FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Migrating from 2.6.15 to 2.7.5, using forum-dump feature, crashes
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Migrating from 2.6.15 to 2.7.5, using forum-dump feature, crashes [message #32597] Mon, 10 July 2006 23:54 Go to next message
ligesh is currently offline  ligesh   India

HI,

I took a forum dump on 2.6.5 on one domain and tried restoring it on a 2.7.5 in ANOTHER domain, and i got this error, and the forum totally crashed. the problem is that the themes r not built at all, and thus many many functions r missing.

This was teh actual error that i got while restoring the dump.

Quote:

Recompiling Templates
DUPE: SECTION -> register_err_turing found in /home/root/work/forum.lxlabs.com/fuddata/thm/default/tmpl/captcha.tmpl (now parsing /home/root/work/forum.lxlabs.com/fuddata/thm/default/tmpl/register.tmpl)

[Updated on: Mon, 10 July 2006 23:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Migrating from 2.6.15 to 2.7.5, using forum-dump feature, crashes [message #32599 is a reply to message #32597] Tue, 11 July 2006 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You cannot restore a dump on a different FUDforum version then the one dump was originally created on.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Migrating from 2.6.15 to 2.7.5, using forum-dump feature, crashes [message #32602 is a reply to message #32597] Tue, 11 July 2006 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

OK sorry.

I tried the proper way. That is i ran the upgrade script, but then it removed all my old themes and replaced it with default. I copied the old themes back and compiled the new theme, then fudforum crashed again, and there was no more output.

Actually that's a serious problem with fudforum. If the theme crashes, then even the admin section doesn't work, since FUD dynamically creates the php files. Anyway, i don't think the old theme will work with 2.7.5 since there seems to be a lot of changes across versions.

Thanks.
Re: Migrating from 2.6.15 to 2.7.5, using forum-dump feature, crashes [message #32603 is a reply to message #32602] Tue, 11 July 2006 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Woo hoo. i copied the drawmsg.tmpl, header.tmpl ONLY and removed a reference to imsg.tmpl and recompiled, and thankfully it appears, i got my theme back. i hadn't changed anything else.

Anyway, will fudforum get a decent defaul theme anytime?

thanks.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 July 2006 00:59]

Re: Migrating from 2.6.15 to 2.7.5, using forum-dump feature, crashes [message #32623 is a reply to message #32603] Tue, 11 July 2006 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You are free to submit a patch with a better theme, I will be more then happy to review it.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Migrating from 2.6.15 to 2.7.5, using forum-dump feature, crashes [message #32629 is a reply to message #32623] Tue, 11 July 2006 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK Here's it.

ONly two files r changed. drawmsg.tmpl and forum.css.tmpl

And the changes are very minor, and yet it creates message layout (at least according to my personal taste) something that's really professional.

Thanks.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 July 2006 23:56]

Re: Migrating from 2.6.15 to 2.7.5, using forum-dump feature, crashes [message #32655 is a reply to message #32629] Wed, 12 July 2006 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've reviewed the change and in my option it makes the layout cluttered and unreadable. Furthermore it goes against the current layout scheme that is made to work on screens with small resolutions found on things like PDAs.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Migrating from 2.6.15 to 2.7.5, using forum-dump feature, crashes [message #32657 is a reply to message #32655] Thu, 13 July 2006 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, the same old argument. Have to work in PDA? HOw many people use PDAs?

The idea is to have 'left margin'. The margin is a great thing, and gives a nice feel. Which is why we have margins in the notebooks for kids. YOu always leave a little space on the left while writing. i don't know the actual psychological phenomena at work here, but that left space is absolutely essential, and it is teh LACK of this left-space that's making the current forum look cluttered and ugly.

Actually, all i have done is change it to the standard layout sported by forums like invisionboard etc, which is actually the most popular layout in teh internet.

Anyway, i don't want to get into a drawn out argument since i see that u are adament in ur attitude towards the 'left margin', and is not going to change it, and i am making this post using galeon, which i am not comfortable with. (emacs-w3m, lynx etc doesn't seem to work properly with forums nowadays.)

i am really surprised though, since i have not made any change other than move the user information to teh left. And if u r not ready to accept such a minor change, then i guess, any attempt to come up with a good design is futile.

For anyone interestd in seeing my layout, they can see it here:

http://ligesh.com/forum

i have changed ONLY the message layout and all i have done is move the user info to the left nad then change the dull gray to a much softer and soothing blue colour.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 July 2006 00:13]

Re: Migrating from 2.6.15 to 2.7.5, using forum-dump feature, crashes [message #32666 is a reply to message #32657] Thu, 13 July 2006 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It ideally should work on PDA and also work on non-full screen browser windows.
The fact you feel your layout format is better is great, but that's just your opinion, one I happen to disagree with.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Migrating from 2.6.15 to 2.7.5, using forum-dump feature, crashes [message #32672 is a reply to message #32666] Thu, 13 July 2006 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 13 July 2006 09:44

It ideally should work on PDA and also work on non-full screen browser windows.

haha, So f*ing funny. "It should work for people with PDAs....". So what about people WITHOUT Computers? What about the millions starving in Africa. What about the millions suffering in war torn areas? Will your layout work for them too?

Mine is the layout that's used by most of the forums on teh internet, and some of them have even narrower text area. That is, the forum itself doesn't occupy the entire space, and have links or other information on either sides.

My layout will work on PDAs, though it may not be as ideal on a PDA. But then again, that's not the f*ing aim of a forum. If a person is using a PDA, then he must be ready for compromises, and we cannot cater to every single whim of every single individual.

Quote:

The fact you feel your layout format is better is great, but that's just your opinion, one I happen to disagree with.

Nope. It is not "FEEL". i gave u the explanation. I don't "FEEL" anything. i have always tried to find the actual process behind why we find something beautiful. And i explained teh reason very clearly. The key idea is: LEFT MARGIN. That's a must, and that creates a better feeling.

Secondly, i don't use my forum. i don't use graphical stuff at all. i have tightly integrated it with a mailing list, and i have seldom visited my forums. i am only interested in how others will perceive it.

Anyway, as i said, arguing with u is pointless. You are simply inventing specious excuses to justify ur choice of bad design. (work for people with PDAs, starving people, people with AIDS, and what not). Just take care of the majority situations. You shouldn't ruin the majority situtation by being obsessed about a 100 people. That's a very bad way of thinking.

OK, at least advertise this at the beginning. FUDforum: Forum for people with PDAs ONLY.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 July 2006 15:55]

Re: Migrating from 2.6.15 to 2.7.5, using forum-dump feature, crashes [message #32683 is a reply to message #32672] Fri, 14 July 2006 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yawn...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Migrating from 2.6.15 to 2.7.5, using forum-dump feature, crashes [message #32689 is a reply to message #32683] Fri, 14 July 2006 20:05 Go to previous message

Yeah, whatever. As i said, i am using galeon, and hate typing in this godawful text area thingy. So no more posts from me.

Anyway, keep using the bad design. GOod for me. Now everyone who uses this forum gets the shitty design, while i have a good one. hehe.

Fudforum looks far far more professional than phpbb in every area except for the message layout. And much stabler and bug free too. And in built mailing list. So for me, i have got everthing--just have to tolerate the nagging problem of migrating my layout to every new version, which i can live with for the present.

Anyway, you are a typical geek nut case. (I used to be one too, but i grew out of it.). Too much coding has caused brain damage. You should take up some other interests like psychiatry or philosophy, or music or something, or else ur brain is going to be permanently fried from too much logical thinking.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Mailing List Integration No Longer works in 2.7.5
Next Topic: FudFOrum doesn't set proper Reply-To tags when sending mails to mailing list (Again, not FUD issue)
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:04:29 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02772 seconds