FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Search in selected forums
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Search in selected forums [message #34468] Thu, 02 November 2006 13:36 Go to next message
_wj_ is currently offline  _wj_   Ukraine

Can I search not only in all forums or selected one (as it is now), but also in a few selected forums?
Re: Search in selected forums [message #34501 is a reply to message #34468] Sun, 05 November 2006 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Fraid not, right now you can only do searching by:
1 forum
1 category (and all it's sub-categories)
entire forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Search in selected forums [message #34517 is a reply to message #34501] Mon, 06 November 2006 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
_wj_ is currently offline  _wj_   Ukraine

Yes, I now this. But do you plan to add a possibility to search in few forums in different categories or in a few different categories?
I mean using
<select class="SmallText" name="forum_limiter" size="10" multiple>

instead of
<select class="SmallText" name="forum_limiter">

[Updated on: Mon, 06 November 2006 07:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Search in selected forums [message #34534 is a reply to message #34517] Mon, 06 November 2006 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This won't work, since the value is converted to an integer and an array of values will translate to 0. The conversion of the forum select to a multiple selection field is kinda tricky and will make the search element occupy far more space then it does now. So, I am uncertain about adding this feature at this time.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Search in selected forums [message #35028 is a reply to message #34468] Sun, 03 December 2006 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JanRei is currently offline  JanRei   Germany
Contributing Core Developer
Translator
I think that this would be an useful feature. I understand that the search options would take more space then, but I think there are two ways for solving this problem:
1) Don't display the result together with the search options, show them on a new page.
2) Make it possible to hide the search options (e.g. using Ajax). I think I would prefer this way.

Maybe this oppertunity can also be used to extend the search options: for example a option for sorting the results by forum, user name or number of replies.
Re: Search in selected forums [message #35256 is a reply to message #34468] Tue, 19 December 2006 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
It seems that you don't want to implement something like this at the moment. But maybe you can give a comment what you think about suggestions/ideas?
Re: Search in selected forums [message #35261 is a reply to message #35256] Wed, 20 December 2006 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You'll need to modify search.tmpl to change the forum select to a multi-select and then change search.inc.t to accept the limiter as an array. Then you can build a list of forum ids and pass them to IN() statement.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Search in selected forums [message #35271 is a reply to message #34468] Wed, 20 December 2006 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Eh, since I have a very limited knowledge about PHP, I actually just wanted a comment whether you think my suggestions are good and can be implemented in the stock fudforum.
Re: Search in selected forums [message #35281 is a reply to message #35271] Fri, 22 December 2006 02:51 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
There are no plans to add this to stock FUDforum at this time.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: UTF-8 for russian language
Next Topic: egroupware upgrade
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed May 15 11:56:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04129 seconds