FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » problem with mailing list feature
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
problem with mailing list feature [message #32850] Thu, 27 July 2006 15:34 Go to next message
jacpad is currently offline  jacpad   Germany
hi,
i'm using the fudforum 2.7.3 and i have a problem with the mailing list feature.

i receive messages and forward them to the mailing list script without errors in the procmail log, but they don't appear in the forum.
i tested via the cat command and this message is in the forum. but when i send a message it disappears.

any help is welcome - thanx
patrik
Re: problem with mailing list feature [message #32852 is a reply to message #32850] Thu, 27 July 2006 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Did you unlock the forum's file permissions?
Also is message approval in the import rule enabled?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: problem with mailing list feature [message #32854 is a reply to message #32852] Thu, 27 July 2006 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
messages are set to 666
scripts to 775
rest is 750

and i'm afraid i don't understand your second question...
Re: problem with mailing list feature [message #32864 is a reply to message #32854] Fri, 28 July 2006 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
In the mailing list control panel there is an option called "Moderate Mailing List Posts" is it set to Yes or No? If it is set to yes, change it to no.

Also check the message database to see if you can spot the messages from the import.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: problem with mailing list feature [message #32865 is a reply to message #32864] Fri, 28 July 2006 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The moderation options are all set to no(all the time).

I check the database for the messages but they where not there.

I tried some things since yesterday and found the messages in /var/spool/mail - where procmail is moving them.
I think this is an issue on procmail so I paste my line here:

LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log
VERBOSE=yes
LOGABSTRACT=all

:0:$HOME/.procmail.lock
* ^TO_.*myaddress.*
|/usr/bin/php -q /mypath/fud/scripts/maillist.php 1

So it looks like procmail moves the mails to the "default location" and not to the script.

Here from the procmail log:
procmail: Match on "(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-Envelope|Apparently(-Resent)?)-To)Sad.*[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])?).*myaddress.*"
procmail: Locking "/home/myhome/.procmail.lock"
procmail: Executing "/usr/bin/php,-q,/mypath/fud/scripts/maillist.php,1"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/usr/bin/php -q /mypath/fud/scripts/maillist.php 1"
procmail: Unlocking "/home/myhome/.procmail.lock"
procmail: Notified comsat: "myaddress@:/usr/bin/php -q /mypath/fud/scripts/maillist.php 1"

where is the mistake here ???
Re: problem with mailing list feature [message #32866 is a reply to message #32865] Fri, 28 July 2006 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It looks to me that it IS executing the PHP script, since procmail claims there was a match. Have you tried the checking the forum's database for messages?

Also have you tried doing:

cat message | /usr/bin/php -q /mypath/fud/scripts/maillist.php 1

and seeing if the message gets imported?

If you have php error logging enabled see if any errors are present there and if you don't have it enabled, enable the PHP error log.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: problem with mailing list feature [message #32867 is a reply to message #32866] Fri, 28 July 2006 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I check the database and no messages there.

If I use the cat command, the mail IS in the forum, that's what confuses me.

As I am a developer, but without any php experience - tell what I have to do and I turn on the error logging.
Re: problem with mailing list feature [message #32868 is a reply to message #32867] Fri, 28 July 2006 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I think the problem are permissions, go to the forum's admin control panel, "Lock/Unlock Forum's Files" and unlock the forum's files.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: problem with mailing list feature [message #32870 is a reply to message #32868] Fri, 28 July 2006 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are right - thanks a lot

I must say the solution makes me a little nervous - for the security. It's no good idea to run the whole forum with 777.

As I have only one user who forwards his mails into this forum, I will try to put him in the necessary group and check for group the permissions.

And again,

thanks & best regards to Ilia

patrik
Re: problem with mailing list feature [message #32871 is a reply to message #32870] Fri, 28 July 2006 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can change the permissions to be more secure, but you need to make sure that files are readable and the messages/ directory and the files within it are writable.

Permissions such as 751 for directories and 644 for files would be workable.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: problem with mailing list feature [message #32873 is a reply to message #32871] Fri, 28 July 2006 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, but this permission in your post didn't work for me.
I needed write permission for the user who is redirecting the mails in the forum. Therefor I put the user in the "www" group and switch the group permissions on all directories.

Now all works fine for me Smile
Re: problem with mailing list feature [message #33707 is a reply to message #32873] Fri, 15 September 2006 16:25 Go to previous message
aleman   United Kingdom
I have the same issue, and Unlocking the Forums Files and chmodding the directories to 777 doesn't work for me.

I have a temporary solution which was to create a mailbox, and use the popfud.php code hack to read the mailbox and pipe the messages into the forum, automated with crontab.

What is so bizarre is that it uses the same script as the Procmail solution, maillist.php, so its not a script problem. If I catch an email and use CAT I can post the email to the forum. and I have added 18000+ emails using FUDBOX.php hack to pipe an MBOX archive into the forum using that same maillist.php.

Stuffed if I know, and as I haven't yet managed to compile a working local version of php5 (or 4!) I can't enable error reporting adn logging on my site. Still I have a solution, and when I can spend some time to investigate on the test site I'm sure that I will find the answer.

--
Aleman
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Upgrading from to v2.7.3
Next Topic: DUPLICATE MESSAGES
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 01:21:42 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04607 seconds