FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Need Help Setting Up Forum
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Need Help Setting Up Forum [message #29124] Thu, 01 December 2005 01:28 Go to next message
alexyhan is currently offline  alexyhan   Canada
Hi

I went to the download page and there was no instructions. i am not expert in this type of thing.

When I click on "install", it springs into a Dreamweaver file - which says basically that my php is too old. is that the php in dreamweaver? it sure isn't in my account for my website et al because i upgraded to php 5 there (netfirms.com)

So....what's missing, what do I need to upgrade, and where are the series of instructions I should be following?

Thanks

Sandra

Re: Need Help Setting Up Forum [message #29125 is a reply to message #29124] Thu, 01 December 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The install.php should be put on your server and then accessed with your browser. If it then says your PHP is too old, it means you need to use newer version of PHP.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Need Help Setting Up Forum [message #29255 is a reply to message #29125] Mon, 05 December 2005 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

How do I customize my forum? For example, i'm trying to customize a forum so that:

1) it's protected - can't access it without a password

2) hybrid (i.e., if you prefer to receive and send emails only, exactly as if you are on a listserv or email discussion list, you can do so, and it looks and functions exactly like a list to you; but if you prefer to log in to the forum instead, and post there, you can do that too

Hmm...those are the two most important considerations. Of course I need to be able to set up categories as well!!

I'm supposed to run a test forum tonight or tomorrow night for a committee - help!

Alexy
Re: Need Help Setting Up Forum [message #29256 is a reply to message #29255] Mon, 05 December 2005 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You customize the forum's look by editing the .tmpl files and make code changes by altering the .t code templates.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Need Help Setting Up Forum [message #29259 is a reply to message #29256] Mon, 05 December 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

thanks for that information.

I don't have experience here. I have experience designing and uploading webpages, though.

i uploaded the install.php file. actually i downloaded and unzipped one file: FUDforum_zl_2-7-3.zip (md5 checksum: 6f7c04cd5513b4aa713f95db7d82761c).

I then uploaded the install.php (well, i uploaded the whole folder).

How do you get it to start installing? When I click on it from my dreamweaver, i can't get anywhere.

How exactly do one install after one put it in a folder online?

Thanks

Sandra

Re: Need Help Setting Up Forum [message #29260 is a reply to message #29259] Mon, 05 December 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You upload install.php to your webserver and then access it via your browser. From there on there is a very simple web installation wizard.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon8.gif  Re: Need Help Setting Up Forum [message #29261 is a reply to message #29260] Tue, 06 December 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simple for you. For me - NOT!

I changed the server root and forum data root to 777, and I got this error message for the third part (the forum www root):

Your WWW_ROOT does not correspond with the SERVER_ROOT path you have specified. (unable to retrive: http://www.(my domain name)/(my folder just for forum)/WWW_ROOT_CHECK, on disk as: 777/WWW_ROOT_CHECK, received data: w/error: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

I don't know what to do! I've tried different ways and can't get anywhere@@@

[Updated on: Tue, 06 December 2005 01:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need Help Setting Up Forum [message #29264 is a reply to message #29261] Tue, 06 December 2005 17:33 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
This error means that your directory does not correspond to the URL you've entered.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Debian Install apt-get
Next Topic: gzuncompress problem on windows XP machine
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:54:51 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05312 seconds