FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » LDAP Support
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon4.gif  LDAP Support [message #29529] Thu, 29 December 2005 17:50 Go to next message
Anonymous   United Kingdom
Hi there!

First of all, I would like to complement Ilia on producing an excellent forum software package. Its the best one I've found to date!

I was just wondering if there is or will be any support for LDAP directories?

My LDAP directory consists of a number of items, including:-

• LDAP DN
  • User ID
  • Name (Given name & Surname, one field)
  • Given name (First name plus any middle name(s))
  • Surname
  • Directorate/Department
  • Job Title
  • Telephone
  • Mobile
  • Fax
  • Email address
  • Alternative email addresses

The above is shared with other services, including web email and calendar, where you only need enter your user ID and password.

What I was thinking of is having an option during installation or in the CP, where you can set the forum to get the user details from the MySQL database or an LDAP directory.

• Login with User ID and password
  • Message author as "Name" or "Given name" (probably best as former)
  • Email address queried from directory
  • No member list as all data stored in directory. Alternatively, have a directory browser for members?
  • Logout destroys session data (stored in cookie?)

Having LDAP support would be a very useful and important feature, as it would allow the extension of the network. It would also mean that there was no repetition of data (the data would live and not out of date), saving time and of course money.

Just a thought.
Re: LDAP Support [message #29530 is a reply to message #29529] Thu, 29 December 2005 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I don't have any sort of budget available for buying forum software. That's why I'm looking at the free (and quaility) packages available, hence yours.
Re: LDAP Support [message #29531 is a reply to message #29530] Thu, 29 December 2005 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You can use FUDAPI to integrate the forum with LDAP.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: LDAP Support [message #29557 is a reply to message #29531] Fri, 30 December 2005 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ilia,

Thank you for your reply.

Is FUDAPI an extra component that I would need to download, or is it already included within the FUDForum package? Also, is it easy to integrate FUDForum with LDAP?

Many thanks in advance.
Re: LDAP Support [message #29561 is a reply to message #29557] Fri, 30 December 2005 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDAPI is part of the stand distribution, you can find it inside the scripts/ directory of your forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: LDAP Support [message #29784 is a reply to message #29561] Sun, 15 January 2006 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dhaveconfig is currently offline  dhaveconfig   Australia
So it is definitely possible to do LDAP authentication using FUDAPI ?

I'm just browsing the script now, and I have to admit that I'm a bit confused as to how I would use FUDAPI to do this... can I override the login process this way?
Re: LDAP Support [message #29787 is a reply to message #29784] Mon, 16 January 2006 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDAPI provides means of logging a user into the forum. So if you wanted to base your auth on LDAP you'd authenticate the user via this mechanism and then log them in using FUDAPI.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: LDAP Support [message #159030 is a reply to message #29787] Sat, 25 April 2009 15:31 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Hi,

An LDAP plugin was committed to CVS. To use it, install from CVS or wait for the final FUDforum 2.8.1 release.

Best regards.

Frank
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Layout of quotes
Next Topic: "All Message Forum Notification" as a user setting
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 03 21:03:49 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02148 seconds