FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Virtual Forum Support - Yes you can
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon4.gif  Virtual Forum Support - Yes you can [message #28765] Thu, 10 November 2005 19:49 Go to next message
ruzam is currently offline  ruzam   Canada
I've been working on patching FUD to support virtual sites. A virtual site is very much like an Apache virtual domain. Virtual forum sites execute the same base FUD code, have access to the same base FUD images, but exist in their own database/datadir environment.

I've now reached the point of a working virtual forum enabled FUD.

Anyone interested in virtual forum hosting can get more information here: http://forum.littlefishdemo.ca

I've put all of the patches and information into a FUD (virtual) forum. It's a work in progress, so things may be broken/missing from time to time.

Hopefully, someday all this code will wind it's way back into the FUD source.
Re: Virtual Forum Support - Yes you can [message #28945 is a reply to message #28765] Sun, 20 November 2005 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now with an easy to use upgrade script so you can try it for yourself: http://forum.littlefishdemo.ca/index.php?t=msg&th=131&start=0
Re: Virtual Forum Support - Yes you can [message #29377 is a reply to message #28765] Fri, 16 December 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
valiant is currently offline  valiant   Switzerland
FYI:
i guess your "virtual forum" solution is usually called "multisite" in other applications (e.g. drupal, gallery2, ...).

What is a multisite?
running multiple independent installations with a single copy of the code (thus saving webspace and simplifying upgrading, ...).

i guess your "virtual forum" is the same as a multisite. so just understand this as a suggestion for naming your solution.
Re: Virtual Forum Support - Yes you can [message #29384 is a reply to message #29377] Fri, 16 December 2005 19:26 Go to previous message
Well, I agree, your multi-site definition fits. When I first started working on this patch I initially used the website domain name as the 'key' making it a multi-site only solution.

Since then though, I've switched to using a SITE variable in the URL so you can in fact run multiple forums on the same site in addition to a site based forums. Where does 'multisite' end and 'virtual' begin?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: a tiny suggestion: moderators and administrators
Next Topic: Change RSS icon
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 17 06:09:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02035 seconds