FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Malformed header from script error
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon5.gif  Malformed header from script error [message #7675] Mon, 09 December 2002 23:50 Go to next message
pinkandblue is currently offline  pinkandblue   United Kingdom
When trying to run install.php v2.3.5 I get a "Page cannot be displayed" error.

This appears in my web hosts error log for every attempted run:

"[Mon Dec 9 23:38:53 2002] [error] [client 195.92.168.164] malformed header from script. Bad header=
: /domains/p/i/pinkandblue.org.uk/public_html/forum/install.php"

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Nick
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7676 is a reply to message #7675] Tue, 10 December 2002 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
No idea, what webserver & php are you using?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7790 is a reply to message #7675] Sun, 15 December 2002 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulholman   United Kingdom
I'm getting the same error here when I try to make a clean new install.

Not sure how I can find out what version of PHP the virtual UNIX server the site is hosted on though.

Paul
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7791 is a reply to message #7790] Sun, 15 December 2002 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm trying to make a clean install to.
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7809 is a reply to message #7790] Mon, 16 December 2002 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
make a script with:
<?php phpinfo(); ?> and run it, this will not only tell you the version of your PHP, but also allow you to see what modules are avaliable & other PHP settings.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7811 is a reply to message #7809] Mon, 16 December 2002 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've uploaded a script like that at www.paulholman.com/forum/phpver.php it reports PHP installed version 4.2.3 etc etc.

Other php scripts work fine it just seems to be FUD install files don't work at the moment.
Any ideas ?

Paul
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7816 is a reply to message #7811] Mon, 16 December 2002 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
How did you upload the file to the server as ASCII or as Binary? You need to upload the installer as binary for it to work.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7818 is a reply to message #7816] Mon, 16 December 2002 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was uploaded as binary.
This is the second time I've tried to install FUD.
The first time worked fine (once I knew what to put in the configuration pages), but after a month started to misbehave (not displaying icons etc). I vaped the installation completely, but despite using the same settings and files it now won't install.
My hosting company reckon there's no problem with PHP and the version detecting script I've placed on the server works OK, as do other PHP based scripts I've tried.
So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to try next.

Paul
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7820 is a reply to message #7818] Mon, 16 December 2002 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You've mentioned you have used old configuration files, how did you do that? Are you installing over an existing forum?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7823 is a reply to message #7818] Mon, 16 December 2002 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I decided to do a clean install for exactly the same reasons (missing icons etc.)

Who is your host? Mines a virtual host hosternet.co.uk.
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7830 is a reply to message #7820] Tue, 17 December 2002 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No I didn't say I used the same configuation files. I should have been clearer, I used the same configuration for the FTP program (ie binary transfer) and the same file I used previously, so there shouldn't be any issues with incorrect ransfer or unzipping.

For reference; I've also tried unpacking two different archives, so have tried three different install.php scripts now with the same results.

Paul
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7831 is a reply to message #7823] Tue, 17 December 2002 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A virtual host too.
www.icukhosting.co.uk

Paul
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7836 is a reply to message #7831] Tue, 17 December 2002 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Send me the copy of the install script you are running (from the server) to ilia(at)prohost(dot)org

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7858 is a reply to message #7836] Wed, 18 December 2002 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure you want a 3mb mail ?

I can send one to you, but which one of the three scripts would you like ? I haven't altered them at all anyway.

As one did work previously and someone else has the same problems, it seems more likely that something might have happened to other servers, rather than the scripts.

Paul
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7877 is a reply to message #7858] Fri, 20 December 2002 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yeah, send the email.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7936 is a reply to message #7877] Mon, 30 December 2002 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should have recieved the mail over the holiday period.

Paul
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7987 is a reply to message #7836] Sun, 05 January 2003 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've just tried to run the install.php script from 2.3.6RC4 and still get the error

[Sun Jan 5 17:10:25 2003] [error] [client 62.3.124.241] malformed header from script. Bad header=
: /domains/p/a/paulholman.com/public_html/forum/install.php

Is there anything that my ISP may have done that would cuse these errors ?

I've had no errors with other PHP scripts, should I just give up with FUD ?

Paul
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #7991 is a reply to message #7987] Sun, 05 January 2003 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Try removing the bit with binary data at the top of the script.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #8001 is a reply to message #7991] Mon, 06 January 2003 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still same error.

Script now starts
----------------cut----------------------------------------
<?php
if( !ini_get("track_errors") ) ini_set("track_errors", 1);
if( !ini_get("display_errors") ) ini_set("display_errors", 1);
-------------------cut-------------------------------------

What interests me is that both pinkandblue and myself have had similar errors. Both happened after the icons stopped displaying on the forum pages.
Is it possible that some odd configuration change has happened to our, virtual, servers that made the "icon" problem happen and now makes it impossible to install the script ?
The script installed perfectly a couple of months ago.

If it's a problem at our hosting we need to know what to try and chase. My company claims PHP is OK, which it seems to be with other scripts, could mySQL be causing this sort of error ?

Ta

Paul
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #8005 is a reply to message #8001] Mon, 06 January 2003 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmm could you show me phpinfo() output on yourserver?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #8013 is a reply to message #8005] Mon, 06 January 2003 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have a look at www.paulholman.com/forum/phpver.php

Paul
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #8014 is a reply to message #8013] Mon, 06 January 2003 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ok, I see that you are using CGI sapi, which may be what is causing this problem.
Let's go step by step, at the bottom of the file there is a BIG binary data string, if you remove that 'string' does the script begin to work?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #8015 is a reply to message #8014] Mon, 06 January 2003 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still the same error I'm afraid.

Paul
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #8017 is a reply to message #8015] Mon, 06 January 2003 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Very unusual.

At the top of the script there are some enviroment (PHP) modifying settings, if you remove them
        error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);
        ini_set("memory_limit", "20M");
        ignore_user_abort(true);
        set_magic_quotes_runtime(0);
        @set_time_limit(600);

does the problem remain?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #8023 is a reply to message #8017] Tue, 07 January 2003 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm afraid it still fails with the same error.

Header now reads;
-----------------cut----------------------------------
<?php

if( !ini_get("track_errors") ) ini_set("track_errors", 1);
if( !ini_get("display_errors") ) ini_set("display_errors", 1);

/* Determine SafeMode Limitations */
if( !ini_get("safe_mode") )
$SAFE_MODE = 0;
else
$SAFE_MODE = 1;

$SLASH = ( !empty...............etc
-----------------cut----------------------------------

Paul
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #8027 is a reply to message #8023] Tue, 07 January 2003 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
By removing chunks of the install script could you try to narrow down to the problem to the smaller possible piece of code. I am unfortunately unable to replicate the problem you describe on any of my test systems.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Malformed header from script error [message #18208 is a reply to message #7987] Thu, 13 May 2004 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
excess_heat is currently offline  excess_heat   United States
I had an issue where the FUD forum was working fine under one Apache server installation, but I always got the malformed header error when running the FUD forum under an identically built Apache server. The problem was found in the Apache httpd.conf file.

The problem entry in the httpd.conf file is:
AddHandler send-as-is .css
When this line was removed or commented-out, it fixed the malformed header issue in the FUD forum.

Re: Malformed header from script error [message #18209 is a reply to message #18208] Thu, 13 May 2004 14:12 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Thanks for the info, I am sure it would be of use to other users.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Notice: Undefined variable: _COOKIES
Next Topic: error in index.php
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu May 16 05:43:31 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02535 seconds