FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Question on FUDForum capacity....
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Question on FUDForum capacity.... [message #21538] Thu, 02 December 2004 22:33 Go to next message
Watchnut is currently offline  Watchnut   United States
Hi:

I was wondering if someone could point me to the largest FUDforum currently running. That is....what site has an instance of FUD running with the most forums/posts. I am very curious how the forum functions under extreme loads (holding several hundred thousand, or even several million, messages across multiple forums).

So how big can FUD go? Are there actual real-world examples of FUD installations with post counts into the millions?

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance.

Regards,

Michael
Re: Question on FUDForum capacity.... [message #21540 is a reply to message #21538] Thu, 02 December 2004 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Here are some URLs:

http://forum.mediaminer.org/
http://online.startribune.com/forum/
http://www.issociate.de/board/
http://kvetch.indiebride.com/

If you want to see more just search for "powered by fudforum" on google or your favorite search engine.

FUDforum Core Developer
Thank you very much for the response.... [message #21548 is a reply to message #21538] Fri, 03 December 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Watchnut is currently offline  Watchnut   United States
.....was hoping there was a real-world setup of FUD that was about an order of magnitude larger (that is, roughly 5 million posts housed across multiple forums). I'm trying to gauge whether re-indexing of the database on deleted and edits of posts is going to make the software unacceptably slow. Also trying to gauge the efficiency of the search engine on a setup of that magnitude.

Regards,

Michael
Re: Thank you very much for the response.... [message #21549 is a reply to message #21548] Fri, 03 December 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well you can populate the tables with that much data fairly easily. The amount of data does not really matter that much when there are proper indexes in place and I assure you FUDforum has those. Of course with a lot of data speed of your hardware becomes an issue since only soo much can be stored in RAM etc...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Thank you very much for the response.... [message #27343 is a reply to message #21548] Mon, 05 September 2005 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ctbk is currently offline  ctbk   Italy
Watchnut wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 01:34

.....was hoping there was a real-world setup of FUD that was about an order of magnitude larger (that is, roughly 5 million posts housed across multiple forums). I'm trying to gauge whether re-indexing of the database on deleted and edits of posts is going to make the software unacceptably slow. Also trying to gauge the efficiency of the search engine on a setup of that magnitude.

Regards,

Michael

I'm bringing back this thread to ask a question. Anyone has any exprerience with very large forums managed by fud? We've got a forum containing 3.000.000+ messages, and it seems that recently we reached some kind of magic number, because database performance has suddenly become unbearably poor. The cause of all this is the indexing, of course: disabling search functionalities the forum gets blazing fast at once. fud2_index contains 54.000.000+ rows.

We are still using an old version (2.5.0) of the software and we are wondering if something adressing this specific issue has been done in the meanwhile to make an upgrade worth it. You can understand how traumatic could be an upgrade in a forum of such dimensions, and we cannot take any chance unless some drastic optimization hasn't been done. The forum, otherwise, runs perfectly, and this problem presented itself only in the last weeks: we suspect that after a while wait-times grow exponentially instead of linearly.

In your opinion, would be difficult to write a hack to delegate this specific indexing/searching task to another application (running on another machine, for example)?

thanx

~
~
:wq
Re: Thank you very much for the response.... [message #27361 is a reply to message #27343] Tue, 06 September 2005 00:54 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
For large databases you need to "tune" your database server so more data can be stored in memory. You may also was to implement a stop list that will preventing indexing of common words such as "this", "that",etc... By removing those words you can easily trim your index database size.

And of course, UPGRADE! Smile

New versions of the forum have numerous speed optimizations ranging from better tuned code to lockless approach in many situations etc...

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: I have an error
Next Topic: does a database schema of fudforum exist ?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed May 15 06:29:03 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02666 seconds