FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Plugins and Code Hacks » Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160139] Tue, 28 July 2009 21:18 Go to next message
dfgngirl is currently offline  dfgngirl   United States
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone's been working on a hack or theme that's more smart-phone friendly? (but not that 3-step rss solution on the web - have a private forum, etc.).

Any tips?

Thanks!
Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160143 is a reply to message #160139] Wed, 29 July 2009 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Can you please elaborate on what such a theme should look like? What 3-step RSS solution are you referring to?
Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160145 is a reply to message #160139] Wed, 29 July 2009 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, This is the 3-step process that has been mentioned a lot on the web: http://www.intersquash.com/ which basically makes a web-based rss reader. Since we have private forums, that wouldn't be doable.

Frank, ideally the theme would follow something like this layout: http://demo.iwebkit.net/ - but I can see that might not be practical. So in the interim, perhaps a theme that would only be 480 wide, larger text. finger sized buttons, etc..

But iPhone specific code would be less ideal than being compatible with all of the newer smart phones.

While one can post and read Fud on the iPhone, it's still a bit of a chore scrolling and zooming about all the time.

Thanks for your time.

Karen
icon6.gif  Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160175 is a reply to message #160145] Fri, 31 July 2009 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
If I am understanding you correctly what you are looking for is a minimized forum something along the lines of the mobi domains intended for the newer smart phones. Where everything is resized to accommodate the phone size.

I own 2 such mobi domains, neither of which are in use, I obtained them with the intention of creating just such an application to complement two other full sized domains, but haven't gotten that far yet.

Do you have an Idea of the forum topic/theme or any other info that might help, I'm willing to at least try but I have no way of seeing how it looks. Nor am I familiar with the I phones.

If you could perhaps provide a link to a site/forum that works well with the I phone that Might give me a better idea of what you need.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160185 is a reply to message #160139] Sat, 01 August 2009 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the forums and their software are lagging far behind; I've yet to see a good example myself.
Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160186 is a reply to message #160185] Sat, 01 August 2009 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   Canada
All the more opportunity for us to show 'em how it's done Very Happy

[Updated on: Sat, 01 August 2009 16:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160187 is a reply to message #160186] Sat, 01 August 2009 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey I don't even think the commercial forums have gotten into this; it would be expecting a lot for Fud to implement it. I was just hoping for some work-arounds that might allow for easier viewing/posting, but this seems to be a brand new topic.

But smart phones will be supplanting laptops soon (not replacing, but they will be the main device). The current rounds of smart phones that are out right now will be near the last solo-cpu phones. Next up is dual/quad/and more core cpu with dedicated graphics chipsets.

Here's an example of mobile gmail:

http://jimstips.com/wp-content/uploads/6668b5aa4fmobile.png.png

The archive, delete, and more buttons are on a floating bar that's always handy, and as you can see, everything is optimized for finger use. Also, when you go to the same address on your desktop, you're automatically directed to the desktop version.
Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160188 is a reply to message #160187] Sat, 01 August 2009 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dfgngirl wrote on Sat, 01 August 2009 10:07
I think the forums and their software are lagging far behind; I've yet to see a good example myself.

Ok that's pretty much what I received from elsewhere, no one seems to know, or if they do they are not saying!

dfgngirl wrote on Wed, 29 July 2009 10:05
<-Snip->
but I can see that might not be practical. So in the interim, perhaps a theme that would only be 480 wide, larger text. finger sized buttons, etc..

<-Snip->
While one can post and read Fud on the iPhone, it's still a bit of a chore scrolling and zooming about all the time.

Based on the above information you provided, I put a test site together using a mobi domain and FUD 2.8.1, and spent most of the nite whittling it down in size.

What I ended up with is an itty bitty scrunched up FUDforum that looks kind of stupid on my 22 inch screen. Its still about 602px × 799px in size, and still needs a lot of work. Basically I 'm just shooting in the dark here.

But I believe this is entirely doable! My original idea was to use the mobi domains on a shared database with a regular forum so smart phone users would have access to the same content as regular users albeit in a smaller more streamlined size.

From what I am seeing now there is no difference in the domains other than the name extension, so rather than waste money and effort on additional domains and developing shared databases we could just create a usable theme instead. Those mobi users could select, giving them the option of having both sizes available on note/desktops and on the go.

Unfortunately my skills and knowledge in this area are quite feeble, there are a lot of people here who know more about themes than I do, besides I have no way of testing the actual feel and look of the results on a smart phone itself.

I believe you are right about the commercial forums but many blogs and some hosts seem to be going that direction by making their themes more viewable to phone users (unfortunately at the expense of regular users) and or advertising being Mobi compatable.

icon6.gif  Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160189 is a reply to message #160186] Sat, 01 August 2009 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg wrote on Sat, 01 August 2009 11:38
All the more opportunity for us to show 'em how it's done Very Happy

Agreed! I will reset the test site tonight so it is active and usable, and if you are game we can put our heads together and see what we can come up with.

Interested?

Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160190 is a reply to message #160189] Sat, 01 August 2009 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just wish I had a mobile phone that wasn't a decade old and pay-per-minute - I'm a cellphone Luddite here Sad
icon6.gif  Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160191 is a reply to message #160190] Sat, 01 August 2009 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Having a I-phone would help, but your knowledge and expertise would be more valuable. Like you I have a cell phone, (have only used it about 6 time in last year).

The biggest problem here would be doing the modifications, so far I have worked almost entirely with the CSS, and you certainly have a computer and could advise and supply input, and ideas.

Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160193 is a reply to message #160139] Sun, 02 August 2009 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder how hard it would be for a query string to select a forum theme so that if a mobile client were to come to the forum, the browser would be directed to that theme. But if a desktop user were to visit the same forum, they'd get a desktop version, and javascript could then direct the client to the appropriate theme via a query string.

I found this thread about a vBulletin theme where when you go to this site: http://www.elforro.com/ via the iphone, you're directed to an optimized theme, but similarly with a desktop you go to the right theme. Pretty slick. There are some screen shots here.

(As a total tangent, if I were a programmer, I'd be programming these apps - iPhone and Android. I'm a total cheapskate when it comes to software, and I can't seem to go a month without buying $20 worth of apps. It's crazy.)
icon6.gif  Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160194 is a reply to message #160193] Sun, 02 August 2009 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you get a copy of the CSS? That would tell me a lot, even if it is portugese

Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160195 is a reply to message #160193] Sun, 02 August 2009 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
dfgngirl wrote on Sun, 02 August 2009 07:39
I wonder how hard it would be for a query string to select a forum theme so that if a mobile client were to come to the forum, the browser would be directed to that theme. But if a desktop user were to visit the same forum, they'd get a desktop version, and javascript could then direct the client to the appropriate theme via a query string.

This may help: http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/Theme_router.plugin

Also see discussion at http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=159086
Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160196 is a reply to message #160191] Sun, 02 August 2009 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Witcher wrote on Sat, 01 August 2009 21:10
Having a I-phone would help, but your knowledge and expertise would be more valuable. Like you I have a cell phone, (have only used it about 6 time in last year).

An on-line iPhone Simulator is available at testiphone.com. Here is a screenshot:
index.php?t=getfile&id=5693&private=0
Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160197 is a reply to message #160196] Sun, 02 August 2009 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Sun, 02 August 2009 02:10

An on-line iPhone Simulator is available at testiphone.com.

Thanks bunches! That at least lets me see it, Heck its almost usable!

Now if I just knew what I'm doing!

index.php?t=getfile&id=5694&private=0

Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160198 is a reply to message #160139] Sun, 02 August 2009 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The http://www.testiphone.com/ web app doesn't show http://www.elforro.com/'s mobile page unfortunately.

[Updated on: Sun, 02 August 2009 16:51]

Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160199 is a reply to message #160195] Sun, 02 August 2009 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Sun, 02 August 2009 02:29
This may help: http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/Theme_router.plugin

Also see discussion at http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=159086

Nice.
Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160200 is a reply to message #160139] Sun, 02 August 2009 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK I'm able to get that to work with firefox and This extension:

index.php?t=getfile&id=5695&private=0
  • Attachment: iphoneem.png
    (Size: 130.75KB, Downloaded 1994 times)
Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160201 is a reply to message #160194] Sun, 02 August 2009 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher wrote on Sun, 02 August 2009 02:02
Can you get a copy of the CSS? That would tell me a lot, even if it is portugese

This might be what you're looking for.
Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #160210 is a reply to message #160201] Mon, 03 August 2009 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dfgngirl wrote on Sun, 02 August 2009 12:03
This might be what you're looking for.

That's it exactly! Thanks I couldn't get it because I was redirected.

As I suspected the CSS between the full sized versions and the I phone is not that great, seems the I phone app automatically makes a lot of adjustments to text etc on its own when you log in.

And there are plenty of smart people already working on the automatic app detection thingies.

So far what I am finding is that these themes come 2 ways, like the elforro site you displayed above with virtually all graphics and formatting stripped so it is just a basic text application with a few simple tables.

Or a basic screen similar to what I see on my full sized screen, just smaller and with perhaps a few less graphics.

Using the http://www.testiphone.com/ , I have looked over several sites (blogs and forums), so far FUDforum in portrait mode requires the least amount of scrolling right to left to be usable, and it appears that it would not take much to make it work a lot better.

Using defaults with no custom header, the scrolling is most pronounced in the members page, users control panel, and somewhat less prominent on pg 2&3 when logged in. so it seems some elements on those pages need reduced or at least their widths limited to prevent this.

One thing I have confirmed to my satisfaction is that line 620 or so of the CSS need to have the size of the default headers text name reduced from xx-large to medium other wise it overwhelms the header.

It also seems to aid visibility to reduce the "Message Threshold" in the forum management system to about 500 bytes to 1 Kb

For now the http://thewitcher.mobi test site is still up if any geniuses want to figure out how to make it re size correctly, I have other things that need doing.

Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #163443 is a reply to message #160210] Mon, 01 November 2010 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okidoki, I know that was a very long wait for a response, but I'm now iPhone-4-enabled and ready to crack the books on this one if you're still interested!

Here's some iPhone friendly venues we might want to keep in the back of our heads - MacWorld's forums look particularly elegant to me.

[Updated on: Mon, 01 November 2010 19:38]

Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #164994 is a reply to message #163443] Wed, 13 April 2011 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andy_scouser is currently offline  andy_scouser   United Kingdom
is there any update or progress on this at all please?
Re: Tips for higher iPhone/Andriod/Pre compatibility [message #165001 is a reply to message #164994] Thu, 14 April 2011 16:13 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
None that I'm aware of.
However, it should be fairly easy to create a theme based on jQuery Mobile (http://jquerymobile.com/)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Classes declared multiple times?
Next Topic: Fudla! Plugin Core Code Changes
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 21:10:14 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02895 seconds