FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Message to submit
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Message to submit [message #3235] Fri, 14 June 2002 13:06 Go to next message
smike is currently offline  smike   Germany
It would be nice to have the possibility to show all users of the forum (or of a special group) a message, which they have to submit after reading. If they wouldn't the message will be shown at next login.

The possibility to show a message at top of a forum is nice, but you couldn't be sure, that these users go into that forum where the message is put to, and read that message.

Is it planned to create this feature in FUD 2.1?
Re: Message to submit [message #3238 is a reply to message #3235] Fri, 14 June 2002 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I am not certain I understand what exactly this feature would do, could you please elaborate?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Message to submit [message #3298 is a reply to message #3238] Sun, 16 June 2002 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I try to explain in other words.

If you want to tell some news to one special user, you send him a PM.
If you want to tell more people some news, you have the possibility to send everybody a PM, or you use the announcement manager to put your news to some forums.
What would you do, if you want to tell some users real important news? You can use again the announcement manager and put an announcement to every forum on your server. But, what about all the other users, who are not concerned of your news? They see the message all the time.
Now, you can say, that you put your important news only to that forums, where the users go, who are affected by this news. But, what happens, if they don't go to that forum?

I think, it would be a good thing, to have a kind of PM, which would be automatically displayed, if a users logs in. At the end of that message should be a kind of submit button, which should be clicked after reading the message. If the users didn't click the button, he gets the news again automatically at his next login. You could be sure, that this user gets your message. Of course you couldn't know, whether the user really read the message, nor understood it.

FUD has a very good groups management! Perhaps it would be possible to send these special message I described not only to users, but also to groups of users. This would minimize the risk of forgetting to send the news to a special user of that group, and of course saves time.

Puh, a long text, but I hope it's more clear now! Smile
Bye, Mike
Re: Message to submit [message #3300 is a reply to message #3298] Sun, 16 June 2002 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Uhm... as you've pointed out there are numerous way to send messages to the users on the forum. For example a PM, an announcment or mass email to all users.

If you are trying to convey very important news, then the best choice would probably be the mass email option from the admin control panel.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Message to submit [message #3301 is a reply to message #3300] Sun, 16 June 2002 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Sun, 16 June 2002 23:10

If you are trying to convey very important news, then the best choice would probably be the mass email option from the admin control panel.

I didn't want to annoy all users with messages that are only important to one group of users.
IMHO sending messages to groups of users is the logical expand of limiting access of forums to a defined group.

How difficult is it to implement the possibility to send PMs to a group of users, which is defined at the group manager?

BTW, wouldn't that be a feature, that other forums didn't have? Cool

[Updated on: Sun, 16 June 2002 21:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Message to submit [message #3302 is a reply to message #3301] Sun, 16 June 2002 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Just adding features for the sake of features creates bloat. That is not they way we wish to go. What you are asking for is already possible, the private messansing system allows a user to send PMs to more then 1 person. Hence, if you want to send an announcment to a certain group of users you simply use the PM system. If you want to make your life easier add those users to your buddy list, then via a single click you'll be able to send them your message.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Message to submit [message #3312 is a reply to message #3302] Mon, 17 June 2002 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with you, that we shouldn't blow up FUD. The first aim is to produce a forum which is as stable as possible. I think FUD has reached a very stable state at the moment.

I don't agree, that the requested feature is possible to do with FUD at this time. Not in a usable or comfortable way.

If you want to send a message to a group with 20 users, you have to add them manually to your PM. What would you do, if you want to send the same group another message?!? Uh, not again adding all those users! Sure, you can edit your previous posting (with the same recipients), to save the time typing all the users, but that's not the right way I think.

What happens, if you want to send again a message, and the amount of members of that group has increased (user added by the forum-leader)? I'm quite sure, that you forget to send these new members your PM.

It would be really nice, to send PMs, for example to all developers, producers, business men or trainees, that of course already have their "own" forum.

Just another thought...

[Updated on: Tue, 18 June 2002 15:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Message to submit [message #3313 is a reply to message #3312] Mon, 17 June 2002 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Not entirely true.

See, in order to add a user to any group someone still has got to add the user to a certain group/list. Why not add the user to the buddy list, then you can click on the 'Select from Buddy List' link on the PM and using the 'All' link on the popup select all users.
This way you can always easily select the users from your buddy list.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Message to submit [message #3314 is a reply to message #3313] Mon, 17 June 2002 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This only works if the person who adds the user is the same who wants to write the PM. What should you do if their's is a group-leader and an administrator?

If you do it like the way you describe you get in trouble if you have two or more groups.
Re: Message to submit [message #19233 is a reply to message #3235] Fri, 02 July 2004 14:36 Go to previous message
Anonymous   Germany
Please also visit my <A
HREF="http://www.domain.co.uk">Domain</A>
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: email to a friend msg template on per user basis
Next Topic: [del]…[/del]
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 04 01:50:01 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03818 seconds