FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » LDAP Support?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
LDAP Support? [message #4307] Mon, 22 July 2002 19:57 Go to next message
smike is currently offline  smike   Germany
Is it planned to support LDAP for authorization?
Re: LDAP Support? [message #4308 is a reply to message #4307] Mon, 22 July 2002 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Not unless someone contracts this and then we decide it to be an important enough featgure to include in the distribution tree.

As it stands now there are no plans to integrate LDAP support into the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon5.gif  Re: LDAP Support? [message #7598 is a reply to message #4308] Thu, 05 December 2002 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lotussteve is currently offline  Lotussteve   Austria

prottoss schrieb am Mon, 22 Juli 2002 22:36

1.) Not unless someone contracts this and then we decide it to be an important enough featgure to include in the distribution tree.

2.) As it stands now there are no plans to integrate LDAP support into the forum.

Hello!

ad 1.) What does that mean? I would be VERY interested in LDAP-support, what can be done that this happens?

Sorry if i miss something obvious, i just recently found FUDforum as i was searching for a replacement for phpBB 2.0.3, also because it doesn`t support LDAP!

ad 2.) That would be too bad, i`m switching my community to a single sign-on system and this feature would be a great argument to convert to FUDforum!

Thanks for an answer in advance,

Yours,

Steve
Re: LDAP Support? [message #7610 is a reply to message #7598] Thu, 05 December 2002 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
1) If someone sponsors the development of FUDforum LDAP integration.

As is I do not see how LDAP integration will enchance FUDforum, the data is already stored in convient database.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon5.gif  Re: LDAP Support? [message #7614 is a reply to message #7610] Thu, 05 December 2002 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

prottoss schrieb am Don, 05 Dezember 2002 17:28

1) If someone sponsors the development of FUDforum LDAP integration.

2.) As is I do not see how LDAP integration will enchance FUDforum, the data is already stored in convient database.

Hello!

ad 1.) How is this done? Is there a URL describing how to start this?

ad 2.) Well, i have a community which uses a central server,a forum,a gallery, a CMS.......and i want to unify the logon-process.

Thanks,

Ciao,

Steve
Re: LDAP Support? [message #7623 is a reply to message #7614] Thu, 05 December 2002 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The login/auth process of FUDforum is fairly modular so you can replace it with your own auth. The problem is account syncronization, for example what happens when people register on the forum, do they have accounts created inside LDAP as well and so on...
The auth code can be found users users.inc.t & users_reg.inc.t

FUDforum Core Developer
icon1.gif  Re: LDAP Support? [message #7649 is a reply to message #7623] Sat, 07 December 2002 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

prottoss schrieb am Don, 05 Dezember 2002 22:13

The login/auth process of FUDforum is fairly modular so you can replace it with your own auth. The problem is account syncronization, for example what happens when people register on the forum, do they have accounts created inside LDAP as well and so on...
The auth code can be found users users.inc.t & users_reg.inc.t

Hello!

I`m thinking about a single page where the user can create his account in the LDAP and if he comes to the forumpage can log in with the LDAP-account. If he presses the "register"-button in the forum he is sent to the aforementioned page.

How is commissioning the LDAP-Support done, maybe my community finds this effort worth it.

Ciao,

Steve
Re: LDAP Support? [message #7650 is a reply to message #7649] Sat, 07 December 2002 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Send me as detailed of a spec as your can of what you want to be done via email (ilia(at)prohost(dot)org), I'll clarify any ambigious points or suggest features/additions and/or possible alternatives. Once we agree on the final spec I'll give you a quote.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon14.gif  Re: LDAP Support? [message #7651 is a reply to message #7650] Sat, 07 December 2002 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

prottoss schrieb am Sam, 07 Dezember 2002 18:23

Send me as detailed of a spec as your can of what you want to be done via email (ilia(at)prohost(dot)org), I'll clarify any ambigious points or suggest features/additions and/or possible alternatives. Once we agree on the final spec I'll give you a quote.

Hello!

I will tell this my members, we have a meeting at the end of december, where we will work this out. I will send it then to you!

Thank you in advance,

Ciao,

Steve
Re: LDAP Support? [message #8342 is a reply to message #4307] Wed, 22 January 2003 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
valiant is currently offline  valiant   Switzerland
hmm, as usual, new ideas but nothing behind it lol.

i've never heard of a LDAP<->website syndication. is that saver than php+mysql?
standardized authentication would be a great benefit, but the syndication of CMS + forum isn't that hard...
Re: LDAP Support? [message #8350 is a reply to message #8342] Thu, 23 January 2003 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

valiant schrieb am Mit, 22 Januar 2003 23:06

1.) hmm, as usual, new ideas but nothing behind it lol.

2.) standardized authentication would be a great benefit, but the syndication of CMS + forum isn't that hard...

Hallo!

ad 1.) What do you mean by that? We are in the middle of registering our association ("Verein") so we will look at that when we have the time for it...or did i understand you wrong? Smile

ad 2.) I agree with the authentication, but regarding syndication: the CMS we are using doesn`t support database-prefixes, so it`s a little harder. I hope i understood right what you meant though...

Ciao,

Steve
Re: LDAP Support? [message #8362 is a reply to message #8350] Thu, 23 January 2003 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
valiant is currently offline  valiant   Switzerland
hey, you're alive Smile
no, you got me right, it seemed as if your presence here faded out in the last weeks of december 2002 Wink

2. hmm, no prefixes? no big prob, just hack a little more Smile
but actually, i hate hacking existing solutions as phpBB, gallery, ... as they come out with new version all few months and you're adviced to upgrade. but if you have installed lots of mods, hacked a syndicaition or some own styles, you gotta to do all over again after upgrading to the new version Sad

a little offtopic, i know...
icon7.gif  Re: LDAP Support? [message #8377 is a reply to message #8362] Fri, 24 January 2003 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

valiant schrieb am Fre, 24 Januar 2003 00:02

1.) hey, you're alive Smile
no, you got me right, it seemed as if your presence here faded out in the last weeks of december 2002 Wink

2.) hmm, no prefixes? no big prob, just hack a little more Smile

3.) but actually, i hate hacking existing solutions as phpBB, gallery, ... as they come out with new version all few months and you're adviced to upgrade. but if you have installed lots of mods, hacked a syndicaition or some own styles, you gotta to do all over again after upgrading to the new version Sad
a little offtopic, i know...

Hello!

ad 1.) Yeah, alive and kicking, but tied up with the "Verein" and installing our new server.

ad 2.) Hehehehe, there are 48 hours days now? Wink

ad 3.) I`m exactly in this situation, which is why i'm looking for a upgradefriendly substitute of phpbb --> here, and with LDAP it would have all i need when our new server is up and running. But until this is done (the server) i`ll have to put this here a little down my TODO list Smile

Thanks,

Ciao,

Steve

[Updated on: Fri, 24 January 2003 22:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: LDAP Support? [message #18643 is a reply to message #8377] Tue, 01 June 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tobias Eigen is currently offline  Tobias Eigen   United States
Has anybody made progress with LDAP auth and FUD?

Best wishes,

Tobias

Kabissa - Space for change in Africa
Re: LDAP Support? [message #18644 is a reply to message #18643] Tue, 01 June 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
No to my knowledge.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: LDAP Support? [message #18645 is a reply to message #18644] Tue, 01 June 2004 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gribnif is currently offline  Gribnif   United States
I have implemented it, but it's specific to our site. It would take a bit of work to generalize it enough for everyone to use.

Ilia, if you're interested in the PHP code, let me know in a private email.

[Edit]: I should also mention that adding LDAP auth makes it very difficult to have user accounts that are created within FUD itself. It's much easier to force all accounts to be validated using the LDAP directory and disable new account creation in FUD.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 June 2004 15:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: LDAP Support? [message #18646 is a reply to message #18645] Tue, 01 June 2004 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you want feel free to share your implementation on the hacks forum. I can't say that this is something I'd be looking to integrate into the base install.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: LDAP Support? [message #159029 is a reply to message #18646] Sat, 25 April 2009 15:31 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Hi,

An LDAP plugin was committed to CVS. To use it, install from CVS or wait for the final FUDforum 2.8.1 release.

Best regards.

Frank
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Progress with FUDforum 2.8.1 RC1
Next Topic: Can we drop PHP4 support?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 03 11:06:57 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03261 seconds