FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Edit/delete one's own posts only
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Edit/delete one's own posts only [message #26049] Sat, 02 July 2005 23:41 Go to next message
BobB is currently offline  BobB   United States
It would be nice if users could edit or delete their own posts/replies only. The way it is now, if permissions are set to "Yes" for edit and/or delete, users can edit or delete other people's posts. There is just too much potential for maliciousness there.
Re: Edit/delete one's own posts only [message #26056 is a reply to message #26049] Sun, 03 July 2005 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I think allowing users to delete their own messages is a bad idea, period.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Edit/delete one's own posts only [message #26064 is a reply to message #26056] Sun, 03 July 2005 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Sun, 03 July 2005 11:54

I think allowing users to delete their own messages is a bad idea, period.

Why? The old (FuseTalk) forum from which we changed to FUD had that option. There was never a problem with it. If the option was available, it could be up to the individual administrator to decide whether or not it's a bad idea for the particular situation.

Allowing users to delete other people's posts is a bad idea, a really bad idea. Yet that option is available.
Re: Edit/delete one's own posts only [message #26065 is a reply to message #26064] Sun, 03 July 2005 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about edit? People do make mistakes (not just spelling errors) or post erroneous information unintentionally, then realize it and want to edit the message. In an information-based forum like ours, this can keep that information more accurate.

Giving users the ability to edit any message is a very bad idea. I have to keep both edit and delete disabled because they're both universal and open the door for mischief. The ability to edit/delete ones own messages only is a very nice tool to have available.

I hate to say that anything about FuseTalk is superior to FUD, but this is one aspect which is.
Re: Edit/delete one's own posts only [message #26070 is a reply to message #26065] Sun, 03 July 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's what I've done:

I set up a group to have edit/delete permissions. I've offered to add users to this group as long as they promise to use these features on their own messages only, and not to edit/delete other people's messages. If anyone abuses these privileges, they will be removed from the group.
Re: Edit/delete one's own posts only [message #26078 is a reply to message #26064] Mon, 04 July 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
BobB wrote on Sun, 03 July 2005 14:26

Allowing users to delete other people's posts is a bad idea, a really bad idea. Yet that option is available.

That option is intended for sub-moderators, allowing the admin/group leader to create people with elevated forum access.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Edit/delete one's own posts only [message #26079 is a reply to message #26065] Mon, 04 July 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The forum already allows users to edit their own message, this however is something that is TIME limited, you can control this value via the admin control panel.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Edit/delete one's own posts only [message #26081 is a reply to message #26079] Mon, 04 July 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Sun, 03 July 2005 23:01

The forum already allows users to edit their own message, this however is something that is TIME limited, you can control this value via the admin control panel.

OK, I'll try that. Thanks.
Re: Edit/delete one's own posts only [message #40218 is a reply to message #26079] Thu, 24 January 2008 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Astoria is currently offline  Astoria   United States
Ilia wrote on Sun, 03 July 2005 21:01

I would propose that users also be allowed to delete their own message, as long as it is within their edit time limit and no one has already replied to it.
Re: Edit/delete one's own posts only [message #40317 is a reply to message #40218] Sun, 10 February 2008 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BAD35th is currently offline  BAD35th   Canada
The only negative with a user having delete priviledge is if there is a dispute between members or forum owners and someone leaves upset; I have seen with other forum software where they delete all of their posts...this then leaves big gaps in threads and they don't make much sense to new readers.

So for this fact I would suggest if you add the delete own message priviledge you use the same time value as found in the edit their own messages option. 99% of the time the user wants to delete because they enter a post and then realizes it was answered further on in the same thread and they look stupid...thats when they want to delete it and often PM a mod to do it for them.
Re: Edit/delete one's own posts only [message #40414 is a reply to message #40317] Wed, 27 February 2008 16:41 Go to previous message
Marticus   United States
I agree that editing ones own post should be an optional thing, setting a 0 in the timed edit field should allow them to edit their posts indefinitely. Is this not how it is already? If so, there could be a note of it in the setting description.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 February 2008 16:42]

Report message to a moderator

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Tags & Knowledge Base
Next Topic: Confusing question after real name during registration
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:03:31 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02382 seconds