FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » General Chit Chat » Comparison of FUD vs phpBB etc (We're looking for some forum software)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Comparison of FUD vs phpBB etc [message #161662] Tue, 26 January 2010 05:37 Go to next message
JeffB is currently offline  JeffB   United States
Hello,

I'm a moderator on a discussion forum which was running vBulletin. It's crashed a number of times and I think the owners are likely to bail on the site.

A number of the mods who have been running the show for several years set up a temporary site which came with phpBB 2.xx software preinstalled.

I personally prefer the threaded view which is not available on phpBB and apparently never will be. That's one advantage it would seem to me with FUD. Are there others? We're in the process of trying to upgrade to the phpBB 3.xx version but maybe we'd be better off with FUD.

Are there any drawbacks with FUD vs. phpBB?

One issue that has caused us problems in the past were drive by spammers and bots. I believe the newer version of phpBB is supposed to stop a lot of that. So is the ability of making the membership list viewable only by members. That will supposedly cut down on folks who just sign up to post a link to their website(s) to help get a little more traffic and perhaps a better listing on rating engines.

Is that hiding of the membership list an option with FUD?

Does the "Captcha" work well in stopping the bots?

Thanks in advance for any help or insights anyone may be able to provide.
Re: Comparison of FUD vs phpBB etc [message #161664 is a reply to message #161662] Tue, 26 January 2010 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
JeffB wrote:
Are there any drawbacks with FUD vs. phpBB?

Besides any obscure features, FUDforum should be able to do anything phpBB can do. If it cannot, I would very much like to know so it can be added to the next release.

JeffB wrote:
Is that hiding of the membership list an option with FUD?

Absolutely, it was added years ago:

Hide user profiles:
If enabled, anonymous and unconfirmed forum members will not be able to view profiles of registered users.

JeffB wrote:
Does the "Captcha" work well in stopping the bots?

On it's own, maybe not, but in conjunction with spambot detection, flood control, etc. you should be OK.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Comparison of FUD vs phpBB etc [message #161672 is a reply to message #161664] Wed, 27 January 2010 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks.

I really like the ability to be able to toggle back and forth between the tree view and the flat view.

It looks like the link button is a lot easier to use than adding a link in the phpB 2.xx version anyway. I usually had to click on the link to go to the bbcode page, copy the code for a link and then paste it in my message, then paste the link and then the text. The phpBB is easy enough if it's just a link, but if you want text that is different than the link several additional steps are needed.

Thanks again!
Thanks a lot for all of your work on this software [message #161754 is a reply to message #161662] Tue, 02 February 2010 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It looks like we'll be converting our older phpBB forum sometime this week.

One of the moderators set up a copy of the FUD Forum software for us in a "sandbox" and copied the database from the other forum for us to play in and experiment with. He did the same for the newest version of phpBB so we could evaluate them side by side.

So far, of the moderators who have responded, they all liked the FUD Forum software better.

As an aside, the guy who set it up for us didn't like the name. He used to work at IBM and FUD stood for a rather unsavory practice of trying to instill "Fear Uncertainty and Doubt" in customers minds if they were to try and switch computer systems to a competitor.

But over all, we are happy so far with the software and like many of the features and things you have done with it. The ability to put icons to the left of the individual forums is another nice touch, btw. It really jazzes up the site and probably helps members navigate a little more quickly to a forum they may be looking for. Or at least that is our hope.

I suppose we'll find out soon enough.
Re: Thanks a lot for all of your work on this software [message #161803 is a reply to message #161754] Sun, 07 February 2010 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   
LOL - yeah, the name has been an occasional topic of debate.

After all three of my phpBB forums were spammed, hacked and flooded to death, I moved them one at a time to FUDforum. I have not had a single solitary spam in a year. You couldn't pay me to go back.

From my end-user's perspective, FUDforum seems *vastly* easier to secure than phpBB. The one drawback back then was that it was harder to set up than phpBB, but with recent updates it's become no-brainer easy.

[Updated on: Sun, 07 February 2010 20:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Comparison of FUD vs phpBB etc [message #164631 is a reply to message #161662] Sun, 20 February 2011 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nisargshah95 is currently offline  nisargshah95   India
I guess I'll go with FUDForum.. Smile
Re: Comparison of FUD vs phpBB etc [message #165510 is a reply to message #164631] Thu, 07 July 2011 21:38 Go to previous message
hashpuff is currently offline  hashpuff
Are there any drawbacks with FUD vs. phpBB? i have encountered problem lately about this issue
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Is this a joke?
Next Topic: new here
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:01:38 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02356 seconds