FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Setting up Mailing list question
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Setting up Mailing list question [message #33433] Fri, 01 September 2006 09:42 Go to next message
tigger is currently offline  tigger   United Kingdom
Hello

I'm very impressed with Fudforum - an undiscovered gem Smile

One of the most appealing features is how it can integrate with a mailing list. Though I'm unclear to how easy this is to set up.

I'm on shared hosting which provides mailman via cpanel. I keep reading about procmail, but don't know how to access this on my hosting or set it up.
Is this necessary for someone to post to the forum via email?

Apologies for the newbie question, but I couldn't figure out how to get started on this. Any advice would be appreciated

thanks
tigger
Re: Setting up Mailing list question [message #33442 is a reply to message #33433] Fri, 01 September 2006 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The forum provides a generic maillist.php script that can import messages into the forum by getting a rule id passed to it and a message piped to it. How you fetch the messages is up to you, can be procmail can be pop3 (someone posted a script for this on the forum) or a million other ways of doing it.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Setting up Mailing list question [message #33443 is a reply to message #33433] Fri, 01 September 2006 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tigger is currently offline  tigger   United Kingdom
Ok, after some searching, I don't need procmail.

But I'm still stuck on how to configure via mailman.
While I found some posts discussing this issue, I don't know where to start. What do I need to know from my host etc.

Have I missed something in the documentation?

thanks

Re: Setting up Mailing list question [message #33445 is a reply to message #33443] Fri, 01 September 2006 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Just read the forum archives, there is much discussion on the topic.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Setting up Mailing list question [message #33526 is a reply to message #33433] Tue, 05 September 2006 19:39 Go to previous message
aleman   United Kingdom
I have done this and it works - Just not in my new configuration, but I'm working on it Smile

Setting up your mailing list via mailman is dead easy, what you need to do is to have some way of intercepting the email from mailman. I have access to procmail so I did it this way, the MTA sends the message via a procmail filter (to the forum) to the mailman list. when your php is set up correctly everything works . . . I just have something odd on my setup.

One thing I'm considering is using procmail to copy the email to a mailbox as well as forwarding it to the mailing list. I can then use a cron job and the maillist.php to put the emails into my forum. What is annoying is that I know that that would work, and yet trying to pipe the email direct from procmail does not. . . Go Figure?

Anyway I'm off to try and build a local copy of php bin!

--
Aleman
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: How to create new users via API and log them in
Next Topic: Posting levels
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu May 16 21:05:44 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02655 seconds