FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Fast way to eliminate message board spam
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Fast way to eliminate message board spam [message #34982] Wed, 29 November 2006 22:43 Go to next message
Markus Allen is currently offline  Markus Allen   United States
Once I get confirmation to this idea, I'm going to post a link to this from The Warrior Forum...

... Someone posted a rant about new, heavily marketed message board spam software that's now smart enough to register as a new poster at the same time at most of the popular boards.

Of course there are many strategies to fight this off, but one thing that's worked for me (to stop spammers from using my feedback script) was to rename the email field -- had to rename it within the hidden form field and within the PHP script -- that fast and easy strategy literally eliminated feedback spam instantly.

Can the same idea be used for forum software? Specifically, what would we need to tweak with fudforum in the same manner?

Once you confirm it, I'll reference this link at the Warrior Forum.
Re: Fast way to eliminate message board spam [message #34987 is a reply to message #34982] Thu, 30 November 2006 16:47 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum already uses captcha to prevent automatic tools from registering accounts or posting messages anonymously. You can of course take it a step further and have each board use different field names, but that won't stop a half-decent tool that simply parses out the field names from the form itself.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Show all groups a user belongs to
Next Topic: fudForum within a trusted intranet
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:36:38 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02093 seconds