FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Confusing question after real name during registration
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Confusing question after real name during registration [message #38723] Fri, 24 August 2007 16:28 Go to next message
JanRei is currently offline  JanRei   
Contributing Core Developer
Translator
I think the question for the real name during the registration is a bit confusing. The field for the name is required and so some people put in their real name without knowing that it will be show publicly shown in their profile.

What do you think about that?
Maybe the field for the real name could be made optional?

[Updated on: Fri, 24 August 2007 16:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Confusing question after real name during registration [message #38757 is a reply to message #38723] Sun, 26 August 2007 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   
Administrator
Core Developer
The real name can always be changed and some forums use it as means of separating users.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Confusing question after real name during registration [message #38779 is a reply to message #38723] Mon, 27 August 2007 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
You are right, but there is no indication on the registration form that the name will be shown publicly. And there are users who doesn't want that.

I didn't know that some forums rely on the real name. Then I could think of two other possibilities:
- add an option to hide the real name and maybe show it only to admins
- add a note that the name will be shown on the public profile
Re: Confusing question after real name during registration [message #38783 is a reply to message #38779] Mon, 27 August 2007 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Adding a note is I think a good place to start. If you see that this is an consistent issue for your users adjusting register.tmpl will do the trick.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Confusing question after real name during registration [message #38924 is a reply to message #38723] Fri, 07 September 2007 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Would this also be something for adding to the stock FUDforum? I have attached a patch for this.
Re: Confusing question after real name during registration [message #39912 is a reply to message #38723] Sun, 23 December 2007 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Astoria is currently offline  Astoria   United States
What about making the user's profile private by default instead of public?
Re: Confusing question after real name during registration [message #39967 is a reply to message #39912] Sun, 30 December 2007 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I am not sure it is such a good idea, it seems to defeat the purpose of a public forum Razz

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Confusing question after real name during registration [message #39971 is a reply to message #39967] Sun, 30 December 2007 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Astoria is currently offline  Astoria   United States
Ilia wrote on Sun, 30 December 2007 07:48

I am not sure it is such a good idea, it seems to defeat the purpose of a public forum Razz

Hmm, how about a Globals setting that admin can configure? Some forums have users who are picky about what they reveal, and to whom. I already don't allow anon browsers to view profiles on my forum.
Re: Confusing question after real name during registration [message #39986 is a reply to message #39971] Mon, 31 December 2007 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That's would be the way to do it yes.

I wonder how much demand is there for a feature such as this?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Confusing question after real name during registration [message #40227 is a reply to message #39986] Fri, 25 January 2008 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BAD35th is currently offline  BAD35th   Canada
I already had a female user at my forum stalked by someone online and they used it to discover other internet information and even turned up at her house! They also abused the forum and also sent mass PM's...I couldn't do anything about the PMs unfortuantely...I banned them and tried to kill all messages created by the user but it dodn't appear to work with recalling or deleting PMs. Since this happened we have made it a requirement that at least anonymous users could not look at members data without registering on the forum first.

With new Privacy Acts and Information Disclosure Laws coming into force, sadly the days of open accessibility standards may be behind us.
Re: Confusing question after real name during registration [message #40479 is a reply to message #38723] Sun, 09 March 2008 10:46 Go to previous message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
A setting for the user to choose to hide their name from anonymous/registered/groupmembers/moderators could be a way to do it I guess.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Edit/delete one's own posts only
Next Topic: Programmer needed
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:19:36 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02647 seconds