FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Move the forum to a new Server - Step by Step
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon5.gif  Move the forum to a new Server - Step by Step [message #40624] Sun, 30 March 2008 14:41 Go to next message
voisardf is currently offline  voisardf   Switzerland
hello everybody,

yet another one with a migration problem... Rolling Eyes
I am changing my ISP and have to move my FUDforum (2.7.6) to a new server. I tried for several hours now to get my old forum running on the new server, without sucess... I got some nice MySQL errors and blank pages.
So I would appreciate little bit of help Smile
I have to admit that I'm not particularly familiar with the FUDforum yet and that I did not read all the existing posts on that topic...so my first question would be:

Is there a step by step explication "how to move to a new server" somewhere in the documentation or could anybody provide my this information?

I already found out that it is not possible to import the 2.7.6 data in a 2.7.7 Forum, because the table structure has slightly changed (some new fields).
Furthermore I'd like to change the folder organisation for my data folder, so I would need to replace the old paths by the new one anyway. And I have created my own theme and set it as default.

Stange things I encounter:
When trying to unlock my forumfiles I end up with a blank screen in Firefox 2.x and Safari 3.x and the "FUDdata/include/theme" folder is not unlocked (0700) is this normal?
When I try to make a forum datadump in the admin console I also end up with a blank screen and a .gz file with a size varying from 27 MB upto 3.3 Gb for a forum with about 150 posts only!

I'm on MacOS 10.4.x;
The old server is on FreeBSD 5.5; MySQL 3.23.58; Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) and very very slow (the reason I move)
The new Server is on Linux tux41 2.6.11.4; MySQL 4.0.27; Apache ?

Thanks in advance for your help!

François
Re: Move the forum to a new Server - Step by Step [message #40683 is a reply to message #40624] Thu, 03 April 2008 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G0mez is currently offline  G0mez   United Kingdom
Can't do you a guaranteed step by step, but so far I've found...

1. Setup the exact same version of the forum on new host (didn't work at all right until I did the part in bold)

2. Backup existing forum (make forum datadump)

3. Transfer dump to new host

4. Import datadump

Seems to work, apart from the fact the javascript formatting/smiley insertion tools don't work, if anyone has any ideas why that happened, I'd love to know how to fix it.
Re: Move the forum to a new Server - Step by Step [message #40684 is a reply to message #40683] Thu, 03 April 2008 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G0mez is currently offline  G0mez   United Kingdom
G0mez wrote on Thu, 03 April 2008 12:59

Seems to work, apart from the fact the javascript formatting/smiley insertion tools don't work, if anyone has any ideas why that happened, I'd love to know how to fix it.

http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=37468&msg_37468

Seems the lib.js can get corrupted when you do a dump and restore (I'm on 2.7.6) copied over the clean one and bingo! Surprised

[Updated on: Thu, 03 April 2008 12:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Move the forum to a new Server - Step by Step [message #40895 is a reply to message #40624] Fri, 25 April 2008 13:19 Go to previous message
voisardf is currently offline  voisardf   Switzerland
hello,

Thanks a lot for your help!
I finally managed the transfer, but had to choose a different way because of two major issues:

1. An awful slow response time from my old server (the reason for the migration)
  2. The unlocking of the forum files did not work properly; some of the subfolders and files in the FUD data folder (theme, images, i18n an so on) have not been set to 0777 or 0666, so I couldn't see or download them as I have no login permissons as root. Maybe the response time of the server is also the cause of this problem

So, if the "normal" way described by GOmez won't work, this is how I managed it.

1. I did a basic install of the same forum version (2.7.6) on the new server
  2. Then I desactivated the old forum and unlocked the files in the admin panel
  3. Afterwards I chmoded the still locked folders uploading a little php script and executing it from a web accessible folder (with chmod('absolute_path_of_the_folder', 0777))
  4. Then I downloaded the Globals.php, the files and the theme folder from the data root folder
  5. Afterwards I did a MySQL data export of the old forum tables with phpMyAdmin and opened it in a text editor to change the absolute paths to the attachement files stored in the "fud_attach" table
  6. This done, I imported the tables in the new server's database (replacing the empty ones of the basic install)
  7. I changed all the absolute paths in the old globals.php to point to the new server's folder and replaced the globals.php from the basic install on the new server with the modified one. - Don't forget to change the database user & password as I did Wink if it's not the same on the two servers...
  8. I also replaced the files and theme folder of the new basic install with the old ones I downloaded before
  9. Finally, I logged into the new forum admin console, run a consistency check, a database optimization and rebuilt all the themes, locked the new forum and everthing worked fine.

That's it - or almost. I think I still have some minor issues with some of the old attachements

François Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Private Messaging Wonderments
Next Topic: Ban privelegy, how to add?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 00:23:35 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02699 seconds