FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Moving single posts
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Moving single posts [message #33608] Sat, 09 September 2006 21:24 Go to next message
Atthar is currently offline  Atthar   Iran, Islamic Republic of
some times forum admin need to moving a single post to another topic, i think fud forum must have this feature.

in [show what people are doing}, ip of unregistered users must be approve to admin. also name of spiders must be know to admin (or all users).

thank you
Re: Moving single posts [message #33623 is a reply to message #33608] Mon, 11 September 2006 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You already have move topic capability in FUDforum, you can also split one or more messages out of existing topic using split topic functionality. So all the tools to do what you want already exist in FUDforum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving single posts [message #33635 is a reply to message #33608] Mon, 11 September 2006 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Split topic move posts to a new topic, but some times need to moving posts to a topic that created before. i think moving post function is necessary... Smile
Re: Moving single posts [message #33636 is a reply to message #33635] Mon, 11 September 2006 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JanRei is currently offline  JanRei   Germany
Contributing Core Developer
Translator
You can do so by splitting the topic and merging the new created topic with the existing topic.

I think moving single messages (and locking single messages) is a "nice to have feature".
Re: Moving single posts [message #33638 is a reply to message #33635] Mon, 11 September 2006 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can split the message(s) into its own topic and then use merge thread functionality to merge it into another, existing topic.

As far locking single messages, I fail to see what purpose/action would that have?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving single posts [message #33643 is a reply to message #33608] Mon, 11 September 2006 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I think a feature for moving single topics could save needed mouse clicks and time. So it could simplify the procedure.

Locking single messages could be useful if you want to prevent users to edit their posts after being edited by a moderator.
Re: Moving single posts [message #33646 is a reply to message #33643] Mon, 11 September 2006 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
JanRei wrote on Mon, 11 September 2006 16:08

I think a feature for moving single topics could save needed mouse clicks and time. So it could simplify the procedure.

You can already move an entire topic with move button to another forum very easily or merge with another topic via merge topic.

Quote:

Locking single messages could be useful if you want to prevent users to edit their posts after being edited by a moderator.

Forum already allows it, via "edit time" after it passed the author can no longer edit his own messages.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving single posts [message #33648 is a reply to message #33646] Mon, 11 September 2006 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Ilia wrote on Mon, 11 September 2006 22:10

You can already move an entire topic with move button to another forum very easily or merge with another topic via merge topic.

Sorry, I meant single messages not topics.
I know that you can already do that, it would maybe simplifying the procedure.

Quote:

Forum already allows it, via "edit time" after it passed the author can no longer edit his own messages.

There may be situations where the admin wants to allow editing in the forum generally, but it is necessary to lock one single message.
I admit that such situations will not occur very often, but it might me useful.
Re: Moving single posts [message #33665 is a reply to message #33648] Tue, 12 September 2006 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Moving message from one topic to another is something to consider for 2.7.7, as far as locking individual messages, that functionality seems somewhat dubious to me.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving single posts [message #33671 is a reply to message #33665] Tue, 12 September 2006 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Tue, 12 September 2006 18:19

Moving message from one topic to another is something to consider for 2.7.7, as far as locking individual messages, that functionality seems somewhat dubious to me.

great news, thank you.
but now, for moving post i want to split a topic, but in split page i see only first message of the topic. that is bug or my distraction? Razz
also i use fudforum 2.7.6RC2.
thank you
Re: Moving single posts [message #33691 is a reply to message #33671] Thu, 14 September 2006 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Does the topic have >1 message in it?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving single posts [message #33702 is a reply to message #33608] Thu, 14 September 2006 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Atthar is currently offline  Atthar   United Arab Emirates
yes
when i click on split topic in first page of the topic i see only first message of the topic, but when click on secoud page i will first messege of secound page.
Re: Moving single posts [message #33710 is a reply to message #33702] Fri, 15 September 2006 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It works fine in 2.7.6RC2, I've tried and I am unable to replicate the error.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving single posts [message #33714 is a reply to message #33665] Fri, 15 September 2006 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Ilia wrote on Tue, 12 September 2006 16:49

This sounds good. Smile
I have thought up two examples when locking single message could be useful:
  1. The first post of a sticky topic has been posted by an normal user. This post is intended as a manual for something and should only be edited by a moderator. To achieve this the moderator can lock this message but can allow further discussions in the thread.
  2. A user uses a phrase in his post which is against the forum rules. Therefore the moderator removes this part of the message. To prevent the user from changing it back the moderator can lock the message, so he doesn't have to check it the again to see whether the user has modified his post in the meantime.
Re: Moving single posts [message #33740 is a reply to message #33714] Mon, 18 September 2006 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
JanRei wrote on Fri, 15 September 2006 18:54

Ilia wrote on Tue, 12 September 2006 16:49

This sounds good. Smile
I have thought up two examples when locking single message could be useful:
  1. The first post of a sticky topic has been posted by an normal user. This post is intended as a manual for something and should only be edited by a moderator. To achieve this the moderator can lock this message but can allow further discussions in the thread.
  2. A user uses a phrase in his post which is against the forum rules. Therefore the moderator removes this part of the message. To prevent the user from changing it back the moderator can lock the message, so he doesn't have to check it the again to see whether the user has modified his post in the meantime.

Only the message owner or the admin can edit existing messages, so the lock in the 1st example would not add anything new.

As far as #2 there are text filters available and abusive users should probably be banned, rather then to force moderation staff to constantly be chasing after them.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving single posts [message #33745 is a reply to message #33740] Mon, 18 September 2006 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Ilia wrote on Mon, 18 September 2006 18:47

Only the message owner or the admin can edit existing messages, so the lock in the 1st example would not add anything new.

Well, it would add something new if the admin allows (nearly) unlimited message editing. So this would prevent even the message owner from editing the post.

Quote:

As far as #2 there are text filters available and abusive users should probably be banned, rather then to force moderation staff to constantly be chasing after them.

I generally agree with that. But maybe the admin doesn't want to ban the user (maybe because this was the first action against the rules) or locking the message could be used until the admin bans the user.
Re: Moving single posts [message #33808 is a reply to message #33665] Fri, 22 September 2006 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
_wj_ is currently offline  _wj_   Ukraine

Ilia wrote on Tue, 12 September 2006 17:49

Moving message from one topic to another is something to consider for 2.7.7.

Great! This is a very important feature for me.
Re: Moving single posts [message #35330 is a reply to message #33608] Fri, 29 December 2006 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
As I think that 2.7.7 is not far away from release, I want to ask whether moving of messages from one topic to another will be implemented in 2.7.7?
Re: Moving single posts [message #35352 is a reply to message #33608] Mon, 01 January 2007 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
I would also love being able to move selected messages to another topic (without reseting post counts by merging etc etc). The whole interface for splitting/merging is a little hard to navigate for me to be honest, it is hard to know which posts gets attached to the top or the bottom etc.

Re: Moving single posts [message #35364 is a reply to message #33808] Tue, 02 January 2007 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This feature was added to CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving single posts [message #35391 is a reply to message #33608] Sat, 06 January 2007 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I tested your implemention of this feature.
First I would like to suggest that the topic hasn't be to selected by giving in the topic ID. I think that this makes it easy to make mistakes/typos and moving the messages to a wrong topic.
And is it possible to implement that you can specify the position of the message in the target topic?
Re: Moving single posts [message #35392 is a reply to message #35391] Sat, 06 January 2007 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Position of the message is always determined by its date, so no.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving single posts [message #35393 is a reply to message #33608] Sat, 06 January 2007 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
That's ok. And what's about my suggestion regarding the selection of the target topic?
Re: Moving single posts [message #35402 is a reply to message #35393] Sun, 07 January 2007 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The reason I've done it this way because of the impracticality of selecting a destination topic from possibly tens of thousands topics that may exist in the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving single posts [message #35414 is a reply to message #33608] Mon, 08 January 2007 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I understand your point. But I think selecting the target topic via its ID is likely to produce mistakes. I also don't know if your way is more pratical because the topic ID is nowhere displayed in the forum and moderators would have to study the link to a topic to get the ID from there.

There seem to be some problems with your implementation. I have tried to give in a invalid ID (a topic ID that does not exist) and I got to blank page. The reason seems to be the following error:
Quote:

PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function check_return() in C:\xampp\htdocs\forum\theme\default\movemsg.php on line 363

Then I tried to move messages while only being a moderator and I got a blank page instead of the moving messages menu. The problem seems to be the following querry error:
Quote:

(C:\xampp\htdocs\forum\index.php:75
C:\xampp\htdocs\forum\index.php:171
C:\xampp\htdocs\forum\theme\default\movemsg.php:338
C:\xampp\htdocs\forum\index.php:1194
) 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 5
Query: SELECT mm.id, COALESCE(g2.group_cache_opt, g1.group_cache_opt) AS gco FROM fud26_thread t LEFT JOIN fud26_mod mm ON mm.user_id=3 AND mm.forum_id=t.forum_id INNER JOIN fud26_group_cache g1 ON g1.user_id=2147483647 AND g1.resource_id=t.forum_id LEFT JOIN fud26_group_cache g2 ON g2.user_id=3 AND g2.resource_id=t.forum_id WHERE t.id=
_GET: array ( 't' => 'movemsg', 'th' => '1', )
Server Version: 5.0.21-community-nt
[Referring Page] http://localhost/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=1&start=0&S=20b6e6d08 675aed8e6442e7d3e57fd67

I also found the following warning in my error log, but I don't know under what condition it occurs:
Quote:

PHP Warning: in_array() [<a href='function.in-array'>function.in-array</a>]: Wrong datatype for second argument in C:\xampp\htdocs\forum\theme\default\movemsg.php on line 390
Re: Moving single posts [message #35415 is a reply to message #35391] Tue, 09 January 2007 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

JanRei wrote on Sat, 06 January 2007 20:36

First I would like to suggest that the topic hasn't be to selected by giving in the topic ID. I think that this makes it easy to make mistakes/typos and moving the messages to a wrong topic.

I have experience with such a method on our old handmade forum and I want to say, that's pretty comfortable. I've never had a mistakes. Moderator just have to be little attentive, that's all :)
Re: Moving single posts [message #35416 is a reply to message #33608] Tue, 09 January 2007 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
Instead of topic ID, make a list of topics, just as on the thread page, showing the default number of topics per page.

Make it a stairway selection - First categroy (subcategory) and then list the topics, X per page. Only need to list topic title, topic starter and date.

Re: Moving single posts [message #35419 is a reply to message #35416] Tue, 09 January 2007 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ernesto wrote on Tue, 09 January 2007 07:38

Instead of topic ID, make a list of topics, just as on the thread page, showing the default number of topics per page.

Make it a stairway selection - First categroy (subcategory) and then list the topics, X per page. Only need to list topic title, topic starter and date.

That's way too complex.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving single posts [message #35420 is a reply to message #35414] Tue, 09 January 2007 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
JanRei wrote on Mon, 08 January 2007 18:12

I understand your point. But I think selecting the target topic via its ID is likely to produce mistakes. I also don't know if your way is more pratical because the topic ID is nowhere displayed in the forum and moderators would have to study the link to a topic to get the ID from there.

There seem to be some problems with your implementation. I have tried to give in a invalid ID (a topic ID that does not exist) and I got to blank page. The reason seems to be the following error:
Quote:

PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function check_return() in C:\xampp\htdocs\forum\theme\default\movemsg.php on line 363

Then I tried to move messages while only being a moderator and I got a blank page instead of the moving messages menu. The problem seems to be the following querry error:
Quote:

C:\xampp\htdocs\forum\index.php:171
C:\xampp\htdocs\forum\theme\default\movemsg.php:338
) 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 5
Query: SELECT mm.id, COALESCE(g2.group_cache_opt, g1.group_cache_opt) AS gco FROM fud26_thread t LEFT JOIN fud26_mod mm ON mm.user_id=3 AND mm.forum_id=t.forum_id INNER JOIN fud26_group_cache g1 ON g1.user_id=2147483647 AND g1.resource_id=t.forum_id LEFT JOIN fud26_group_cache g2 ON g2.user_id=3 AND g2.resource_id=t.forum_id WHERE t.id=
_GET: array ( 't' => 'movemsg', 'th' => '1', )
[Referring Page] http://localhost/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=1&start=0&S=20b6e6d08 675aed8e6442e7d3e57fd67

I also found the following warning in my error log, but I don't know under what condition it occurs:
Quote:

PHP Warning: in_array() [<a href='function.in-array'>function.in-array</a>]: Wrong datatype for second argument in C:\xampp\htdocs\forum\theme\default\movemsg.php on line 390

Both of the described issues are now fixed in CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving single posts [message #35421 is a reply to message #35415] Tue, 09 January 2007 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
_wj_ wrote on Tue, 09 Januar 2007 11:35

JanRei wrote on Sat, 06 January 2007 20:36

I have experience with such a method on our old handmade forum and I want to say, that's pretty comfortable. I've never had a mistakes. Moderator just have to be little attentive, that's all Smile

I really hope that there will be no mistakes, because if you do one you can't fix easily. I have thought of a optional check of the forum and topic name for the case you aren't sure. But I don't know whether this is a good idea.

And by the way, how do you find out the topic ID, via the url to the topic?
Re: Moving single posts [message #35422 is a reply to message #35420] Tue, 09 January 2007 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Ilia wrote on Tue, 09 Januar 2007 15:33

Both of the described issues are now fixed in CVS.

Great, I have applied the patch and it works indeed. But what's about the warning about in_array (now in line 409), can it be ignored?

When I want to move messages to a deleted topic, I get "You do not have the required permissions to perform this action". I was a little bit surprised since I was a admin at this time.

And the forum seems to have some problems with the message/topic counting:
When I move messages to a topic that is in another forum, the topic count on the index page doesn't seem to get updated.
When I move all messages of a topic to another I get a empty topic with "-1" replies (according to the topic listing).

[Updated on: Tue, 09 January 2007 20:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Moving single posts [message #35424 is a reply to message #35421] Wed, 10 January 2007 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

JanRei wrote on Tue, 09 January 2007 21:37

And by the way, how do you find out the topic ID, via the url to the topic?

Yes, via the url.
Re: Moving single posts [message #35428 is a reply to message #35422] Wed, 10 January 2007 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Can you show me a warning, the warning really should not exist unless you somehow found a topic without any messages in it, which is technically impossible.

I fixed the error on a not-found topic to be non-permission related to prevent confusion.

Can you make sure all your message moving code is up to date with CVS and see if you still encounter the counter problem. I do not appear to have it here locally.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving single posts [message #35440 is a reply to message #33608] Thu, 11 January 2007 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I now installed the latest CVS version. And I can still reproduce all issues.

I was a bit surprised that I still get the permission error when I try to move the messages to a deleted topic. And yes I have checked that I use the same version of movemsg.php as it is in CVS.

The problem with "-1" replies is also still there. And I am getting the warning because the topic has really no messages in it (I have attached a screenshot of the topic). To get this I made a topic with two messages and moved both of them to another topic.

And I can still reproduce the wrong message counting on the index page after moving messages to a topic that is in another forum. The counting doesn't seem to get updated afer moving messages.
Re: Moving single posts [message #35448 is a reply to message #35440] Fri, 12 January 2007 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
All those issues should now be resolved in CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving single posts [message #35456 is a reply to message #33608] Fri, 12 January 2007 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Now I get some query errors:

Quote:

C:\xampp\htdocs\forum\theme\default\movemsg.php:415
) 1054: Unknown column 'last_post_date' in 'field list'
Query: UPDATE fud26_forum SET post_count=post_count+2, last_post_date=1168616130, last_post_id=3, last_post_id=3 WHERE id=2
_GET: array ( 't' => 'movemsg', )
_POST: array ( 'S' => 'e59c8cd9c612d21b06de0a0b8c198bed', 'SQ' => '0c321c58dbaca399f964cd14cb5effb2', 'th' => '1', 'dest_th' => '2', 'btn_selected' => 'Move Selected Messages', 'msg_ids' => array ( 0 => '1', 1 => '3', ), )
[Referring Page] http://localhost/forum/index.php?t=movemsg

Quote:

C:\xampp\htdocs\forum\theme\default\movemsg.php:439
) 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '0) WHERE id=1' at line 1
Query: UPDATE fud26_forum SET post_count=MAX(post_count-1,0) WHERE id=1
_POST: array ( 'S' => 'e59c8cd9c612d21b06de0a0b8c198bed', 'SQ' => '6e29e03d399f6fd42cd892e474fec1a9', 'th' => '2', 'dest_th' => '1', 'btn_selected' => 'Move Selected Messages', 'msg_ids' => array ( 0 => '1', ), )
[Referring Page] http://localhost/forum/index.php?t=movemsg&th=2
Re: Moving single posts [message #35463 is a reply to message #35456] Sun, 14 January 2007 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Fixed in CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving single posts [message #35472 is a reply to message #33608] Sun, 14 January 2007 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I still get the first query error:
Zitat:

C:\xampp\htdocs\forum\theme\default\movemsg.php:415
) 1054: Unknown column 'last_post_date' in 'field list'
Query: UPDATE fud26_forum SET post_count=post_count+2, last_post_date=1168798990, last_post_id=7, last_post_id=7 WHERE id=2
_POST: array ( 'S' => '69f262f1b06aee9a9f211da37f01ea37', 'SQ' => '244967d5871f0716cbb08ab06e37492a', 'th' => '3', 'dest_th' => '2', 'btn_selected' => 'Move Selected Messages', 'msg_ids' => array ( 0 => '6', 1 => '7', ), )
Server Version: 5.0.27-community
[Referring Page] http://localhost/forum/index.php?t=movemsg&th=3

And this one seems to be new:
Zitat:

C:\xampp\htdocs\forum\index.php:135
C:\xampp\htdocs\forum\theme\default\movemsg.php:423
) 1146: Table 'fudforum.fud26__tv_1' doesn't exist
Query: SELECT t.last_post_id FROM fud26__tv_1 v INNER JOIN fud26_thread t ON t.id=v.thread_id WHERE tv_seq=1
_POST: array ( 'S' => '69f262f1b06aee9a9f211da37f01ea37', 'SQ' => '3a5da9b27ecf6ab5a254537b857f4135', 'th' => '1', 'dest_th' => '2', 'btn_selected' => 'Move Selected Messages', 'msg_ids' => array ( 0 => '1', 1 => '2', ), )
Server Version: 5.0.27-community
[Referring Page] http://localhost/forum/index.php?t=movemsg&th=1
Re: Moving single posts [message #35481 is a reply to message #35472] Tue, 16 January 2007 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This is resolved as well.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Moving single posts [message #35494 is a reply to message #33608] Tue, 16 January 2007 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Translator
And what is about the first query error? I get it when I try to move all messages of a topic (select all checkboxes).

When I move messages from one forum to another this movement is not reflected in the message counting on the index page (where the forums are listed).
Pages (2): [1  2    »]  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: image gallerie
Next Topic: Any plans for spam protection?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:03:53 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03075 seconds