FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Repeatable failure
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon4.gif  Repeatable failure [message #9061] Tue, 11 March 2003 07:11 Go to next message
Franklin is currently offline  Franklin   United States
On WinNT4 SP6a, 500 Meg RAM, Fast server, IIS4.0 all patches, latest PHP (installed securely; no globals), latest MySQL, latest FUD, (I upgraded hoping the fix was in 2.3.8, was using 2.3.7) Rolling Eyes

When under a moderate load. 10 users, or one clicking really fast, on a large pull of records, or a search for a commonly used phrase. Multiple instances of PHP processes start to run, and do not disengage, using 100% CPU and depending on the number of instances, all of available RAM. On the 2.3.7 there did not seem to span as many sessions of PHP. On 2.3.8 it is far worse. Less load brings down the server. Killing the PHP sessions one by one, re-enables the services to run as normal. Task Manager will not kill them, I have to use a third party tool to kill the processes. Sometimes, only a reboot will solve it. And normally fast PHP instances continue to run, unless the load is ramped up again. It maybe a windows only problem. I have limited servers, but may move all my forums to a Linux box for stability. I would rather not spend any more time one this though.

I have upgraded my MySQL, and PHP trying to figure this one out. It has been ongoing for months. Of late, it has started to increase, maybe because we are getting a greater load on this forum. I have only 1 FUD and love it. I have 3 Phorums, hate them. But I have tried running a load stress test on them, with similar loads, and no failure, no multiple instances.

I have scoured the PHP forums, and MySQL on this, thinking it was one of their problems. I am sorry to say, it is here. I have done a complete check on all client PHP code on the server. And can duplicate it on my server without a problem. ( this is a big problem! )

I have placed my forum, under maintenance mode for now. Help!
Re: Repeatable failure [message #9139 is a reply to message #9061] Thu, 13 March 2003 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
What version of PHP are you using?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Repeatable failure [message #9140 is a reply to message #9139] Thu, 13 March 2003 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PHP: 4.3.0
Re: Repeatable failure [message #9141 is a reply to message #9140] Thu, 13 March 2003 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just went to PHP site, and see that there is a 4.3.1 and there is a problem with 4.3.0 .

I am installing now. And testing. I will report back as soon as it is done.
Re: Repeatable failure [message #9145 is a reply to message #9141] Thu, 13 March 2003 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here are my results. It is worse. On a smaller load, the processes launch on each click and do not let go. I saw over 20 instances of PHP running. Had to reboot. Tried again after reboot and immediately instances started that I had to manually shutdown. I did a test on another forum that is in PHP that is not FUD and the load did not breed the processes and did not bring down the server. Help!
Re: Repeatable failure [message #9151 is a reply to message #9145] Thu, 13 March 2003 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
What sapi are you using CGI?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Repeatable failure [message #9152 is a reply to message #9151] Thu, 13 March 2003 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes CGI is the recomended way for IIS. I am looking in my PHP.ini, I have this setting disabled. Should it be on with the recomended settings? My PHP is now 4.3.1.1 .

; FastCGI under IIS (on WINNT based OS) supports the ability to impersonate
; security tokens of the calling client. This allows IIS to define the
; security context that the request runs under. mod_fastcgi under Apache
; does not currently support this feature (03/17/2002)
; Set to 1 if running under IIS. Default is zero.
; fastcgi.impersonate = 1;
Re: Repeatable failure [message #9155 is a reply to message #9152] Thu, 13 March 2003 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I'll be honest I have not experience with PHP under IIS and my CGI knowledge is somewhat limited. I do however know that CGI is somewhat broken in 4.3.X releases and hopefuly the upcomming 4.3.2 will be the fix for it.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Repeatable failure [message #9156 is a reply to message #9155] Thu, 13 March 2003 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There was a CGI venerability that hit all versions of PHP on all platforms in 4.3.0. I just did some checking around in the bugtrack of PHP on the recommended setting of

; fastcgi.impersonate = 1;

And did not see anything that give any light on it. I am going to enable it. Test and post my results. Thanks for helping.
Re: Repeatable failure [message #9166 is a reply to message #9156] Thu, 13 March 2003 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, I got caught in jobs. It did not make a difference. Same problem.
Re: Repeatable failure [message #9181 is a reply to message #9166] Fri, 14 March 2003 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It has to be a FUD coding problem. I am now looking into the code. I am a novice PHP coder. So please forgive any stupid questions. (been coding since 1978)

According to the docs at PHP(and comments) using chmod for permissions should use the octagonal form of xxxx and not the decimal form of xxx. But according to the notes by contributers, this (xxxx) does not work on Win32 systems. I found numerous cmods in the code of FUD. And a workaround for Win32 should be added on the definition of the permissions. Othewise it really is not a platform-less product, but a 'NIX product only. Here is what the PHP docs say.

chmod ("/somedir/somefile", 755); // decimal; probably incorrect
chmod ("/somedir/somefile", "u+rwx,go+rx"); // string; incorrect
chmod ("/somedir/somefile", 0755); // octal; correct value of mode

Nothing is said in the docs (nothing I can find) about this, but the user comments do. They say to use the decimal version only on Win32. My PHP bible says that chmod is "Inoperative on Windows systems". If this is key to how FUD works, then maybe that needs to be looked into.
icon10.gif  Re: Repeatable failure [message #9236 is a reply to message #9181] Tue, 18 March 2003 14:07 Go to previous message
Well my solution may not be everyones. I moved the forum to Linux. Now no problems. Was able to move the database and message file over and get it running. No load problems, no speed problems. I wish the Fud had more WinTel Support, but for us, it is still a great product.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: FATAL ERROR. Forum is Out :-((
Next Topic: Message post permissions issues
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 11:40:19 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02503 seconds