FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » stop people from posting links till they have a certain number of posts
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
stop people from posting links till they have a certain number of posts [message #157949] Fri, 02 January 2009 13:30 Go to next message
helloworld is currently offline  helloworld   India

Many forums actually prevent spam by preventing a user from posting urls till they have a per-determined number of post-counts. How can i achieve this in fudforum?

Is fudforum development actually happening now? Or is this project completely dead?
Re: stop people from posting links till they have a certain number of posts [message #157979 is a reply to message #157949] Thu, 15 January 2009 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
This functionality was committed to CVS.

Here is the patch: http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=11818

Best regards.

Frank
Re: stop people from posting links till they have a certain number of posts [message #158130 is a reply to message #157949] Tue, 03 February 2009 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manuel_fabius is currently offline  manuel_fabius   Haiti
Frank man why would you want to do that?
So how many posts must I have now just to show my website to people?

Best regards
Re: stop people from posting links till they have a certain number of posts [message #158131 is a reply to message #158130] Wed, 04 February 2009 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The default value is 0 (disabled). Sites with spam problems will probably want to enable it.

Fact is that old trusted forum users don't post spam, it's always the new accounts that must be watched. If you don't have time to play police, this setting is for you.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: stop people from posting links till they have a certain number of posts [message #158211 is a reply to message #158131] Tue, 10 February 2009 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
helloworld is currently offline  helloworld   

Really appreciate this Frank. I was on my way to completely dumping fudforum, since we were getting 10-20 spam posts PER DAY. We have an extremely busy technical forum with 200 messages per day.

The problem is of course the links, because of which the spammers don't care if anybody really takes their posts seriously. They just use the forum for link spamming.

As for your patch, i am getting cvs.prohost.org not responding.

Can you tell me when a new version will be available with this patch?

Thanks.
Re: stop people from posting links till they have a certain number of posts [message #158212 is a reply to message #158211] Tue, 10 February 2009 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ilia is busy with server maintenance and he should have it back up within the next couple of hours. After that, he will release FUDforum 2.8.0 RC2. I suggest you upgrade your site to this version. I'm already using it on my site.
Upgraded, but the new option doesn't work. [message #158214 is a reply to message #158212] Tue, 10 February 2009 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Upgraded to 2.8.0 and i found the option and set it to 15. But it doesn't work.

But i was able to make a post even though the post-count was only 3.

Also, people with links in signatures also has to be prevented from posting.

Thanks.
Re: Upgraded, but the new option doesn't work. [message #158215 is a reply to message #158214] Wed, 11 February 2009 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Strange, it's definitely working on my site. Can you possibly PM me your site's details (URL & admin password) so I can investigate?
Re: Upgraded, but the new option doesn't work. [message #158228 is a reply to message #158215] Wed, 11 February 2009 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Here is a screenshot from your site showing that it does indeed word:

index.php?t=getfile&id=5475&private=0
  • Attachment: lxlabs.png
    (Size: 41.40KB, Downloaded 1597 times)
Re: Upgraded, but the new option doesn't work. [message #158230 is a reply to message #158228] Wed, 11 February 2009 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

That is if you use full [[url]] tag while posting, but this is not actually needed.

In fudforum, you need not use the [[url]] tag, to post a link. U can just include a link.

Try posting just a link.

Also, posters with links in signatures also has to be stopped.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 February 2009 18:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upgraded, but the new option doesn't work. [message #158235 is a reply to message #158230] Wed, 11 February 2009 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Here is a patch to check for URLs that is not in [url] tags: http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=11860

Checking signatures will require a completely different approach. I don't have time to do it now, maybe in future.
Re: Upgraded, but the new option doesn't work. [message #158236 is a reply to message #158235] Wed, 11 February 2009 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The signature links should be prevented at the creation of the signature itself.

That is, when a user is creating signature, he should be prevented from adding urls to it, till he has the minimum number of posts. Otherwise, the restriction can be circumvented, by first adding a post without url, and then creating a signature.

It would be easier to code too, to prevent signatures from having urls till the user has min-posts.
Re: Upgraded, but the new option doesn't work. [message #158239 is a reply to message #158235] Wed, 11 February 2009 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Wed, 11 February 2009 15:41
Here is a patch to check for URLs that is not in [url] tags: http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=11860

Checking signatures will require a completely different approach. I don't have time to do it now, maybe in future.

How about a check for https too? Also, where does the save-signature come up?

thanks.
Re: Upgraded, but the new option doesn't work. [message #158266 is a reply to message #158239] Fri, 13 February 2009 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Please test this patch: http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=11863
icon14.gif  Re: stop people from posting links till they have a certain number of posts [message #158268 is a reply to message #157949] Sat, 14 February 2009 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BariyaB is currently offline  BariyaB   Sri Lanka
Many forums actually prevent spam by preventing a user from posting urls till they have a per-determined number of post-counts. How can i achieve this in fudforum?

Is fudforum development actually happening now? Or is this project completely dead?
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Re: stop people from posting links till they have a certain number of posts [message #158269 is a reply to message #158268] Sat, 14 February 2009 05:15 Go to previous message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   Canada
FUDForum appears to be very much alive, in fact. There's a new release candidate dated Feb 11, and several smaller patches written since then. Although developer Ilia has been busy developing php itself, Frank who has taken over the CVS has patched some stuff to help me out within the last couple of days in addition to the work he's doing elsewhere, including in this thread.

Version 2.8 should be along pretty shortly by the looks of it.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 February 2009 05:16]

Report message to a moderator

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: how to implement or install a "captcha"?
Next Topic: Archive all FUDforum listings (not topics)
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:20:38 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03180 seconds