FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » error in compacting messages
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
error in compacting messages [message #30115] Sun, 05 February 2006 14:43 Go to next message
tufan is currently offline  tufan   Turkey
Hi,

I just upgraded to 2.7.4 from 2.7.3RC3 without any problem. The forum works normally, but I'm getting the following error message when I try to compact messages. How can I solve the problem, and is the incomplete process critical/harmful for the forum?

----
Compacting private messages...
(/home/one9org/FUDforum/include/theme/default/db.inc:73
/home/one9org/public_www/forum/adm/compact.php:163
) 1061: Duplicate key name 'fud2_pmsg_foff_idx'
Query: CREATE INDEX fud2_pmsg_foff_idx ON fud2_pmsg (foff)
_POST: array ( 'conf' => 'Yes', 'SQ' => '14632f690be95f97b408903d3cc2abbc', )
Server Version: 4.1.14-standard-log
[Referring Page] http://19.org/forum/adm/compact.php?rid=2&SQ=14632f690be95f97b408903d3c c2abbc
----

http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Buttons/firefox2/firefox-spread-btn-1.png
Re: error in compacting messages [message #30116 is a reply to message #30115] Sun, 05 February 2006 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
It looks like the temporary index was not removed in the previous run and attempts to create it now are failing. To solve this remove the fud2_pmsg_foff_idx index manually, after this the code will work.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: error in compacting messages [message #30121 is a reply to message #30116] Sun, 05 February 2006 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This time it says "FATAL ERROR: system ran out of disk space". Running again gives the error in my first message. I guess a topic exists on this fatal error in this forum, I'm reading but couldn't understand yet how my case is related.

http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Buttons/firefox2/firefox-spread-btn-1.png
Re: error in compacting messages [message #30131 is a reply to message #30121] Mon, 06 February 2006 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Do you have mbstring extension enabled?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: error in compacting messages [message #30148 is a reply to message #30131] Mon, 06 February 2006 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it's enabled.

Re: error in compacting messages [message #30149 is a reply to message #30148] Tue, 07 February 2006 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You need to make sure that mbstring function overload is disabled.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: error in compacting messages [message #32707 is a reply to message #30149] Mon, 17 July 2006 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BobB is currently offline  BobB   United States
Ilia wrote on Mon, 06 February 2006 19:00

You need to make sure that mbstring function overload is disabled.

A few questions:

Where is the mbstring function?
How is it enabled?
How does one disable mbsting function overload?
Will this restore messages, all of which are now missing? If not, how can messages be restored?

Thanks.
Re: error in compacting messages [message #32714 is a reply to message #30115] Mon, 17 July 2006 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It looks like it's a php thing. My phpinfo shows mbstring enabled for each of several languages, and mbstring.func_overload is set to 0 for both local value and master value. Does that mean it's disabled?

My main concern right now is restoring some 234,000 missing messages. Can you please help me out with that?

Thanks.
Re: error in compacting messages [message #32729 is a reply to message #30115] Mon, 17 July 2006 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I encountered this problem because I have not upgraded the software in some time. That's because upgrades are not friendly for heavily modified forums. They revert everything back to the out-of-the-box state, so every single modification has to be re-done. In my case, although I've kept a careful record of every mod done, it's hours of work to re-do everything. Even the icons have to be replaced again.

Is it possible to furnish an upgrade as such, one that only replaces the files which have changed since the previous version, instead of putting it in the form of a complete re-install? If there was, I would have been keeping up with upgrades and would not have encountered this potentially fatal bug.

I hope you will consider this.

Thanks.
Re: error in compacting messages [message #32733 is a reply to message #32729] Mon, 17 July 2006 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It is not possible because if the old files are kept they may refer to code no longer present in the new version or no longer used templates resulting in a broken forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: error in compacting messages [message #32741 is a reply to message #32733] Tue, 18 July 2006 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Mon, 17 July 2006 16:43

It is not possible because if the old files are kept they may refer to code no longer present in the new version or no longer used templates resulting in a broken forum.

Icons???

Those files affected in any way should be in the upgrade version. Files that are not affected don't need to be replaced and only cause unnecessary work if they are replaced.

But I'm not going to get into another argument here just because I disagree with something. Do what you want and I'll do what I have to do. Right now I have to deal with 237,000 missing messages and a possibly corrupted backup because the compact message bug hit while a backup was in progress.

I have a seriously broken forum right now.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 July 2006 01:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: error in compacting messages [message #32749 is a reply to message #32741] Tue, 18 July 2006 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
IF the file was not changed, the upgrade script will not replace it, it only changes the files that have been modified since the last release.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: error in compacting messages [message #32751 is a reply to message #32749] Tue, 18 July 2006 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The message compactor problem is much more than a "bug", it's a catastophe. I have lost OVER TEN YEARS worth of material and a crucial part of my business.

Was there ever a warning issued about this? Searching this forum after the fact reveals that several others have fallen victim to this. Was no one warned? I had no reason to search this forum before running the message compactor because I had no reason to suspect it would result in a total disaster.

Looking through my own records, I see I ran the message compactor after the intitial install of the FUD software and the transfer of messages from the previous forum with no such problem. I did do an upgrade after that. At what point did this disasterous version of the message compactor appear? Was it not tested before that version was released?

My situation is compounded because of backup problems, so I have a real mess on my hands that is going to take a lot of time and effort to resolve. My forum will probably never be the same again. The backup problems are on my end, but wouldn't exist if the message compactor hadn't wreaked the havoc it did.

I'm sorry, but this really, really sucks!

Re: error in compacting messages [message #32752 is a reply to message #32751] Tue, 18 July 2006 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now I find I cannot post to one of the forums. Create Topic, replying to or editing any messages in this one forum produces the error "the system has ran out of disc space". The system is not out of disc space and all other forums are accepting posts, replies and edits OK.

Any help here??

Re: error in compacting messages [message #32762 is a reply to message #32752] Wed, 19 July 2006 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The buggy version of the compactor was present in early 2.7 series releases and was fixed by about 2.7.3 release if my memory serves me right. The compactor itself is something that's rarely needed as it only makes sense to run in situations where a lot of messages have been deleted from the forum and there is a desire to reclaim some disk space.

As far as disk space issue thing, it can be caused by one of two things:

1) Forum does not have write permissions for messages/ directory or the msg_* files found within.

2) You are running with mbstring where function overload is enabled.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: error in compacting messages [message #32764 is a reply to message #32762] Wed, 19 July 2006 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Wed, 19 July 2006 07:43

The buggy version of the compactor was present in early 2.7 series releases and was fixed by about 2.7.3 release if my memory serves me right.

A warning should be prominently posted. Don't assume that no one is running earlier versions. I'm only the most recent one to fall victim to this. There could be others in the future. In my case, this is extremely damaging to my business, making it look bad while making the competition look good. It would take about a minute to post one using the announcement manager. There have been many lawsuits over the lack of warning about something dangerous.

Quote:

As far as disk space issue thing, it can be caused by one of two things:

1) Forum does not have write permissions for messages/ directory or the msg_* files found within.

2) You are running with mbstring where function overload is enabled.

This does not explain why this one forum is no longer accepting posts while all the others are OK. It also does not explain why this one forum was fine before running the Data Corrupter (since you've changed "FAQ" to "Help", I'm changing "Message Compactor" to "Data Corrupter").

I've enlisted a data recovery expert to look at my situation. I hope he can help.
Re: error in compacting messages [message #32765 is a reply to message #32764] Wed, 19 July 2006 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
y0shi is currently offline  y0shi   Germany
BobB wrote on Wed, 19 July 2006 13:48

A warning should be prominently posted. Don't assume that no one is running earlier versions. I'm only the most recent one to fall victim to this. There could be others in the future. In my case, this is extremely damaging to my business, making it look bad while making the competition look good. It would take about a minute to post one using the announcement manager. There have been many lawsuits over the lack of warning about something dangerous.

?! in what kind of world do you live?
can you tell me what you pay for using FUDforum?

And by the way, I think they try to give there best and new versions come because they are an improvement I think.
Re: error in compacting messages [message #32766 is a reply to message #32765] Wed, 19 July 2006 18:31 Go to previous message
y0shi wrote on Wed, 19 July 2006 11:06

?! in what kind of world do you live?
can you tell me what you pay for using FUDforum?

I have paid you money, lots of it, and you know it. I would have contributed more if your customer service was friendly and helpful instead of smug and insulting. Besides, something doesn't have to cost anything in order to do great damage. Did anyone pay for Hurricane Katrina?

In what kind of world do you live where changing "FAQ" to "Help" is more important than preventing great harm??

That's all I have to say on this. I need to try to save my business and my livelihood from this disaster.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: errors using pdo sqlite
Next Topic: Can someone please tell me what is going on?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 05 06:48:31 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02710 seconds