FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Announcements » Wiki upgrade and preparing for the next release
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Wiki upgrade and preparing for the next release [message #162841] Sat, 07 August 2010 11:30 Go to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Just a quick announcement to let everyone know that the wiki was upgraded. The main benefit is that the search function is now working as it should. Please head over and give it a go.

Progress with the next release is available at FUDforum_3.0.2. We want to encourage everyone to jump in and help us to make it the best release ever. Here are some ideas:

* We desperately need people that know something about design and usability to help us improve the forum's themes. We offer mean features and great scalability, but new users often only judge forums on eye candy.

* Developers can checkout the latest version of the code from SVN and help us to develop new features and prepare patches.

* Please check if your language is fully translated.

* Help us to proofread and update the documentation on the wiki. We especially need people who can upload (partial) screenshots to demonstrate the various forum features. Maybe even create a YouTube video or two to demonstrate installation and other features.

* Offer a bounty to encourage users to improve certain aspects of the forum.

PS: There is not much happening here on the forum lately. I think we should also introduce some nasty bugs into the next release. At least we will have something to talk about Smile

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Wiki upgrade and preparing for the next release [message #162893 is a reply to message #162841] Wed, 25 August 2010 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
Why not talk about impossibility to install with detect_unicode ON & without ability to turn it off (not my server).
Pretty nasty bug as to me! I can help with screenshots & useability but I need to have it installed first.
Please don't make me break my loyalty to the FUDforum (& I always advertise it's the best open source forum around!) and help me get it running. Will you? >>> message #162891

Lady of Avalon
Re: Wiki upgrade and preparing for the next release [message #162894 is a reply to message #162893] Wed, 25 August 2010 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The PHP team introduced that crappy setting - which they are now busy removing again. However, I do understand that some users (although a very small minority) may be trapped with hosting provides that don't understand that it's better to switch if off, or at least allow their customers to do so.

Anyway, if you would invest some of your time (or money) to help us improve the product, I would certainly be willing to change the installer to bypass this problem.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Wiki upgrade and preparing for the next release [message #162895 is a reply to message #162894] Wed, 25 August 2010 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Frank!

My hoster regularly upgrades PHP but there is no telling when the PHP team will deprecate this setting!

Anyway, I am willing to invest my time into helping to develop this forum, even if I didn't need any extra help Smile Just if I can use it for our portal again.

I have been useful in a few minor things in the past such as code to pull last messages to an external page or initial DHTML coding for the collapsible spoiler tag (I think Ilia was around at that time). I stopped using a forum at all somewhere at FUD version 2.62 and come back only now for another project. Tried to look around but still nothing better or as good offered!

I will check Russian translation, make new smilies (those ones are really ugly) and usability suggestions will come after using it live. Will also make a clean dark theme for our portal with left-sided user-info (which you probably don't need, I remember arguments when the new layout has been introduced), parts of which could be used to enrich this (I will clip those part for you if any of them needed). You might not like some of my suggestions, coz to make it more popular you need a new name (discussed years ago enough, I know you don't want it) and a new look! Not a gray one Wink Not a black one either for sure just something more lively. We can discuss this later if you'd be willing to listen. I can make design suggestions and actual designs.

So let me know if I should have a full dev version (not FUDforum2Go but real MySQL connected one?) installed at my home PC?
And what can I do to help you help me get this installed at my hoster's for starters?

P.S. Usability suggestion #1: The REPLY button UNDER quick reply form is a real trap I already fell for twice! Better move that above the quick reply form to not get confused since I think I'm sending in the quick reply but get a blank reply page instead and when I come back even Firefox doesn't keep my previously entered text as on some forums. Small thing but could really annoy lots of folks!

Lady of Avalon
Re: Wiki upgrade and preparing for the next release [message #162896 is a reply to message #162895] Fri, 27 August 2010 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I also want to try to integrate FUDforum with Coppermine Photo Gallery. They have a Bridge hook allowing to use another application's user management.

If I succeed & it could make it to Coppermine's core bridging scripts, it would provide for easy integration, which is a must, and also put your software in the list of other popular BBS etc. Both good for promotion.

This is probably something I should do first since integration after adding content will create problems. So I'm really hoping I can get FUDforum up & running soon since the Gallery is already up!

Lady of Avalon
Re: Wiki upgrade and preparing for the next release [message #162902 is a reply to message #162896] Fri, 27 August 2010 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
In that case we need to get you up and running ASAP. Just a couple of notes:

- I really don't care about the forum's name. You are welcome to suggest a new name. If the community supports it, we can call it whatever you like.
- FUDforum ships with special themes that will display the user info to the left or right.
- The Russian translation is currently 100% up to date.
- New smiles and themes would, however, be greatly appreciated.
- Coppermine integrations would also be great!

We can continue the discussion in a more appropriate thread.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Wiki upgrade and preparing for the next release [message #163343 is a reply to message #162902] Tue, 19 October 2010 20:39 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
The stage it set for a FUDforum 3.0.2RC1 release this coming weekend.

Changes are listed at FUDforum 3.0.2.

Please head over to translewiki to ensure your language is fully translated.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: FUDforum 3.0.1 released
Next Topic: FUDforum 3.0.2RC1 released
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:20:15 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02201 seconds