FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Print post/thread?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon3.gif  Print post/thread? [message #5531] Sat, 07 September 2002 08:27 Go to next message
Kyfhon is currently offline  Kyfhon   United States
It seems like this would be a simple feature to add. Pretty much just strip the extra stuff like headers and buttons. Unfortunately my knowledge of PHP precludes me from making a patch.
Re: Print post/thread? [message #5542 is a reply to message #5531] Sat, 07 September 2002 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I have considered this feature, but I've yet to come up with a 'good' way of doing without creating virtually a copy of each page that could be printed.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Print post/thread? [message #5543 is a reply to message #5542] Sun, 08 September 2002 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   United States
prottoss wrote on Sat, 07 September 2002 17:59

I have considered this feature, but I've yet to come up with a 'good' way of doing without creating virtually a copy of each page that could be printed.

That's generally how it's done, it would strip the extra stuff so as not to waste paper.
Re: Print post/thread? [message #5547 is a reply to message #5543] Sun, 08 September 2002 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, if the only way to do this is make a copy of everypage formatted for printing this feature will not likely to appear for quite a while. IMHO it is just not worth the effort needed to make it.

I would be more interested in desgining a function that would format existing layout into something printer friendly.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Print post/thread? [message #5550 is a reply to message #5531] Sun, 08 September 2002 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JamesS is currently offline  JamesS   United States
wouldnt using php's pdf generating library be a way to do it? i realize that it is not the most portable way but it should generate prints that look exactly like the webpage.
Re: Print post/thread? [message #5552 is a reply to message #5550] Sun, 08 September 2002 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That's not nearly portable enough, since it would require the PDF extension that most people do not have installed.
Plus, the idea is that during printing images and stuff like that is not shown, otherwise just using the print button would work.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Print post/thread? [message #5553 is a reply to message #5531] Sun, 08 September 2002 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JamesS is currently offline  JamesS   United States
yeah i kinda figured as much. seems about the easiest way though without writing a custom function to reformat pages on the fly.
Re: Print post/thread? [message #9275 is a reply to message #5543] Wed, 19 March 2003 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
So, still no print feature?
I am not a pro in development, but is e.g. adding beside "Quote Message" a button "print message" which would generate a page using the same reference mechanism (may be 2 more references) than quote, which outputs simply a page containing

Forum Host/Forum name/Thread name (or whatever is printed on top of each table with messages)

<TR><TD>username</TD> <TD> postdate</TD></TR>
<TR><TD COLSPAN=2>post content</TD></TD>

would it be difficult to implement such a feature?
Print thread feature would be nice to have too and it seems to me quite logical and printer friendly if you use the same format for the whole thread output, just no need to break the thread into pages, since you can't guess where the user's printed page will be cut due to theme or system or browser chosen font-size, therefore cutting print_thread into pages could only add confusion for some users and consume more of their paper sheets Smile.

And this is the ONLY major feature IMHO that FUDforum lacks, I guess I will bless you forever guys for such a great job! Very Happy It's my pleasure working with it even though I only started

Lady of Avalon

[Updated on: Wed, 19 March 2003 20:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Print post/thread? [message #9328 is a reply to message #9275] Mon, 24 March 2003 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Agreed, this is something that may appear in the next release, not the one due in the next few days.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Print post/thread? [message #38824 is a reply to message #9328] Thu, 30 August 2007 16:51 Go to previous message
Astoria is currently offline  Astoria   United States
Ilia wrote on Mon, 24 March 2003 07:25

Agreed, this is something that may appear in the next release, not the one due in the next few days.

Will this feature (as described in the post above the one I'm quoting) ever be implemented?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Security - IP Logging
Next Topic: Typo3 Integration
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 26 16:24:50 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02390 seconds