FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Special forum subscription
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Special forum subscription [message #27345] Mon, 05 September 2005 17:43 Go to next message
Anonymous   Italy
Hi,
I run fudforum for a *small* community of developers.

We needed a feature that once a user is subscribed to a forum he gets mail notifications for any new topic and any new post in the forum, without the need to manually subscribe each new topic.

This proven useful once we realised that often a user does not realise immediately that a new topic is of interest for him, but only at subsequent posts.

We realised this by patching php code of version 2.3.7 which we are still running; we are not skilled in php, so probably we were just a little bit lucky in succeeding ;-)

Could it be reasonable to include this option?

As proposal, smtg like "subscribe, unsubscribe, extended subscribe" for forums.

May be for large sites this feature is probably useless ... or may be not ... I do not know

###

I see two possible ways to roll it out:

1)- have a flag for "extended forum subscription" that if true sends notification, regardless of topic subscription

2)- if "extended forum subscription" is active, user is automatically subscribed to new topics, still leaving the user the possibility to "unsubscribe"

Personally I think the 1) is simpler to implement and to use.

Look forward and thank you for this good product.
Re: Special forum subscription [message #27346 is a reply to message #27345] Mon, 05 September 2005 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
leoniman is currently offline  leoniman   Italy
Sorry guys, I posted the suggestion while not logged.

Topic started by me Wink
Re: Special forum subscription [message #27576 is a reply to message #27346] Mon, 12 September 2005 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Added in CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Special forum subscription [message #27579 is a reply to message #27576] Tue, 13 September 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow! Laughing
I'll try it asap.
Re: Special forum subscription [message #27720 is a reply to message #27579] Fri, 23 September 2005 09:38 Go to previous message
I made some tests with CVS snapshot of sept 14.
Seems working correctly.
Finally I can plan upgrade to 2.7.x version Smile and enjoy all the features there, above all the rdf feed and pdf creation!

I noticed that when creating a new topic the subject of mail notif is "New reply ..." while I think it should be "New topic ..." (at least it was that way in version 2.3.7).

Many thanks guys, and good work.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Unanswered Messages - display order
Next Topic: max. pm not only by size
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu May 09 19:46:26 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02595 seconds