FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Mailing List Feature: Remove Mailing List Signature
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon3.gif  Mailing List Feature: Remove Mailing List Signature [message #40840] Wed, 16 April 2008 19:23 Go to next message
jeffrey is currently offline  jeffrey   United States
For a mailing list, give the option to look for and remove a mailing list signature that gets duplicated over and over in the same message when people reply to emails from the list.

Usually the mailing list signature contains multiple lines and looks something like:

Quote:

---------------------
it discuss mailing list: discuss(at)itdiscuss(dot)org
Mailing List: http://itdiscuss.org/discuss
Web Discussion Board: http://itdiscuss.org/discuss-forum
Wiki: http://itdiscuss.org/wiki
Internet Relay Chat: irc://irc.freenode.net/citrt

I suggest keeping the first occurance of the tag and then cutting out all of the other ones. It also needs to recognize the pattern, one per line, even if it has other characters in front of it (ie, when people forward they start getting >, >>, >>>, >>>>... in front of them and it would need to chop these out.

Right now I have a script of my own that chops these out before handing it over to FUDforum, but it would be a useful feature to be built-in I think.
Re: Mailing List Feature: Remove Mailing List Signature [message #40846 is a reply to message #40840] Thu, 17 April 2008 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   United States
Administrator
Core Developer
The forum has a regex option in the mailing list panel to let you strip standard blocks of text.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing List Feature: Remove Mailing List Signature [message #40848 is a reply to message #40846] Thu, 17 April 2008 18:32 Go to previous message
jeffrey is currently offline  jeffrey   United States
What I would like to see can't be accomplished with a simple regular expression.

The basic idea is to remove duplicated patterns (or signatures) that take up multiple lines. Email programs embed various text around the signatures as well (with >>) and I want those characters to be deleted as well.

I also don't want to delete all patterns found. I want the first occurrence of the pattern to remain and then all other duplicated versions to be removed.

Also, it would be nice if the user could paste in the signature he wanted filtered and clearly see the pattern you want to be removed, instead of forming this complex regular expression, and pasting all of that into a little box. I would prefer the program to build the regex by inserting the \n for me.

I would also want to be able to filter multiple patterns in this way (to take out Yahoo signatures, and other advertisements).

This is what my program that I have written does, it filters the message and removes these patterns before handing it over to FUDforum.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 April 2008 18:33]

Report message to a moderator

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Make Merge Topic Control Panel Longer
Next Topic: Separating source and data
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 02:55:11 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01930 seconds