FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Linking to another post within a thread? (Is it possible to link a reply?)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Linking to another post within a thread? [message #161992] Sat, 06 March 2010 17:57 Go to next message
pwerkso is currently offline  pwerkso
Is it possible to link another user's post within the same thread?

For example, if I replied to this thread 2 times, can I edit this post and insert links to both replies?

[Updated on: Sat, 06 March 2010 18:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Linking to another post within a thread? [message #161997 is a reply to message #161992] Mon, 08 March 2010 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Sorry, I don't understand. Can you please rephrase/ provide more info?
Re: Linking to another post within a thread? [message #162136 is a reply to message #161997] Wed, 24 March 2010 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pwerkso is currently offline  pwerkso   Australia
naudefj wrote on Sun, 07 March 2010 22:44
Sorry, I don't understand. Can you please rephrase/ provide more info?

I apologize for not being more clear, and for not clarifying quicker.

If I wanted to make a hyperlink to your post (as in, the reply you made to me), so I can insert that hyperlink into MY post, how would I do it?

In other words, I want it so when people click on a specific link in MY post, I would like it to take them to YOUR post within the same exact thread.

I've tried this and so far it does not take me to the specified post. It only takes me to the original post, but I want it to direct the user to one specific post.

I hope that makes more sense

icon6.gif  Re: Linking to another post within a thread? [message #162200 is a reply to message #162136] Fri, 02 April 2010 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
Right click on the message # (just to the right of the msg/post title) and click "copy link location" , paste that to your post or within BBcode tags and walla!

As in naudefj's reply #161997 to your original post

[url=http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=119178&goto=161997&#msg_161997][color=red]naudefj's reply #161997 to your original post[/color][/url]

Usually you are better off just replying to the specific post made and letting users use the "message reply to" link already provided if it is enabled that is.

Does that answer your question?

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Linking to another post within a thread? [message #162206 is a reply to message #162200] Mon, 05 April 2010 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher wrote on Fri, 02 April 2010 04:47
Right click on the message # (just to the right of the msg/post title) and click "copy link location" , paste that to your post or within BBcode tags and walla!

:snip:

Does that answer your question?

Yes and no actually. For some reason, the forum I am posting on doesn't have a hyperlink for the message number. I took a screenshot to elaborate more:
index.php?t=getfile&id=5955&private=0

Is this just because how the forum is set up? Can I work around this? Thanks for your help by the way Smile
  • Attachment: untitled1.JPG
    (Size: 26.63KB, Downloaded 1400 times)
Re: Linking to another post within a thread? [message #162207 is a reply to message #162206] Mon, 05 April 2010 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pwerkso wrote on Sun, 04 April 2010 19:55
Is this just because how the forum is set up? Can I work around this? Thanks for your help by the way Smile

Curious isn't it!

Not being able to see the whole page, or work with it the best I can do is an educated guess that msg #9939 may have been part of another forum/topic which has been moved or merged to its current location from somewhere you don't have access or permissions to or perhaps it originates from an XML feed and don't show.

But don't quote me on that it's only a guess!!!

So where does #9901 take you? See if it tells you that you don't have permissions to post there!

I did try to replicate what your image shows without success though; I also looked around without finding anything similar.

What I do know is that there are a lot of quirks (for lack of a better word) inherent in most forum software which have various effects the average user don't always understand, such as multiple forum installations using the same database or different combinations of default setting and permissions for various users, or even minor modifications made by the Admins.

Perhaps you could ask the forums admin or moderators, or you could email me the forums URL and I could look see, beyond that I am at a loss as to why this is.

But I do love a good mystery, it's what I live for and it's so satisfying when you finally find the answer.

Let us know what you find and I will keep an eye open.

Re: Linking to another post within a thread? [message #162210 is a reply to message #162207] Tue, 06 April 2010 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher wrote on Mon, 05 April 2010 11:07
pwerkso wrote on Sun, 04 April 2010 19:55

Curious isn't it!

Not being able to see the whole page, or work with it the best I can do is an educated guess that msg #9939 may have been part of another forum/topic which has been moved or merged to its current location from somewhere you don't have access or permissions to or perhaps it originates from an XML feed and don't show.

But don't quote me on that it's only a guess!!!

So where does #9901 take you? See if it tells you that you don't have permissions to post there!

I did try to replicate what your image shows without success though; I also looked around without finding anything similar.

What I do know is that there are a lot of quirks (for lack of a better word) inherent in most forum software which have various effects the average user don't always understand, such as multiple forum installations using the same database or different combinations of default setting and permissions for various users, or even minor modifications made by the Admins.

Perhaps you could ask the forums admin or moderators, or you could email me the forums URL and I could look see, beyond that I am at a loss as to why this is.

But I do love a good mystery, it's what I live for and it's so satisfying when you finally find the answer.

Let us know what you find and I will keep an eye open.

Interestingly enough, all of the "is a reply to message ######" hyperlinks in the thread all take you back to the original post, regardless of the number it says it's replying to! It doesn't give me an error saying I do not have permissions or anything. I will PM you the link right now. Let me know if you figure out anything. I will also ask the board admins. Thanks again!

Edit: As I've indicated in the e-mail, I am mistaken. All the "is a reply to #####" links do not take you to the original posters, but to the top of the page instead (which on page 1, does happen to be the original poster).

[Updated on: Tue, 06 April 2010 17:58]

icon6.gif  Re: Linking to another post within a thread? [message #162213 is a reply to message #162210] Wed, 07 April 2010 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pwerkso wrote on Tue, 06 April 2010 12:50
Interestingly enough, all of the "is a reply to message ######" hyperlinks in the thread all take you back to the original post, regardless of the number it says it's replying to! It doesn't give me an error saying I do not have permissions or anything. I will PM you the link right now. Let me know if you figure out anything. I will also ask the board admins. Thanks again!

Edit: As I've indicated in the e-mail, I am mistaken. All the "is a reply to #####" links do not take you to the original posters, but to the top of the page instead (which on page 1, does happen to be the original poster).

Unfortunately I have received NO email! And nothing's in my spam filters except spam!

Try posting your link here: http://forumguild.info/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=19&rid=2&S= 7dca79d0ee243ed83ad7cfd312672c82

It's a moderated FAQ forum (naudefj and I are the only moderators for it) and you may post anonymously so it must go through he and or I before being visible to others.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 November 2010 14:14]

Re: Linking to another post within a thread? [message #162214 is a reply to message #162213] Wed, 07 April 2010 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher wrote on Wed, 07 April 2010 00:57
pwerkso wrote on Tue, 06 April 2010 12:50

Unfortunately I have received NO email! And nothing's in my spam filters except spam!

:snip:

It's a moderated FAQ forum (naudefj and I are the only moderators for it) and you may post anonymously so it must go through he and or I before being visible to others.

Weird! I have posted on there with the link Smile I hope it's nothing to do with my browser, or else I'll just feel silly Razz
icon6.gif  Re: Linking to another post within a thread? [message #162219 is a reply to message #162214] Wed, 07 April 2010 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The forum you referred me to is a 'FUDforum" installed in a sub domain of another website installation (using a different software platform of an unknown type, perhaps "front page").

It is apparent that these are primarily Members only forums, so I am reasonably certain that the forum software has been modified/set to have all public beginners posts pointed to the OP, which would appear to be a topic/msg which has been moved/split from elsewhere. It is highly likely you simply do not have permissions to access those sources even as a registered member.

So since it appears that the forum has been adapted so as not to allow links to individual posts, just to the topic until the user advances upwards. You can get around that somewhat by quoting the msg # your reply is to, and or a full quote.

The beginning forum is a portal, and beyond that you must be a member to even read most of the forums, yet as a beginner or anonymous users you can still see some but not read them.

Bottom line is that it appears the Administrators have gone to some length to provide a secure forum for its users..... Work with them!

The current administrator apparently did not start the Forum but inherited it from another so they may not even know or remember how it was modified. However they appeared to be open to ideas and questions.

The anonymous post you made at the guild was deleted after I got the link, since it was not pertinent, being just a quick way of getting the link to me. I used Firefox and IE with identical results so it is not your browser.

My message #162200 still applies to forums with more standard configurations/setups, and may work for you later after you have advanced further.

Hope that helps.

Re: Linking to another post within a thread? [message #162223 is a reply to message #162219] Fri, 09 April 2010 13:28 Go to previous message
The Witcher wrote on Wed, 07 April 2010 10:30
The forum you referred me to is a 'FUDforum" installed in a sub domain of another website installation (using a different software platform of an unknown type, perhaps "front page").

It is apparent that these are primarily Members only forums, so I am reasonably certain that the forum software has been modified/set to have all public beginners posts pointed to the OP, which would appear to be a topic/msg which has been moved/split from elsewhere. It is highly likely you simply do not have permissions to access those sources even as a registered member.

So since it appears that the forum has been adapted so as not to allow links to individual posts, just to the topic until the user advances upwards. You can get around that somewhat by quoting the msg # your reply is to, and or a full quote.

The beginning forum is a portal, and beyond that you must be a member to even read most of the forums, yet as a beginner or anonymous users you can still see some but not read them.

Bottom line is that it appears the Administrators have gone to some length to provide a secure forum for its users..... Work with them!

The current administrator apparently did not start the Forum but inherited it from another so they may not even know or remember how it was modified. However they appeared to be open to ideas and questions.

The anonymous post you made at the guild was deleted after I got the link, since it was not pertinent, being just a quick way of getting the link to me. I used Firefox and IE with identical results so it is not your browser.

My message #162200 still applies to forums with more standard configurations/setups, and may work for you later after you have advanced further.

Hope that helps.

I think I understand a lot more clearly now! Thanks so much for your time and effort, it is truly appreciated!! You're amazing! Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Trouble implementing XML Aggregation
Next Topic: Can forum be set up to disallow sig lines until XX number of posts (or mod approval)?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:34:21 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02823 seconds