FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » A couple of suggestions to make the posts imported from MLs more readable
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
A couple of suggestions to make the posts imported from MLs more readable [message #163154] Sun, 03 October 2010 12:45 Go to next message
tux99   Switzerland
Since I have started using FUDforum as a ML<>Forum gateway I have found the following two things that would make the experience even better for Forum users:

1) When an email imported from a ML contains quoted text (I mean text where the line begins with '>' or '> >' or '>>' etc.) it would be nice if this text was displayed in a different colour, like many email programs do.
Maybe this could be an admin or even user controlled setting.

2) In order to avoid forum users polluting the ML with BBcode tags and HTML, I have switched both HTML and BBcode off in the sub-forums that are ML imports.
Unfortunately this also means that all URLs are not clickable anymore, it would be great if the URLs where still clickable even with BBcode and HTML switched off.

Re: A couple of suggestions to make the posts imported from MLs more readable [message #163189 is a reply to message #163154] Wed, 06 October 2010 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tux99   Switzerland
Can anyone suggest which files I would have to modify to integrate on-the-fly colour highlighting of lines starting with '>' and making URLs clickable even when html and BBcode is off?

I would like to attempt to add this (I have no PHP experience but I do have perl/shell scripting experience so I might just get by), but I'm struggling to find where to add this, the codebase is confusing for a newbie like me... Smile
Re: A couple of suggestions to make the posts imported from MLs more readable [message #163195 is a reply to message #163189] Wed, 06 October 2010 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum doesn't have on-the-fly formatting.
To optimize performance, we convert everything to HTML up-front (even BBcode) and store it.
Rendering will simply stream output from the message files/database to the user's browser.

So, you basically need to format it as mail gets imported.
I would start by adding an IMPORT_MAIL hook to maillist.php and then code a plugin against it to format the quotes.
Re: A couple of suggestions to make the posts imported from MLs more readable [message #164068 is a reply to message #163195] Sun, 02 January 2011 16:58 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Here is a patch for colour highlighting of lines starting with '>':
http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/fudforum?view=revision&revis ion=5094
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Websites Using Fudforum
Next Topic: Assign search engines a username
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 25 09:34:25 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02913 seconds