FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Plugins and Code Hacks » Youtube Plugin Change
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Youtube Plugin Change [message #159682] Tue, 16 June 2009 16:34 Go to next message
nozafc is currently offline  nozafc   United Kingdom
I've modified the Youtube Plugin ever so slightly. The one that comes with the forum requires you to embed only the video ID. Anything after that causes the plugin to fail. This stops the embeding of higher def videos which append &fmt=18/&fmt=16 onto the end of the URL. Having to extract only the VideoID from longer URL's has caused some of my users confusion. This way I can simply say put everything after the v= in the URL in-between the youtube tags

There is probably a better way to handle the Regex than I have done but I'm not that clued up on them but I've tested this and it works

[Updated on: Tue, 16 June 2009 17:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Youtube Plugin Change [message #159683 is a reply to message #159682] Tue, 16 June 2009 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Great idea, however, that regex needs to be tightened. I get cold shivers when I see expressions with (.*) in them.
Re: Youtube Plugin Change [message #159684 is a reply to message #159682] Tue, 16 June 2009 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've updated the zip

It now allows you to put in everything after the v= and it works regardless of any extra parameters in the URL. For some strange reason though it seems when editing/quoting it reverts to just the Video ID which isn't a major problem as the main issue was to make it easier for my users to understand how to embed.
icon6.gif  Re: Youtube Plugin Change [message #159688 is a reply to message #159684] Tue, 16 June 2009 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
Clarify something would you?

I thought that embedding video was a very bad thing and a major security issue, has that changed or is it just an acceptance of what some people want?

I am still of the mind that I prefer to create image links to videos, wherever they are hosted, or in some cases saving the videos to my own server but still using image links to them, most people don't even realize it, and I have had several people ask how I get around the popup blockers.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Youtube Plugin Change [message #159691 is a reply to message #159688] Tue, 16 June 2009 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher wrote on Tue, 16 June 2009 21:02
Clarify something would you?

I thought that embedding video was a very bad thing and a major security issue, has that changed or is it just an acceptance of what some people want?

I am still of the mind that I prefer to create image links to videos, wherever they are hosted, or in some cases saving the videos to my own server but still using image links to them, most people don't even realize it, and I have had several people ask how I get around the popup blockers.

I may be wrong but I think it's safe due to the fact that it need to be put inbetween BBCode tags and you can use regex to control what is input.

Anything put in between the youtube tags is converted to embedded youtube code therefore as far as I am aware there is no easy (if at all) way to exploit this

[Updated on: Tue, 16 June 2009 20:08]

Report message to a moderator

icon6.gif  Re: Youtube Plugin Change [message #159771 is a reply to message #159691] Mon, 22 June 2009 07:54 Go to previous message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
Ok I think I get your point BBCode (FUDcode) is now recognized for video where I don't believe that was available before (I could be wrong) without allowing HTML.

I guess I am still way behind you all and trying to play catch up, but I will pay closer attention to it. I imagine it would be more practical to embed the video within the forum itself, and I know that many users would appreciate it.

Regex On the other hand is way beyond me.

Thanks

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: DailyHaHa Plugin (embeddable games)
Next Topic: Quick Reply
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:45:20 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02186 seconds