FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Forum Styles » Northern lights theme (New experimental theme)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Northern lights theme [message #159416] Mon, 01 June 2009 16:16 Go to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Here is a new experimental theme (template set) for you guys.
http://cvs.prohost.org/images/1/1f/Northern_Lights.jpg

It would be great if you can help with the following:

1. A name for this theme;

2. Suggestions on how we can improve it. In particular, we need someone that can make new button images for it; and

3. You opinion on whether we should include themes like this with FUDforum, or should we rather make them available as separate downloads.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: New experimental theme [message #159426 is a reply to message #159416] Tue, 02 June 2009 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToniCE is currently offline  ToniCE   Germany

naudefj wrote on Mon, 01 June 2009 18:16

3. You opinion on whether we should include themes like this with FUDforum, or should we rather make them available as separate downloads.

My opinion: Themes should made available as seperate downloads. Smile

Greetings
icon6.gif  Re: New experimental theme [message #159457 is a reply to message #159416] Wed, 03 June 2009 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
I don't normally like the dark themes and colors (my eyes are too old) but there is no denying that's sharp looking and distinctive....... And I believe I just happen to have the perfect place and project to use it on! I will E-mail you a link.

As far as including them with FUDforum, I agree with ToniCE that they should be separate downloads much like your FUDforum2Go is a separate download.

But I would go further and make them down loads as components IE. CSS etc rather than just complete themes (which I still have difficulty wrapping my mind around).

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
icon6.gif  Re: New experimental theme [message #159460 is a reply to message #159416] Thu, 04 June 2009 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Mon, 01 June 2009 11:16

It would be great if you can help with the following:

1. A name for this theme;

Northern lights

Re: New experimental theme [message #159468 is a reply to message #159460] Thu, 04 June 2009 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   Canada
I like it (both the theme and your proposed name)!
Re: New experimental theme [message #159535 is a reply to message #159468] Mon, 08 June 2009 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope frank agrees, since I have already begun using it as "northern lights" and as I predicted it's a perfect match for the project (see attached image)

I did make 2 small changes, 1st I replaced forum icons 7 through 12 with something more pertinent to the subject.

And 2nd I added (border: 1px solid #000000;) to the ".CatDesc" portion of the CSS so there would be a border separating the different categories when they were collapsed, rather than them appearing as one large solid block of color.

.CatDesc {
	color: #e0ffe0;
	height: 23px;
	background: url("images/headerbg.png");
	border: 1px solid #000000;
}

Which raises the question of what happened to the + and - icons for expanding and contracting the categories? I am noticing their noticeable absence so far in the two ver 2.8.1 forums I have worked with....... Any ideas?

[Updated on: Mon, 08 June 2009 05:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New experimental theme [message #159536 is a reply to message #159535] Mon, 08 June 2009 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Northern lights is fine with me.

The 1px CatDec border works well - I'll accept it.

Your +/- icons doesn't display because you've somehow removed the following from your site's header:
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/jquery.js"></script>

Re: New experimental theme [message #159540 is a reply to message #159536] Mon, 08 June 2009 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Excellent here is the CSS as I am using it with comments on installation as well as credit and modifications You might want to make sure its accurate, ( I was going to do instructions for installing the entire theme but not exactly sure how I managed, but I will look into it)... Thanks again it looks great!

As for the script for the +/- I will get on that tonight, it would have been changed when I inserted the new header so thanks again.

icon6.gif  Re: Northern lights [message #159548 is a reply to message #159416] Tue, 09 June 2009 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since we seem to be working on themes etc. what are your thoughts on this:

index.php?t=getfile&id=5619&private=0

Re: Northern lights [message #159549 is a reply to message #159548] Tue, 09 June 2009 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   Canada
I tend towards "black text on light background" themes myself for ease of viewing - but that does look very slick!
icon6.gif  Re: Northern lights [message #159550 is a reply to message #159549] Tue, 09 June 2009 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg wrote on Tue, 09 June 2009 15:40
I tend towards "black text on light background" themes myself for ease of viewing - but that does look very slick!

I agree with you, but tend more towards pastel color schemes. Currently I am using the northern lights theme for a game forum so it tends to be dark by its nature, I tried white text but it would not render correctly, and I tried transparent backgrounds but they would not render either.

That example was the last of my trial version attempts, and the best end result, so I am still looking for a program that will do what I want how I want it, once I find it I should be able to make a few complete sets to compliment other preferences, themes, and color schemes.

But for now that works and I am not yet ready to pay their price for it since I am not 100% satisfied with the result even though it does work pretty well.

icon6.gif  Re: Northern lights [message #159551 is a reply to message #159550] Wed, 10 June 2009 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Something More better!

I used a trial version of "Button Maker 4" to make my test "New Topic" button above, and it did a fine job of it, but I was not quite satisfied enough to spend treasure to buy and try the full registered version, I may do so later because it does offer some very nice functions.

So instead I turned to another program I already had a registered copy of, and tried it again with somewhat different though not necessarily better overall results.

I'm calling these "Red-Meteorite" to go along with the theme of the game forum I made them for. I believe all the required forum buttons are included; they are named accurately so it is a simple matter of extracting them from the archive and uploading to your themes image directory overwriting the ones already there (I would recommend saving your old buttons though just in case).

I have tried all 12 of the forum button replacements and they worked just fine for me, but I have not tried the user and rank tags yet.

I will begin tomorrow building 2 more sets besides this one too match the 2 themes frank has already made, so if anyone wants buttons other than the ones included here, post your suggestions and I will try and include them.

index.php?t=getfile&id=5625&private=0

[Updated on: Thu, 11 June 2009 06:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New experimental theme [message #159569 is a reply to message #159536] Thu, 11 June 2009 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Mon, 08 June 2009 01:03

Your +/- icons doesn't display because you've somehow removed the following from your site's header:

It will take some time I guess, I removed my header and replaced it with the default header and still have the same problem. It's not critical right now so I have it on my rather long to do list.

icon6.gif  Re: New experimental theme [message #163832 is a reply to message #159569] Fri, 03 December 2010 11:12 Go to previous message
Thought I had that issue fixed once but it seems to have reoccurred during the upgrades since 2.8.1. to ver 3.0.2.

After reading your response in http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=119702&start=0&

Copied:
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/lib.js"></script>

From default header here and inserted it into the "Northern lights" theme header, and it works again.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: mockup
Next Topic: Fixed width?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:12:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02215 seconds