FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » how do i delete forum files? - permissions error
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
| Subscribe to topic | Bookmark topic 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
how do i delete forum files? - permissions error [message #3725] Thu, 04 July 2002 15:31 Go to next message
juicysauce is currently offline  juicysauce   United States
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
I love FUDforum, but I've got an old installation on one of my web sites that I'd like to get rid of. Problem is, I can't seem to delete some of the files. I get a Permission denied error message.

For instance, when I try to delete forum/adm/admannounce.php, WS FTP says

550 admannounce.php : Permission denied
! Delete of admannounce.php failed

I tried chmoding the directories before deleting files in them, but that didn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Re: how do i delete forum files? - permissions error [message #3727 is a reply to message #3725] Thu, 04 July 2002 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
Does your version of the forum have a file manager?
If so use that to delete the files, otherwise make a php script to delete them files and run it via the web.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: how do i delete forum files? - permissions error [message #3775 is a reply to message #3727] Fri, 05 July 2002 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
add to buddy list
Well, my version of the forum does have a file manager, but I was able to delete just enough files to make it inaccessibile. Sad Oh well.

I'll try to write a PHP script, as you suggested. I guess I'll use unlink() and rmdir(). I've never messed with file deletion before, so it'll be an experimental process.

Thanks so much for your help!
Re: how do i delete forum files? - permissions error [message #3822 is a reply to message #3725] Sat, 06 July 2002 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ecxeleron is currently offline  Ecxeleron   Australia
add to buddy list
install another fud over the top of that, unlock the files, and delete the whole thing Smile

Re: how do i delete forum files? - permissions error [message #3828 is a reply to message #3822] Sun, 07 July 2002 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
add to buddy list
Thank you for your suggestion. It's an excellent idea, but re-installing the forum is a real pain in the a%$. I remember when I originally installed it, I spent about an hour with chat support getting it up and running. It's still just as messed up.

I'm just wondering, from a conceptual standpoint, why in the world I don't have permission to delete files that I put on the server. I'm obviously a novice php user; I'm sure this is a rudimentary concept, but I really don't understand it. I mean, if I can't delete these files, then who can?! Confused

Thanks again!
Re: how do i delete forum files? - permissions error [message #3829 is a reply to message #3828] Sun, 07 July 2002 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
When the forum installer runs, it runs as the 'webserver' user. Hence, that user owns all the created files, so you who are a different user cannot delete those files unless they are made world writeable, which is a BIG security risk.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: how do i delete forum files? - permissions error [message #3832 is a reply to message #3829] Sun, 07 July 2002 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
add to buddy list
I see... I noticed that the files were created by "nobody"... is that the same thing as the webserver user you mentioned?

Is there some way I can login as this user?

Thanks!
Re: how do i delete forum files? - permissions error [message #3835 is a reply to message #3832] Sun, 07 July 2002 10:54 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
Nope, you cann login as that user unless you have root access.
Which is why there is a unlock/lock file control panel that allows you to temporarily make all forum's files world writeable so you can delete them if need be. As well as a file manager, which allows you to upload/delete files.

FUDforum Core Developer
Quick Reply
Formatting Tools:   
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic: How can I archive it?
Next Topic: What about Vietnamese? :-)
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Oct 23 18:48:07 EDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00785 seconds