FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » "Password protected forums"
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
"Password protected forums" [message #8746] Thu, 20 February 2003 23:39 Go to next message
Peter d is currently offline  Peter d   United States
I was thrilled to see (among the features list) the item
"Hidden, Private, Moderated and Password protected forums"
However, that didn't last after an install and test when I
discovered my misunderstanding of the words.

I was surpried to find that "Password protected" applied
only to _posting_ to a forum, not to _all_ access to it.

I realize it is a philosophical difference, but I would like
to request (beg?) that password protection be extended to
_all_ access. That is, one cannot even get into a password
protected forum to view posts without providing the password.

Peter d.
Re: "Password protected forums" [message #8754 is a reply to message #8746] Fri, 21 February 2003 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Password protection indeed only applies to posting and I consider this feature to be absolete simply because the group managment system can do this and much more.

Consider, if you have a forum protected by a password it means only people with that password can view/read/post in it. With the group managment system you can define a set of users who can access the forum as well as the actions they can perform specifically. Versus with password protection you are only blocking posting. Password protection is also not reliable since there is nothing to prevent user A from giving the password to user B.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: "Password protected forums" [message #8773 is a reply to message #8746] Fri, 21 February 2003 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter d is currently offline  Peter d   United States
Hello,

Thank you for the response and I'll take the "No" and continue
my search...

You said: "the group managment system can do this and much more"

I would add that at the cost of a LOT of labor for a 100-
student lecture section that has to be on line in a week.

You also said: "Password protection is also not reliable
since there is nothing to prevent user A from giving the
password to user B."

Absolutely correct and REASONABLE. However, I am dealing
with faculty and "reasonable" has little effect in my world.
They _had_ PW-protected forums (in an obsolete board) and
they're going to make my life hell until they have it back.
They give out the PW in lecture, and their work is done. My
attitude is that no one CARES about BSL-101 unless they're
in the class, but the faculty think differently...

Thanks again,
Peter d.

Re: "Password protected forums" [message #8776 is a reply to message #8773] Sat, 22 February 2003 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
When you have a password protected forum you need to give the password to every user who will need to access it. With group permissions you simply deny permission to ALL users and allow it to a select group of people that you choose.
Time taken to set this up is probably 10 minutes and maybe another 10 seconds for every additional user that you add beyond the ones added initially.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: "Password protected forums" [message #11839 is a reply to message #8776] Fri, 18 July 2003 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Micha37 is currently offline  Micha37   Germany
Hi Prottoss,

also for me the possibility of a fully password protected forum would be useful.

Alternatively it would be a good feature, to allow access to a forum only to those users, which are comming from a certain defined URL.

I am running some memberzone and I would like automatically to grant those members access to a certain forum. If I have to do that manually for each user by using the group manager, its too heavy job.

Again, this is just something "nice to have" but not an absolute requirement.

Best regards

Michael

[Updated on: Fri, 18 July 2003 16:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: "Password protected forums" [message #11842 is a reply to message #11839] Fri, 18 July 2003 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
First of all you have a powerful group permission system that allows you a far greater control and flexibility then a mere password that only restricts posting. You can of course use the combination of the two for extra bit of security. I do believe that the task you are trying to do can already be accomplished using existing tools.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: "Password protected forums" [message #11845 is a reply to message #11839] Fri, 18 July 2003 17:10 Go to previous message
ftanner is currently offline  ftanner   United States

Micha37 wrote on Fri, 18 July 2003 12:16

Hi Prottoss,

also for me the possibility of a fully password protected forum would be useful.

Alternatively it would be a good feature, to allow access to a forum only to those users, which are comming from a certain defined URL.

I am running some memberzone and I would like automatically to grant those members access to a certain forum. If I have to do that manually for each user by using the group manager, its too heavy job.

Again, this is just something "nice to have" but not an absolute requirement.

Best regards

Michael

What you are asking for is doable from within the Apache configuration itself. I have my Apache web server set up so that my users only have access from within certain pre-defined subnets to get to certain portions of the Intranet site I have set up and other portions must be accessed using passwords. It is relatively trivial to set these up.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Expirary Date Question
Next Topic: Integrated Listserv/Mailing List (ie, not bridging)
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 11 15:54:53 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02025 seconds