FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Multiple users, one same IP - how to restrict
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Multiple users, one same IP - how to restrict [message #36860] Sat, 14 April 2007 18:15 Go to next message
Sebastian_T is currently offline  Sebastian_T   Poland
Hello,

tried to find in options, tried to find here, searching forum. I'd like to restrict, that from one IP there can be only one registration (one user). Is it possible? (on our forum sometimes we have some competitions, and one user can give one poll - sometimes users try to cheat, making multiple registrations - we see this, but we'd like to automate registration refusal).

Maybe it's very simple, but I can't find it Wink

Best wishes

Sebastian
Re: Multiple users, one same IP - how to restrict [message #36882 is a reply to message #36860] Sun, 15 April 2007 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
There is no such limiter at this time, however because we do store the IP of each registered user it would be very easy to implement such a check. All you would need to do is check for the presence of the IP address inside the users table before allowing the registration to go through.

Personally, I don't think such a block is a very good idea simply because many users are sitting behind corporate firewalls or proxies and to the outside seem to be coming from the same ip address. You could potentially be blocking many users from utilizing your forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Multiple users, one same IP - how to restrict [message #36889 is a reply to message #36882] Sun, 15 April 2007 23:26 Go to previous message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
Ilia wrote on Sun, 15 April 2007 12:11

There is no such limiter at this time, however because we do store the IP of each registered user it would be very easy to implement such a check. All you would need to do is check for the presence of the IP address inside the users table before allowing the registration to go through.

Personally, I don't think such a block is a very good idea simply because many users are sitting behind corporate firewalls or proxies and to the outside seem to be coming from the same ip address. You could potentially be blocking many users from utilizing your forum.

And alot of people have dynamic IPs so the chance of several people getting the same IP is not at all impossible. Not super likely, but it occurs several times on my forum. As of this minute, 8 users have had the same IP as me at one point or another.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: sort by rating
Next Topic: Sticky - like marking
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:17:24 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 1.82082 seconds