FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Better visual notification for new messages
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Better visual notification for new messages [message #37144] Tue, 08 May 2007 21:18 Go to next message
pachanga is currently offline  pachanga   Russian Federation
Hi, I'm using FUDforum-2.7.4 with PHP-5.2.1 and I'm quite surprised at how new messages visual notification("lighting bulb") is implemented.

Say I have forum 'A' with several new messages yet unread by me. Once I login onto the forum I see the "lighting bulb" next to the 'A' forum. Ok, I click 'A' link and proceed into the forum where I see marked threads with new/unread messages.

Now if I go back to the main page all of a sudden the "lighting bulb" goes off, just like there are no new messages. And I haven't read any of it. What's interesting is the fact that if I go into 'A' forum again I'll see the same marked threads again.

Why so?

For example, this is how it works in PHPbb - the forum has with "lighting bulb" until all new messages are read.
Re: Better visual notification for new messages [message #37150 is a reply to message #37144] Wed, 09 May 2007 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
I like it the way it is

Re: Better visual notification for new messages [message #37151 is a reply to message #37150] Wed, 09 May 2007 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pachanga is currently offline  pachanga
Ernesto wrote on Wed, 09 May 2007 03:16

I like it the way it is

Well of course, we all have different personal preferences Smile Still, I think if there were some option to control this behavior this could be very neat.
Re: Better visual notification for new messages [message #37152 is a reply to message #37144] Wed, 09 May 2007 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
The option you suggest would only serve any purpose on a very small board. On a big board, there is no way you can read every post and hence, after you checked a forum, the ligh bulb going off, indicates that you checked the forum, and read all the interesting topics you wanted to read. There are tens of thousands of posts I haven't read on my board, if the lightbulbs would always be lit on the forums, it would annoy the living crap out of me to contantly be forced to check the "read all messages" button every time - Especially considering the fact that I might not actually want to mark all those topics read, I might wanna check back on another day.

I use alot of boards on the internet, and I cannot remember a single one using the functionality you describe. It would be... impractical.

An option for it could of course work, but since the functionality in itself would be detrimental for usability, I doubt there would be any interest in it. It would sort of be like (exagerated) to let a car owner having the option to make the car not start when they turn the key - Serve no purpose. (And it would generate additional mysql queries I think?)

Re: Better visual notification for new messages [message #37163 is a reply to message #37152] Thu, 10 May 2007 07:15 Go to previous message
pachanga is currently offline  pachanga
Ernesto wrote on Wed, 09 May 2007 05:26

I use alot of boards on the internet, and I cannot remember a single one using the functionality you describe. It would be... impractical.

But that's exactly how phpBB works...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Save PM
Next Topic: Rename adm Folder
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 22:07:50 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02285 seconds