FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Sex Spam (What's up with that?)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Sex Spam [message #160851] Mon, 02 November 2009 22:26 Go to next message
DMLHP is currently offline  DMLHP
I just joined this forum recently but have had no activity on it as of yet. Today I get an email from a SEX SPAMMER saying she likes my profile on FUDFORUM.ORG...what's up with that?

D
icon6.gif  Re: Sex Spam [message #160852 is a reply to message #160851] Mon, 02 November 2009 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
DMLHP wrote on Mon, 02 November 2009 16:26
I just joined this forum recently but have had no activity on it as of yet. Today I get an email from a SEX SPAMMER saying she likes my profile on FUDFORUM.ORG...what's up with that?

D

It is being addressed, thanks for letting us know.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Sex Spam [message #160854 is a reply to message #160851] Tue, 03 November 2009 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   
She contacted me too. And here I thought it was true love.

Now I find out she's just a hussy. This makes me very sad.

Very Happy
Re: Sex Spam [message #160856 is a reply to message #160854] Tue, 03 November 2009 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
The good thing is that it happened here. I've disabled the PM system for now. The next release will contain measures to prevent and expose this type of abuse.
icon6.gif  Re: Sex Spam [message #160896 is a reply to message #160856] Thu, 05 November 2009 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of the most important things we can do is keep users informed and knowledgeable and be knowledgeable ourselves!

I am concerned that we sometimes delete or ban legitimate accounts because someone else used a dummy registration and e-mail forwards/auto responders to send spam out while we take the issue all too casually.

A quick look at the member list shows dozens if not hundreds of registrations that I would delete or disable outright! The bottom line is that no matter how much work goes into making FUDforum the most versatile forum software program on the planet if it continues to have a reputation for spam it will hurt!

Re: Sex Spam [message #160897 is a reply to message #160896] Thu, 05 November 2009 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, I trust FUDforum doesn't have such a reputation! Any forum, if left completely unattended, will attract spam over time.

The best defence is to promote all users you trust (or have an interest in your forum's success) moderator access.

PS: The fact that so many users register with dubious accounts just to find there are easier sites to spam actually counts in FUDforum's favour.
icon6.gif  Re: Sex Spam [message #160905 is a reply to message #160897] Fri, 06 November 2009 01:07 Go to previous message
Reputation is entirely relative and will grow or recede in time!

People I have conversed with about FUDforum generally address 5 things:

1. Its virtually unknown by most forum users! (and Admins alike)
2. The support is too technical (not user friendly enough for non-coders or non-power users).
3. It is hard for an amateur to modify and understand (has a drab simple appearance and no easily available themes/modifications)
4. The user base is too small to support a viable community!
5. Spam Link, Link

All of these are already being addressed some how by some one, and all I am saying is that I believe we need to take a more proactive stance against forum spam now rather than a reactive approach later or after the fact!

By "we" I mean those of us who staff or administer forums as well as the users; and it does not matter what software they use!

naudefj wrote on Thu, 05 November 2009 14:28
The best defence is to promote all users you trust (or have an interest in your forum's success) moderator access.

That's one way, but it is dependent on having enough interested and qualified and responsible users and we all know the vast majority of users don't actively participate let alone learn enough to deal with the more complex side of things.

naudefj wrote on Thu, 05 November 2009 14:28
PS: The fact that so many users register with dubious accounts just to find there are easier sites to spam actually counts in FUDforum's favour.

That's one way of looking at it, unfortunately I am much more cynical about the issue for a number of reasons I will try and lay some of them out over at the Guild and see what you think.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Undefined variable: msg_poster_notif
Next Topic: Big BUG report
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 13:33:01 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02162 seconds