FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » Test Forum » Fudforum Not Working?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Fudforum Not Working? [message #157902] Mon, 10 November 2008 22:46 Go to next message
Anonymous   Ireland
I can;t get Fudforum working and this site doesn't seem to be working anymore. Has Fudforum been deserted?
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157906 is a reply to message #157902] Thu, 13 November 2008 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
What do you mean by "this site doesn't seem to be working anymore?"

Everything works as it is supported to.

If you have any problems, please post them to the appropriate forum.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157933 is a reply to message #157906] Sat, 27 December 2008 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Canada
Maybe what he means is some of us signed up many months ago and nobody seems to be checking the "authorization requests" mailbox any more - nor any of the other email addresses associated with it, including Ilia's personal address or those of Advanced Internet Designs Inc.

Which is why he's posting in the "test" forum anonymously, like me - because he can't get authorized. I myself have been in the queue for authorization since the first week of September and I still can't post questions or even PM another user to ask for help. I solved some of my own problems, I'm still dealing with others.

Since the software hasn't been updated since 2007 , the site is no longer being maintained, the administrator last logged on in October (without attending to his authorization messages) and last posted on May 19th 2008 ( http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=usrinfo&id=876& ) and no moderators who I contacted ever got back to me, it seems to be an abandoned site and abandoned software - the fact that we're still using it notwithstanding.
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157935 is a reply to message #157933] Sun, 28 December 2008 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, I've been able to contact Ilia and he promised to review/commit some of my FUDforum patches early next year. So, I'm pretty sure that we will see a new release in 2009.

Also, as far as I understand, there is no "authorization queue" for new users, just for posts (which I can approve while Ilia is busy with his other projects). Just look at the "Members" page. People manage to register all the time.
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157965 is a reply to message #157935] Wed, 14 January 2009 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Canada
naudefj wrote on Sun, 28 December 2008 03:16

Well, I've been able to contact Ilia and he promised to review/commit some of my FUDforum patches early next year. So, I'm pretty sure that we will see a new release in 2009.

If you have a chance to ask him about user "kerryg" I'd be obliged. I've had his forum installed since September '08 and contacted him multiple times, but I have unresolvable issues with USENET sync so my forums have sat unlaunched since I built them in September.

naudefj wrote on Sun, 28 December 2008 03:16

Also, as far as I understand, there is no "authorization queue" for new users, just for posts (which I can approve while Ilia is busy with his other projects). Just look at the "Members" page. People manage to register all the time.

I must be special then. I just checked, and this is the same message I've been getting since September.

Quote:

Unverified Account

The administrator had chosen to review all accounts manually prior to activation. Until your account has been validated by the administrator you will not be able to utilize the full capabilities of your account.

I would have happily communicated about this issue privately - and I've tried, many times. I can't PM other users, nor even return the PM of folks who have messaged me. Nor can I access the emails of other users to pass messages to mods. Nor has Ilia returned any of my multiple emails on this topic, which I have sent to multiple email addresses associated with this software.

One wonders if this has happened to others less persistent than I, who just quietly went away?
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157966 is a reply to message #157965] Wed, 14 January 2009 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
OK, you've proofed your point - there is a registration queue. Can you please try to register again (some users are getting approved). I will also contact Ilia to see what we can do about the situation.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157973 is a reply to message #157966] Wed, 14 January 2009 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Canada
Thank you, Frank, that's GREATLY appreciated!
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157977 is a reply to message #157973] Wed, 14 January 2009 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Canada
Just to follow up, last night I did as you suggested - logged out and registered a new account. Same result - "admin has chosen to review all accounts so you can't do anything yet" etc.

Something I find amusing is that I actually have less privileges as a person who's tried to register *twice* than an anonymous user has. I'm not allowed to even post to this test forum unless I log out and post anonymously.
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157978 is a reply to message #157977] Thu, 15 January 2009 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Canada
Ahah.

Check this out:

http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=finduser&btn_submit=Find&

That's all the people who have signed up for the FUDForum here, starting with the most recent (my own second attempt at registration "parisadmin") and working backwards.

Now start scrolling back through history, one page at a time. Check post counts for each user.

See what I see? Zero. Zero, Zero, Zero (there's one "4" in the middle, but I'm sure there's a story behind that anomaly).

So - basically a lot of people have registered since last summer but if I'm not mistaken, it seems that nobody who registered since last summer has actually posted a single solitary message.

They just registered and walked away for good.

That's a heck of a fact to notice after *six months*, wouldn't you say?

Very Happy

Ayyyyyyyy caramba.
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157989 is a reply to message #157978] Sun, 18 January 2009 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Canada
Hi Frank. Can you confirm this hypothesis or tell us it's incorrect - that essentially not one single user who has joined in roughly the last six months seeking tech support has been able to post to this board?

If you can confirm it - has there been any progress on a resolution? For example, has Ilia responded, or have you been able to reach anyone else connected with FUDForum? I'll wait a few days for a response before taking action.
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157990 is a reply to message #157978] Sun, 18 January 2009 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Canada
Hi Frank - I'm sorry if I sound testy about this. I could have launched my forums four months ago if I had been able to ask a single tech support question and got an answer, and I am wasting a *lot* of peoples' time here.

My own actual tech support question which I am trying to register to post is this: I am trying to sync a USENET group to FUDForum, and FUDForum sync breaks when it hits one of five specific posts in the newsgroup.

Those five posts were created years ago with blank subject lines. Apparently FUDForum can't deal with "null" subject lines. So instead of *skipping* those emails or substituting say a single character, FUDForum sync breaks at the point it hits one of those posts and goes into an endless loop, cycling back and re-importing the previous messages again and again.

We have been unable to reach the admin of the USENET group to have him delete the five posts, so that avenue is closed. We can't proceed without working around them; we are *dead in the water* at this point and have been since September (and all following plans that descend from the forums are also stalled until the forums launch).

I have searched the FUDForums to see if anyone else has found a resolution for this, but all I've found is indirect confirmation that the "null subject" bug exists without a resolution posted.

How can we get FUDForum to either *ignore* these five emails or to, say, substitute a single character for the "null" subject on their import? Do you have a suggestion for resolving this - or can you paste my question into the appropriate forum? I obviously won't be able to give feedback on the success/failure of the patch until the registration bug is addressed but I can post feedback on it in here; it's awkward, but that would be a heck of a lot better than my current situation, which is "dead in the water for four months, and with no timeframe for resolution".
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157991 is a reply to message #157989] Sun, 18 January 2009 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Quote:

essentially not one single user who has joined in roughly the last six months seeking tech support has been able to post to this board?

Basically, yes. This user registered on October 10, 2008 and managed to post some messages. That is about 3 month ago! Users lose their appetite if their accounts are not instantly approved.

Quote:

If you can confirm it - has there been any progress on a resolution?

I haven't received a reply yet. However, it looks like users are now approved daily.

Quote:

I'll wait a few days for a response before taking action.

I thought about migrating off FUDforum or forking the code myself (and I might still). However, for now I've decided to try and fix the problems and help Ilia prepare for a next release. Some of my efforts are visible in the change log. It would be great if you and other users can also jump in to help this great project flourish again.
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157992 is a reply to message #157991] Sun, 18 January 2009 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Canada
Hi Frank. I'm glad they're authorizing daily now. But that doesn't seem to be the real issue - note that it would appear that *even confirmed registrants - posters who have been authorized" and show up in the list as "confirmed" (as I do - twice) - aren't posting.

Try it yourself - log out, register a new account, log in and see what happens.
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157993 is a reply to message #157992] Sun, 18 January 2009 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I just did, this is what happened:

1. Registered
2. Try to post -> You have not confirmed your account via e-mail yet
3. Confirmed the mail
4. Try to post again -> Unverified Account. The administrator had chosen to review all accounts manually prior to activation.

So, I guess step 5 is to wait for Ilia to confirm it. Let's give it a couple days to see what happens.

UPDATE: I can see user naudefj2 as confirmed in the user list. So, the problem might be that Ilia never accepts these new accounts.
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157994 is a reply to message #157993] Sun, 18 January 2009 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Canada
naudefj wrote on Sun, 18 January 2009 14:15

UPDATE: I can see user naudefj2 as confirmed in the user list. So, the problem might be that Ilia never accepts these new accounts.

That would be a VERY BIG problem. At that point one might as well publicly announce the software as unsupported/dead.
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157995 is a reply to message #157994] Sun, 18 January 2009 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That is exactly what I'm trying to prevent. To start afresh with a new forum package will be painful. Besides, there's nothing wrong with this one, except that the current custodian seems to be (hopefully temporarily) inactive. I still hope that we can turn it around.
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157996 is a reply to message #157995] Sun, 18 January 2009 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Quote:

How can we get FUDForum to either *ignore* these five emails or to, say, substitute a single character for the "null" subject on their import?

Please apply this patch and let me know if it solves the problem - http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=11823
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #157998 is a reply to message #157996] Mon, 19 January 2009 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   Canada
Whew - and I am finally *registered and able to post* - THANK YOU FRANK!!!
Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #158635 is a reply to message #157902] Mon, 09 March 2009 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simon2341 is currently offline  simon2341
Hello to all

Re: Fudforum Not Working? [message #158636 is a reply to message #158635] Mon, 09 March 2009 06:13 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hi Simon,

Welcome here! Just for the record, all problems discussed above are resolved.

Best regards.

Frank
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: the cost of solar power
Next Topic: test
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu May 16 10:54:40 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02375 seconds