FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » IE-only attachment download problems
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
IE-only attachment download problems [message #16237] Wed, 21 January 2004 17:50 Go to next message
mkettler is currently offline  mkettler   United States
I'm having trouble with attachments on my fudForum.

Mozilla users can deal with attachments just fine.

Using IE 6, attachments that generate a "save" dialog fail. Attachments handled in-line by the browser like jpegs work when you click on them, but zips, gzips, ppt's, xls's etc do not.

right-clicking on the link and selecting "save target as" generates the following error message from IE:
"The file could not be written to the cache"

Clicking the link, and selecting "save" from the resultant dialog generates:
"Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found please try again later"

I've tried disabling referrer checks (in general and for attachments), rebuilding the theme, and doing a consistency check on the forum.

The apache logs indicate a successful access and do not report errors when the IE client tries the file.

The same IE client CAN download gzips from THIS forum, but not mine.

Is there a setting I should check?
Re: IE-only attachment download problems [message #16241 is a reply to message #16237] Wed, 21 January 2004 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkettler is currently offline  mkettler   United States
From reading over in bug reports. This seems to be related to caching and the use of SSL.
Re: IE-only attachment download problems [message #16278 is a reply to message #16241] Sun, 25 January 2004 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Fixed in CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: IE-only attachment download problems [message #24360 is a reply to message #16278] Mon, 25 April 2005 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonmoss is currently offline  jonmoss   United States

Is this fixed in 2.6.13RC1?

I have several users complaining about not being able to open or save attachments.

When the try to do Save Target As . . . it wants to save the index.php file and not the attachment.

Or if they click on the attachment link, and get an Open/Save dialog box, Open gives an error that the file could not be found. Save will have them save the file to a local folder (usually My Documents) and then they have to go find it and open it.

Strangely, this does not occur for me. If I click on the attachment link, I still get the error message trying to click Open, but if I save, I get another instance of the dialog box and then I can click Open just fine.

Thanks and have a great day!

Jon Moss

[Updated on: Mon, 25 April 2005 18:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: IE-only attachment download problems [message #24362 is a reply to message #24360] Mon, 25 April 2005 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Haven't seen such a problem, nor can I replicate it on my development server.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: IE-only attachment download problems [message #32221 is a reply to message #24360] Thu, 15 June 2006 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dadnad is currently offline  dadnad   Australia
Hi Jon,

I seem to be experiencing the same error with IE. Same symptoms you've described here. I have a feeling it's not a forum related issue but might be more to do with IE...

has anyone else had this problem? If so is it fixable, either in fudforum or IE?

Thanks in advance

Adam.
Re: IE-only attachment download problems [message #32257 is a reply to message #32221] Sun, 18 June 2006 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
What version of the forum are you using, does the problem you've described happen on this forum for example?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: IE-only attachment download problems [message #32285 is a reply to message #32257] Mon, 19 June 2006 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ilia,
I am using 2.6.13. I actually did a bit of hacking in the getfile.php to alter the headers produced when downloading a file in IE 6 to make it work properly and it seems to have worked for the most part.

The actual problem ( in windows ) can be described as :

1. click on link choose open
2. file downloads then application either complains file can't be found or ( if zip file ) that it's corrupt.

1. click on link and choose save as
2. automatically chooses to save file as htm ( html )

Now I seem to get a new error with IE 7 where the altered headers I use logout a user when they download an attached file... it's very annoying.

I'm adding the "Cache-Control: must-revalidate" header which makes IE 6 work but now causes IE 7 some troubles... I was wondering if others have experienced similar problems and what they're solutions might be short of upgrading which I don't have a problem with doing but was kinda hoping for a nice quick fix... like anyone Surprised)

I'm guessing that upgrading might solve these problems?

Thanks again.

Adam.
Re: IE-only attachment download problems [message #32286 is a reply to message #32285] Mon, 19 June 2006 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That's a really old version, I am quite certain it works in the new code, you may want to check current getfile.php.t and root_index.php.t and compare them with what you are currently using.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: IE-only attachment download problems [message #32631 is a reply to message #32286] Wed, 12 July 2006 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again,
I've just upgraded our running version of fud from 2.6.13 to 2.7.5 and am still experiencing the problem with IE attachments.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Cheers,

Adam.
Re: IE-only attachment download problems [message #32654 is a reply to message #32631] Wed, 12 July 2006 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Is the problem in IE6 or IE7? Are you sending any extra headers beyond the ones the forum sends normally? Is the forum running on http:// or https:// ?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: IE-only attachment download problems [message #32656 is a reply to message #32654] Wed, 12 July 2006 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm experiencing this problem in both IE 6. and 7. Initially I'd thought it was only relevant to IE 7. but after some tests involving IE 6. I've discovered it happens with it too.

The forum is running http not https, the getfile.php code is unaltered since it's upgrade...

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Cheers,
Adam.

Re: IE-only attachment download problems [message #32658 is a reply to message #32656] Thu, 13 July 2006 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again,
I'm replying to my own post here but think I've managed to get a working hack.

I checked out the headers being sent with downloads and noticed the Cache-Control headers were sending :

"Cache-Control: no-store, private, must-revalidate, proxy-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0, max-age=0, s-maxage=0"

when downloading a file.

I put a line in getfile.php like this

header("Cache-Control:");

basically setting it to nothing and things appear to be working properly.

Cheers,
Adam T.
Re: IE-only attachment download problems [message #32664 is a reply to message #32658] Thu, 13 July 2006 13:38 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Does changing the header to
header("Cache-Control: must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0", 1);

do the trick? We use this "hack" for IE in https:// but not http, I wonder if perhaps it is needed for http:// as well...

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: how to remove posting password?
Next Topic: Forcing linked and uploaded pics into an IFRAME
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 08:50:31 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02498 seconds