FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Permissions question/problem
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Permissions question/problem [message #36078] Sat, 03 March 2007 00:54 Go to next message
Crimson is currently offline  Crimson   United States
I created a group. I set the group as having control of two forums. I added a user to that group and set "YES" on every permission in that group.

However, he doesn't see a link anywhere to move a topic. Not in the main thread listing, and not in the thread itself. Where is this link supposed to be? Did I do something wrong or is it a bug? I am running version 2.7.6 at the moment.
Re: Permissions question/problem [message #36095 is a reply to message #36078] Sun, 04 March 2007 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Did you set the permissions in the user-land group manager linked from the front page?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Permissions question/problem [message #36109 is a reply to message #36078] Mon, 05 March 2007 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it basically looks like this:

Currently Editing: *Group Name*
This group controls permissions of the following forums:
*Forum A*
*Forum B*

*All the drop-downs*

Member	Permissions (move mouse over the permission to see its type)	Action
*User Name* 	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes 	[Edit] [Delete]
Re: Permissions question/problem [message #36123 is a reply to message #36109] Tue, 06 March 2007 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That looks like the right place. Is the user member of any other group?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Permissions question/problem [message #36125 is a reply to message #36078] Tue, 06 March 2007 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, yes... he is...

Currently Editing: *Other Group Name*
This group controls permissions of the following forums:
*Forum C*
*Forum A*
*Forum B*

*All the drop-downs*

Member	Permissions (move mouse over the permission to see its type)	Action
*User Name* 	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	No	No	No	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	No	No	No	Yes	Yes	Yes 	[Edit] [Delete]

There are other members of this group as well. I don't necessarily want to give him more permissions for Forum C, so I guess what I need to know now is if it's possible to make the Yeses on the other group take precedent or do I need to take him out of this group here and add him to the "*Forum C" group with those permissions instead?

I've tried to make my custom group names match a particular role that a user might have in the forum. Some users might have multiple roles. If this isn't possible, then I will probably just give all the members of this group the ability to move threads just to keep things simple. These members are among the most trusted anyway.

[Updated on: Tue, 06 March 2007 00:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Permissions question/problem [message #36130 is a reply to message #36125] Wed, 07 March 2007 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ideally you want to make sure that permissions of a user for one forum are controlled explicitly via one group only (I am not taking about all registered user mark).

Otherwise the forum's permission resolver will pick the strictest (most limited) permissions for the user.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Permissions question/problem [message #36135 is a reply to message #36078] Wed, 07 March 2007 00:16 Go to previous message
OK, thanks for the clarification. I hadn't thought to check the other groups for an overlap.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Top line of [Show what people are doing] always the same
Next Topic: Database or file to store message
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 23:50:15 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02110 seconds