FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Plugins and Code Hacks » Read / Unread indicators on compact forums
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Read / Unread indicators on compact forums [message #30704] Thu, 09 March 2006 23:32 Go to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
Anyone got a hack for adding read / unread indicators for compact forums?

I tried to just add {VAR: forum_read_indicator} but that didnt help (Just shows as "No new messages" all the time).

So, if anyone but me thinks read/unread indicators would be nice on compact subforums, hollar if you got the thm/src tweak )

Re: Read / Unread indicators on compact forums [message #36309 is a reply to message #30704] Thu, 15 March 2007 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bileduct is currently offline  bileduct   United States
It's been over a year since this post, so I'm hoping maybe some bright spark has addressed this by now. Our forum has a bunch of categories, and a ton of forums. It'd be nice to default all of these guys to being collapsed, but everyone LOVEs seeing the big yellow lightbulbs that indicate new content, which disappear in the collapsed view.

The ideal solution here would be if the collapsed category items had a lightbulb indicator that would be grey if no new unread messages existed in any of that category's forums, yellow if anything was new.

And yeah, everyone knows about the "Unread Messages" setting, but it's somehow just not the same as the visceral joy of seeing those damn yellow lightbulbs. Smile

Any suggestions?
Re: Read / Unread indicators on compact forums [message #36312 is a reply to message #30704] Fri, 16 March 2007 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
File: index.tmpl -> idx_compact_forum_entry

Original code:
&nbsp;&nbsp;{IF: _uid && $r[14] < $r[2] && $usr->last_read < $r[2]}**{ENDIFI}<a href="{TEMPLATE: index_forum_entry_lnk}">{VAR: r[10]}</a>

My code on my forum:
{IF: _uid && $r[14] < $r[2] && $usr->last_read < $r[2]} {TEMPLATE: forum_unread}{ELSE} {TEMPLATE: forum_read}{END} <a href="{TEMPLATE: index_forum_entry_lnk}">{VAR: r[10]}</a>

Re: Read / Unread indicators on compact forums [message #36377 is a reply to message #30704] Tue, 20 March 2007 14:10 Go to previous message
bileduct is currently offline  bileduct   United States
Just to followup, Ernesto's suggestion works like a champ. I redid our icons to use the tiny lightbulbs that are used for user online/offline status, and we have one compact, easy-to-scan forum frontpage now.

Thanks, Ernesto!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Avatar Moderator flag
Next Topic: Embedding an IFrame in a post?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:44:32 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02516 seconds