FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Boolean Full-Text Searches
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Boolean Full-Text Searches [message #28025] Thu, 06 October 2005 19:08 Go to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
I've just stumbled on this and thought it would be great if Boolean Full-Text Searches could be implemented in FUDForum - http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/fulltext-boolean.html

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Boolean Full-Text Searches [message #28030 is a reply to message #28025] Fri, 07 October 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Fulltext searching is too slow for large amounts of data.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Boolean Full-Text Searches [message #28035 is a reply to message #28030] Fri, 07 October 2005 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I get conflicting info when searching for this. For example, according to http://www.phpbbstyles.com/viewtopic.php?t=2402:

"For your information: about an hour ago psoTFX added full text search function to phpBB 2.2, so if you are using new mySQL versions then you can use fulltext search that should work very fast."

And http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents.php?mode=faq:

"phpBB 2 uses a Fulltext search system, this has both advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is that on large or busy forums it has far less impact on server load than standard search methods as used by many alternative forums"

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Boolean Full-Text Searches [message #28036 is a reply to message #28035] Fri, 07 October 2005 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
phpBB and performance I rarely hear in the same sentance without a word "NOT" being somewhere in betweeen Smile.

I have benchmarked fulltext searching and it is notably slower then the current searching mechanism used by FUDforum. This mechanism is also MySQL specific and not available in the other 2 database systems FUDforum supports.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Boolean Full-Text Searches [message #28342 is a reply to message #28036] Wed, 19 October 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've just realized that FUDForum's search is not exactly fast either. My Swish-E installation (which also indexes the forum) is at least 3 times faster and provides more functionality (like phrase searches, number indexing, etc.).

Is there nothing that can be done to improve the built-in search (speed and functionality)?

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Boolean Full-Text Searches [message #28353 is a reply to message #28342] Wed, 19 October 2005 13:26 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can deploy an out-of-forum searching solution with Swish-E, Google API, Xapian and others...

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: default forum
Next Topic: user pruning
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 17 20:23:08 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02697 seconds