FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Moving to a new host
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Moving to a new host [message #31266] Thu, 13 April 2006 19:26 Go to next message
Marticus   United States
Hello. I have temporarily moved my forums form my linux host to a new host which seems to be having many problems. I am now moving it to another linux host. The forum dump seems to fail due to the same hardware issues that the intermediate host was having. I am transfering the files now but the process is painful as I have no shell access. Is there an easier way to do this? Maybe I can scp the entire thing from the first linux host to the new host and then transfer just the updated file and sql data. I have purged the attachments so it shouldn't be too difficult. Which files would I need to transfer to get the updated messages content?
Re: Moving to a new host [message #31269 is a reply to message #31266] Thu, 13 April 2006 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marticus   United States
The following is diff output from the two versions. Is it this simple? Is this all I really need to upload?

Files games/forumdata/errors/fud_errors and games.new/forumdata/errors/fud_errors differ
Files games/forumdata/errors/sql_errors and games.new/forumdata/errors/sql_errors differ
Files games/forumdata/messages/msg_100000 and games.new/forumdata/messages/msg_100000 differ
Files games/forumdata/messages/msg_120000 and games.new/forumdata/messages/msg_120000 differ
Files games/forumdata/messages/msg_160000 and games.new/forumdata/messages/msg_160000 differ
Files games/forumdata/messages/msg_30000 and games.new/forumdata/messages/msg_30000 differ
Files games/forumdata/messages/msg_40000 and games.new/forumdata/messages/msg_40000 differ
Files games/forumdata/messages/msg_70000 and games.new/forumdata/messages/msg_70000 differ
Files games/forumdata/messages/msg_80000 and games.new/forumdata/messages/msg_80000 differ
Files games/forumdata/messages/private and games.new/forumdata/messages/private differ
Only in games/images/custom_avatars: 8.jpg
Re: Moving to a new host [message #31271 is a reply to message #31269] Fri, 14 April 2006 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marticus   United States
Well, I've moved everything, changed all the paths and connection information, but the page times out. I should point out that I attempted to do a new install on the new host and I couldn't move beyond the WWW_ROOT_CHECK problem without commenting out that block of code in install.php. I didn't continue the installation when it made it to step 2 because I figured that check was there for a reason and if it failed, it might have something to do with not getting my old forums working on the new host. Why must I have so many problems migrating FUDforum?
Re: Moving to a new host [message #31278 is a reply to message #31271] Fri, 14 April 2006 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The WWW_ROOT_CHECK does not always work for all system configs, so you can safely comment it out.

As far as transfering files, you need to transfer the data entire data_dir directory and then make sure that the web server has write permission to all files/directories inside messages and files/ directories.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving to a new host [message #31289 is a reply to message #31278] Fri, 14 April 2006 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marticus   United States
I am looking through the code to find where it is hanging.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 April 2006 21:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Moving to a new host [message #31290 is a reply to message #31289] Fri, 14 April 2006 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marticus   United States
I have tracked it this far:

function db_li (called by ses_anon_make):
        if (mysql_errno(fud_sql_lnk) == 1062) {
                $ef = ltrim(strrchr(mysql_error(fud_sql_lnk), ' '));
die("this is as far as we go without hanging");
                return null;
        } else {

[Updated on: Fri, 14 April 2006 21:40]

Re: Moving to a new host [message #31293 is a reply to message #31290] Fri, 14 April 2006 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Is it possible that your mysql_errno() does not return anything or returns 0/FALSE every time?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving to a new host [message #31295 is a reply to message #31293] Fri, 14 April 2006 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marticus   United States
If it executes die(), then surely that if statement is positive, or am I mistaken? I'm not sure how to proceed trouble shooting this.
Re: Moving to a new host [message #31302 is a reply to message #31295] Sat, 15 April 2006 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
See how many times the duplication occurs

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving to a new host [message #31306 is a reply to message #31302] Sat, 15 April 2006 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marticus   United States
I decided to run the upgrade script again. It seems to have fixed whatever was broken. The problem now, however, is that a few posts are blank. My guess is the file transfer happened before the sql dump so there may have been a few posts between the two steps. That is easily fixed. On the other hand, the fud26_attach table has hard links in it. Can I quickly fix this? Is there a way to regular expression search and replace in sql commands? Also, which tables can I dump, at minimum, to get the most recent messages along with the forum data messages dir?

[Updated on: Sat, 15 April 2006 18:58]

Re: Moving to a new host [message #31312 is a reply to message #31306] Sun, 16 April 2006 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You don't need regex to fix data in that table, the MySQL REPLACE() function would do, simply replace the old path prefix with the new one.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving to a new host [message #31333 is a reply to message #31312] Tue, 18 April 2006 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marticus   United States
Is it worth adding that to forum consistency check or maybe a new admin link to resolve issues from having moved to a new location/host or something.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 April 2006 12:09]

Re: Moving to a new host [message #31340 is a reply to message #31333] Tue, 18 April 2006 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you use datadump/dataimport it has handling for dealing with the new host. Putting the code into consistency checker would be requite slow, mostly because there is a lot of changes to make and would be quite slow to perform.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving to a new host [message #33140 is a reply to message #31266] Sat, 12 August 2006 22:12 Go to previous message
Abraxa is currently offline  Abraxa   Germany
I ran into the problem with db_li() myself and wanted to note that the problem was caused by the id colum in fudXX_ses not being set to auto_increment. I exported the database using mysqldump and imported it on the new host. Somehow the database dump was however incomplete and all table structures had their "auto_increment" flags missing.
I fixed this by exporting the data alone, wiping all tables, re-creating the tables from an older export that worked, truncated all tables and re-importing the data I saved as the first step.

Hope this will help someone in the future who runs into this post.

-Abraxa
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Mailman Integration!
Next Topic: maillist.php (again)
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 17 04:13:38 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02228 seconds