FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Redirecting suggestion
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Redirecting suggestion [message #32016] Wed, 31 May 2006 21:52 Go to next message
Anonymous   Poland
It would be useful for the moderators (yeah, i'm one of them) to be redirected to the created post when using the option of joining 2 posts. Right now it doesn't redirect anywhere.
Re: Redirecting suggestion [message #32067 is a reply to message #32016] Tue, 06 June 2006 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
And right now it doesnt really join two threads, it deletes the old two and creates a new third one, resetting the views count. Or something like that Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 06 June 2006 13:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Redirecting suggestion [message #32082 is a reply to message #32067] Wed, 07 June 2006 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
That is how it is supposed to work.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Redirecting suggestion [message #32084 is a reply to message #32016] Wed, 07 June 2006 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not according to me, but I am silly of course =)

To me, merge of threads would be taking one thread and attaching it at the end of another thread =)

It still works fine and all but, that still how I perceive merging of threads =)

Re: Redirecting suggestion [message #32964 is a reply to message #32082] Mon, 07 August 2006 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
_wj_ is currently offline  _wj_   Ukraine

Ilia

That is how it is supposed to work.

But what is the reason of choosing such an algorithm?
Re: Redirecting suggestion [message #32970 is a reply to message #32964] Mon, 07 August 2006 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
When you merge topics you create a new topic, therefor all view counters are set to 0.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Redirecting suggestion [message #32990 is a reply to message #32970] Tue, 08 August 2006 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ilia

When you merge topics you create a new topic, therefor all view counters are set to 0.

In theory that is correct, but in real forum's life that work not so good. As example: I have one big thread about PlayStation 2 in my forum and when users creating a new threds with equal content, I just merge it to a big one. But view counter of big thread is then set to 0. Big topic with thousands of messages have than only a few views. My users don't understand it. It seems just unreasonable...
Re: Redirecting suggestion [message #32997 is a reply to message #32990] Tue, 08 August 2006 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, if you want to maintain view counts it would be a fairly easy tweak for you to make inside the merge_th.php.t script. Just make the query do SUM(views) and stuff the returned value into the views column of the new thread entry.

I still think 0 is the proper value, but I am open to the idea of changing and would like to hear feedback from other FUDforum users on the matter.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Redirecting suggestion [message #32999 is a reply to message #32997] Tue, 08 August 2006 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ilia wrote on Tue, 08 August 2006 18:07

Well, if you want to maintain view counts it would be a fairly easy tweak for you to make inside the merge_th.php.t script. Just make the query do SUM(views) and stuff the returned value into the views column of the new thread entry.

Thank you for reply. I don't know PHP, but I will deliver this info to our programmer.
Re: Redirecting suggestion [message #33019 is a reply to message #32016] Tue, 08 August 2006 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I have this picture thread where the users posts their pictures, it had a couple of thousand views. Now some guy hits the wrong key and posts his picture in a new thread instead.
So, I wanna attach the picture to the correct thread - Move the post to its correct thread so to speak. But when I do, the view count gets reseted. Not that it matters all that much for the functionality, nor do my users cry if a view count gets reseted every now and then after I moderate the threads/forums, but if right should be right, the view count of the thread where you "attach" (merge with your lingo) the other thread should be preserved. Perhaps even summed up as you suggested above.

Re: Redirecting suggestion [message #33038 is a reply to message #32970] Wed, 09 August 2006 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ilia wrote on Mon, 07 August 2006 20:37

When you merge topics you create a new topic...

...and all subscriptions to old threads will be destroyed :(((
Re: Redirecting suggestion [message #33044 is a reply to message #33038] Wed, 09 August 2006 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Actually that's not true, FUDforum does move over the subscriptions to the topic in question as well as read markers.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Redirecting suggestion [message #33066 is a reply to message #33044] Thu, 10 August 2006 15:22 Go to previous message

Oh, sorry, you have right. On v2.7.5 it really work (I use old v2.6.11).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Message Posting Summary
Next Topic: Extra User IM fields
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 03 10:28:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03406 seconds