FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Changing the order of topics
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Changing the order of topics [message #38695] Wed, 22 August 2007 20:48 Go to next message
nickimachler is currently offline  nickimachler   United States
I'm wondering if there is a way to make the topics within the forum appear from newest to oldest. Currently, the forums are listed from newest (at the top) to oldest (at the bottom) and I think it woudl be nice to be consistent among the topics as well. Please advise. Thanks!
Re: Changing the order of topics [message #38696 is a reply to message #38695] Wed, 22 August 2007 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   
Administrator
Core Developer
you need to modify the code inside th.inc.t responsible for ordering topics.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Changing the order of topics [message #38917 is a reply to message #38696] Thu, 06 September 2007 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia, I am not sure what you mean by this. Can you give me some quick instructional play-by-plays directions to get this to work?

Thank you!
Re: Changing the order of topics [message #38921 is a reply to message #38917] Fri, 07 September 2007 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You need to change sort order from ORDER BY asc to ORDER BY desc

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Changing the order of topics [message #38923 is a reply to message #38921] Fri, 07 September 2007 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia,
where would I go to find ORDER BY asc and ORDER BY desc in the Admin panel?
Re: Changing the order of topics [message #38947 is a reply to message #38923] Sun, 09 September 2007 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This option is inside the code, there no admin panel that controls this.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Changing the order of topics [message #38956 is a reply to message #38947] Mon, 10 September 2007 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PLEASE take 2 minutes and explain where EXACTLY I can find this code. I apologize for my ignorance, but would really appreciate a more thorough reply. Thanks for the help.
Re: Changing the order of topics [message #38959 is a reply to message #38956] Mon, 10 September 2007 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
In order for the topic order to be changed the forum's code inside th_adm.inc.t needs to be modified. Instead of sorting topics based on the time of the last posted message, but rather based on topic creation the following functions need to be modified:

th_reply_rebuild() this function can be made into NOOP

rebuild_forum_view_ttl() this needs to use the post_stamp of the root topic message to sort topics rather then the last message as it does now.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Changing the order of topics [message #38961 is a reply to message #38959] Tue, 11 September 2007 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I understand that the CODE needs to be change, but WHERE can I find the th.inc.t file to make this change? Where EXACTLY do I need to navigate to to find this file to make this change? I do not see a file of this type anywhere within the Admin settings, and I do not know where to go to find this file.

Where is this forum code found? Also, what is NOOP? I am not a programmer of any sort and have limited knowledge of anything code related. Please walk me through the steps in order to get this changed. We have a big client that is getting frustrated that their posts within topics are sorting from OLDEST to NEWEST and we would like to get this fixed ASAP.

Thanks,
Nicki
Re: Changing the order of topics [message #38987 is a reply to message #38695] Wed, 12 September 2007 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can I please get some help with this? Wear is the th.inc.t file located?

Thanks,
Nicki
Re: Changing the order of topics [message #38988 is a reply to message #38987] Wed, 12 September 2007 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The file is located inside the src/ directory of the forum, which itself is located inside the data root directory.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Changing the order of topics [message #38993 is a reply to message #38695] Wed, 12 September 2007 18:42 Go to previous message
I have found the files, but which one exactly do I need to modify? I just want to order the posts from NEWEST to OLDEST within a Topic. You mention 2 different files, th.inc.t and th_adm.inc.t. Do I need to modify BOTH of these files or just one of them? Can you just provide me with the new code that is needed to make this change? Or can you please tell me exactly what piece of code needs to change within what function?

Also, in looking at both of those files, all functions within them ARE ALREADY SORTED in DESC order. Nowhere do I see anything being sorted in ASC order. Which SELECT statement are you talking about and which one specifically needs to be altered?

Thanks,
Nicki

[Updated on: Wed, 12 September 2007 18:47]

Report message to a moderator

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Create New Users
Next Topic: need to get 6 latest post
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 12:26:22 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02694 seconds