FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Make description for topics
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Make description for topics [message #33525] Tue, 05 September 2006 17:50 Go to next message
Alexxx is currently offline  Alexxx   Russian Federation
Why not make descriptions for topics, like IPB forum (specially field when a topic create) or like VBulletin forum (downloading first post and insert him to title parameter for link to this topic)?
Re: Make description for topics [message #33534 is a reply to message #33525] Wed, 06 September 2006 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
For one it makes the topic listing page extremely large and slow to load.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Make description for topics [message #33603 is a reply to message #33534] Sat, 09 September 2006 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexxx is currently offline  Alexxx   Russian Federation
Ilia wrote on Wed, 06 September 2006 19:19

For one it makes the topic listing page extremely large and slow to load.

I for one disagree!
If you realizes my first suggestion (like a Ivision Power Board System) then needed only one string that have limited lenght (for example 100 chars)
Re: Make description for topics [message #33632 is a reply to message #33603] Mon, 11 September 2006 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Is this text something that is picked automatically or does a user need to enter it?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Make description for topics [message #35027 is a reply to message #33525] Sun, 03 December 2006 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JanRei is currently offline  JanRei   Germany
Contributing Core Developer
Translator
I think this could be an interesting idea, so I answer the question.
In Invasion Power Board the topic description can be entered by the user in addition to the topic title, entering a description is optional.
Re: Make description for topics [message #35029 is a reply to message #33525] Mon, 04 December 2006 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
I too am fond of topic descriptions. When I converted to FUDforum from openBB I actually had planned to add a topic description, but was too lazy to actually do it. I have a rather narrow layout on my forum (808px width) so I have to keep my topics short, since I still want the topic title to have rather decently large text. A topic description below in smaller text would solve my headaches for that.

It's not like its the end of the world, but I like topic descriptions, helps the actual topics to be, you know, topics.

For example, a topic on my forum:

Redfine middle button with Logitech Setpoint

With a topic description, the user would rather make it like this:

Logitech Setpoint
Redefine your mouse buttons!

Generally, it seems like topic descriptions leads the users into being better at properly naming the actual topics, which makes it easier to browse through. But well, as I said, it's not the end of the world that we don't have topic descriptions, but it's not something that would really slow the forum down either, you only have to grab it when you list threads, don't need to always grab it in like, last topic posted etc, not even when you show a thread, only needs to be shown in thread (or tree) thread listing.

Re: Make description for topics [message #35048 is a reply to message #35027] Mon, 04 December 2006 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
JanRei wrote on Sun, 03 December 2006 14:37

In Invasion Power Board the topic description can be entered by the user in addition to the topic title, entering a description is optional.

How long of a text description do they allow? Adding another varchar(255) is not a problem but another TEXT field is a bit problematic given the performance impact it makes on data fetch, specially in MYSQL.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Make description for topics [message #35051 is a reply to message #35048] Mon, 04 December 2006 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Ilia schrieb am Mo, 04 Dezember 2006 16:29

JanRei wrote on Sun, 03 December 2006 14:37

How long of a text description do they allow? Adding another varchar(255) is not a problem but another TEXT field is a bit problematic given the performance impact it makes on data fetch, specially in MYSQL.

In version 2.1.7 the description seems to be limited to 150 chars.
Re: Make description for topics [message #35056 is a reply to message #35051] Mon, 04 December 2006 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Topic descriptions were added in the CVS

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Make description for topics [message #35063 is a reply to message #33525] Mon, 04 December 2006 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Instead of adding the description in a title tag, I added it in a smaller font (11 (or 12)px, normal weight) on a line below the topic title (Topic title is 13px, bold)

Re: Make description for topics [message #35069 is a reply to message #35063] Tue, 05 December 2006 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I prefer the title approach.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Make description for topics [message #35091 is a reply to message #33525] Wed, 06 December 2006 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I just upgraded my development forum to the latest CVS and I have two comments about this implemention.

1) I agree with Ernesto and prefer showing the description below the title on the topic listing page. I think it is unpratical to place your mouse cursor on the topic title to read the description in a tooltip. This precedur is too slow in my opinion and not possible in case you want to glance over the topic listing.
2) I think it is better to put the input box for the description below the input box for the title, because both belong to each other somehow and it looks better in my opionion. A input box nearly at the bottom of the posting form was a bit unexpected for me.

Re: Make description for topics [message #35097 is a reply to message #35091] Thu, 07 December 2006 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JanRei wrote on Wed, 06 December 2006 14:55

I just upgraded my development forum to the latest CVS and I have two comments about this implemention.

1) I agree with Ernesto and prefer showing the description below the title on the topic listing page. I think it is unpratical to place your mouse cursor on the topic title to read the description in a tooltip. This precedur is too slow in my opinion and not possible in case you want to glance over the topic listing.
2) I think it is better to put the input box for the description below the input box for the title, because both belong to each other somehow and it looks better in my opionion. A input box nearly at the bottom of the posting form was a bit unexpected for me.

I agree on both points, if the desription is not visible on the overview, it is pointless.

Also, the input box should be directly below the title box (I moved it there myself instantly). I limited my topic title box to 40 chars now, to even further push the value of the description box, which is 60 wide.

Re: Make description for topics [message #35100 is a reply to message #35091] Thu, 07 December 2006 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The suggestions were integrated.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Make description for topics [message #35964 is a reply to message #33525] Sat, 24 February 2007 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I have two additional suggestions for this:
1) Add a colon after the "Topic Description" text (post_descr in msg file), so it looks like the other texts shown on the left of the posting form.
2) Add a tabindex to the input field for the topic description, so you can go through the form with the tab key like this: title -> topic description -> body.
Re: Make description for topics [message #35993 is a reply to message #35964] Tue, 27 February 2007 00:39 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Added in CVS, for the suggestion.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Email Notification Frequency
Next Topic: Games mod?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:07:08 GMT 2024