FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Forum Styles » How to create a new theme for your forum
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
How to create a new theme for your forum [message #158046] Wed, 21 January 2009 20:58 Go to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Follow these easy steps to create a unique custom theme for your forum:

1. Change to your forum's /data/thm directory.
cd forum/data/thm

2. Create a new folder for your theme, say "myskin".
mkdir myskin

3. Copy the files you want to change from the default theme directory (please do not copy everything!). For example, if we only need a different CSS file:
mkdir myskin/tmpl
cp default/tmpl/forum.css.tmpl myskin/tmpl/

4. Edit the copied files, and apply your changes. Also, remove all sections ({SECTION:...}) that you haven't changed for your theme.

5. Navigate to your forum's "Admin Control Panel" -> "Theme Manager". Enter your theme's name, say "myskin", select "myskin" as the "Template Set" and select both "Default" and "Enabled". When done, click "Create".

6. Click "Rebuild all Themes" and return to your forum to see the changes.

Good luck!

Frank
Re: How to create a new theme for your forum [message #158164 is a reply to message #158046] Thu, 05 February 2009 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   Canada
Thanks Frank, that simplifies the process considerably.

What if you're using the Path_info version as the default? Same thing, just use that instead? That version doesn't seem to have a forum.css.tmpl - just grab it out of default?
Re: How to create a new theme for your forum [message #158170 is a reply to message #158164] Fri, 06 February 2009 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes, copy the entire PATH_INFO (it is based on DEFAULT) + the files you need to change from DEFAULT.

Typical installations should only have to change forum.css.tmpl, header.tmpl and footer.tmpl.

PS: If you create a fancy new theme, please remember to show it off in the "Forum Styles" and/or "Forum Showcase" forums.

Happy theming!

Frank
Re: How to create a new theme for your forum [message #163439 is a reply to message #158170] Mon, 01 November 2010 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat
What if I want to create a theme using PATH_INFO but based not on the DEFAULT template but LEFT- or RIGHT-SIDED user-info template?

Can I just merge the copied over PATH_INFO (as described above) drawmsg.tmpl & drawpmsg.tmpl with the content of the same files from the LEFT- or RIGHT-SIDED theme? They do seem to contain different sections...

Lady of Avalon
Re: How to create a new theme for your forum [message #163708 is a reply to message #163439] Wed, 24 November 2010 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
PATH_INFO just contains template_name_lnk templates - so you can merge it just fine. Remember to touch ./path_info in the theme dir also before you rebuild the theme to ensure that the database etc is updated correctly to understand it is a path_info theme.

Re: How to create a new theme for your forum [message #166504 is a reply to message #163708] Tue, 03 January 2012 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stanislas is currently offline  Stanislas
On a new skin package work or not?
Re: How to create a new theme for your forum [message #186560 is a reply to message #166504] Wed, 01 October 2014 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpreston is currently offline  cpreston   United States
I'm a bit confused on this. I have a developer that is going to make my own theme, which, as I've mentioned before, I plan to contribute back to the community to be used as the default theme for FUDforum, assuming everyone likes it. I plan on using the PATH_INFO style, but I know you don't use that for the default theme. What should I do to maximize usability of this once it's done?
Re: How to create a new theme for your forum [message #186562 is a reply to message #186560] Thu, 02 October 2014 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   
Administrator
Core Developer
DEFAULT is a full/complete theme, while PATH_INFO is a minimalistic theme that is just overriding the URL portions. A new theme can be any of the above, but minimalistic themes are definitely preferred.
Re: How to create a new theme for your forum [message #186569 is a reply to message #186562] Thu, 02 October 2014 19:05 Go to previous message
cpreston is currently offline  cpreston   United States
This is my understanding and please correct me where I'm wrong:
- If he copies and mods the entire DEFAULT theme, then the minimalistic changes that the path_info and path_info_seo themes (which are based off the default theme) would just work.
- If his mod is based on the path_info_seo template/theme, then it will require work to work those changes back into the default theme if we want to use it.

The important thing is that this theme is going to be a major overhaul. I'm asking for a table-less, W3C-compliant, responsive layout. FF would be only one of two major forums that I can find that have a fully responsive layout. (The other is vbulletin. Go to vbulletin.com/forum and shrink your browser's width as small as you can, and you'll see what I mean. It's totally usable on phones. Do the same with phpbb.com, http://community.invisionpower.com, http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php, or phorum.org and you will see they can't do that. My goal is to have FF be able to be fully responsive and mobile-ready.)

If the dream is to make this the new default template for FF, it seems to me that copying and modifying the DEFAULT theme would be the most appropriate thing to do. Or am I looking at this all wrong?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Simple and clean.
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:46:33 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02276 seconds