FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » better img tag
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
better img tag [message #4676] Fri, 02 August 2002 14:47 Go to next message
JamesS is currently offline  JamesS   United States
i dont know how many people have noticed but there is no way to specify a size for an image with the forum img tag. as it is right now if someone links to an image that is very large it will make the thread larger than the screen and a lot of scrolling has to be done to read the thread. if specifying a size was a possibility then the images could be drawn at a smaller size to fix the problem. i would set my board to html but not everyone that reads my board knows html so that would make things more complicated.
Re: better img tag [message #4677 is a reply to message #4676] Fri, 02 August 2002 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Images are a 'special' kinda tag, because of the problems with them there are a number of controls specific to images, such as the ability to limit the # of images per message as well as the ability to disable image tags specifically.

Specifying size won't solve the problem, since most people won't do it anyway and a person can easy say that image's size is 2000X2000 pixels effectively taking up the entire page and more.

There is no 'good' solution to this problem. Your best bet is to
ask your forum members to restrain themselves to certain scale for their images, and if they do not heed to your request handle the issue accordingly. Whether it be disabling of images tags to taking away posting privileges of people who ignore this request is already up to you.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: better img tag [message #4743 is a reply to message #4677] Mon, 05 August 2002 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smike is currently offline  smike   Germany
Perhaps it would be a good thing, if the admin could limit the width of all images so that the layout of the forum wouldn't destroyed.
If the width is limited, the height would be automatically limited by the user (proportion of the image).
Re: better img tag [message #4744 is a reply to message #4743] Mon, 05 August 2002 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
There is a problem with that, if you set the image width limit to 250 pixels for example, all images < 250 pixels wide would get 'expanded' by the browser, causing problems.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: better img tag [message #4747 is a reply to message #4744] Mon, 05 August 2002 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps it is possible to check for the width-value inside an image-tag. If this value is higher the those 250 it will either be set to 250 or there will be shown a warning-message.

Hm, and what about images without a width-value? Set a predefined value?!? This would force all users to set the right values at the image-tag, but what if they don't know them? Is it possible to get the size out of the image?

I see your doubt and I'm looking forward to the next FUD-Version.
Re: better img tag [message #4754 is a reply to message #4747] Tue, 06 August 2002 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, consider what you are suggesting, users would now need to specify the size of the image width/height when inserting an image. I know that plenty of people do not even know how to get this kind of information about an image that is somewhere on the web. So, it is a little unrealistic to expect people to supply such information, it would also over complicate the rather simple [img] tag used now.

Getting the size of a remote image, is possible, HOWEVER it would be quite slow, since in order to do that FUDforum would need to physically download the entire image just to gets its size. Also not an option, since it causes to much server load and could cause severe posting delays, since if the server hosting the image is slow, the posting process would need to wait until the image is fully retrieved. I won't even go into the fact that there maybe >1 image per message.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: better img tag [message #4758 is a reply to message #4754] Tue, 06 August 2002 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I understand the problem.

So we all should be happy to have such a nice and simple image-tag! Razz
img image width [message #28626 is a reply to message #4744] Wed, 02 November 2005 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hurry   India
sMike wrote on Mon, 05 August 2002 16:44

Perhaps it would be a good thing, if the admin could limit the width of all images so that the layout of the forum wouldn't destroyed.
If the width is limited, the height would be automatically limited by the user (proportion of the image).

Ilia wrote

There is a problem with that, if you set the image width limit to 250 pixels for example, all images < 250 pixels wide would get 'expanded' by the browser, causing problems.

I don't mind pics becoming stretched because in my forum hardly anyone will post very pics smaller than 250 and most of the pics are posted by me.

So I really want this admin feature to restrict the width to a fixed pixels of an image (img) because I am parsing the forum rdf feed onto the main page of my site in a two column layout which has a maximum width of 250 pixels for each column. Or even better would be a way to restrict the image width to 250 pixels in the rdf feed like the feature the CaRP parser has.

Is this possible somehow? Thanks.
Re: img image width [message #28634 is a reply to message #28626] Wed, 02 November 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can add a regex in the rss/rdf feed to "tweak" the image tags... you'll need to edit rdf.php.t

FUDforum Core Developer
Re : better img tag [message #28885 is a reply to message #4676] Tue, 15 November 2005 09:13 Go to previous message
math_adm is currently offline  math_adm   France
I vote for the creation of an [eimg] (extended image) tag, that would enable the user to customize a bit the way fudforum will display the image. Such a tag should be able to cope with options like align (to allow text to wrap around the image), width, height, etc. It should also be extensible to allow the (nice Smile ) developper to add extra options in the future.

This would also keep the original img tag for simple users Smile

For example :

[eimg align="left" width="300px"]http://www.mypage.com/img/bigpic.jpg[/eimg]

What do you think ?

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Add subscription option for message navigator
Next Topic: Automatically subscribe moderators
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu May 09 03:55:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02661 seconds