FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » Test Forum » Why the *&#$@ can I not post
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Why the *&#$@ can I not post [message #163467] Wed, 03 November 2010 01:30 Go to next message
newbit is currently offline  newbit   China
Every time I try to post, it doesn't work.

[Edit]Obscene language removed.
icon6.gif  Re: why the *&#$@ can I not post [message #163469 is a reply to message #163467] Wed, 03 November 2010 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
Posts were awaiting moderation.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"

[Updated on: Wed, 03 November 2010 01:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: why the *&#$@ can I not post [message #163473 is a reply to message #163469] Wed, 03 November 2010 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. Why could I post now? WTF? If I'm being moderated, then why can I see this?

2. The error message said nothing about moderation. I got another message, which said something unrelated. WTF?
icon6.gif  Re: why the *&#$@ can I not post [message #163474 is a reply to message #163473] Wed, 03 November 2010 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newbit wrote on Tue, 02 November 2010 22:00
1. Why could I post now? WTF?

Don't know, but I assume that the Admin has set this Forum so that a users first few posts are moderated to prevent spam etc.
If I'm being moderated, then why can I see this?

Again I Don't know, but I believe the default is 5 posts.
2. The error message said nothing about moderation. I got another message, which said something unrelated. WTF?

Error Message?
When I approved the adding Google analytics post, I included my responce.

Re: why the *&#$@ can I not post [message #163479 is a reply to message #163474] Wed, 03 November 2010 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
Yeah, there needs to be a warning when your post is added to moderation queue or something. Whoever created the moderation code should have done this. naaauudddjjeeeeeffff!!!!

Re: why the *&#$@ can I not post [message #163494 is a reply to message #163479] Wed, 03 November 2010 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Yea, it's a known bug in 3.0.1.
See http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fudforum/changeset/4956
Fix wasn't applied to this forum.
Re: why the *&#$@ can I not post [message #163508 is a reply to message #163494] Thu, 04 November 2010 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just got this email...huh? It's in some other language?

http://ningboforums.com/Untitled-2.jpg
Re: why the *&#$@ can I not post [message #163510 is a reply to message #163508] Thu, 04 November 2010 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yea, we are not all English you know Wink
Re: why the *&#$@ can I not post [message #163511 is a reply to message #163510] Thu, 04 November 2010 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, as my user preferences are set to en, I thought the system would use that when sending me email. Instead, it used the preferences of the user that posted a response. In addition, the date was in English instead of the foreign language. Odd. My forum will definitely be multi-language including Chinese characters.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 November 2010 05:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: why the *&#$@ can I not post [message #163512 is a reply to message #163511] Thu, 04 November 2010 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I won't mind getting a message with some Chinese text in it. It kind of makes it interesting.
However, I do believe that some unstuck Englishmen might not like it. So, who cares? Let them write a patch for it.
Re: why the *&#$@ can I not post [message #163516 is a reply to message #163512] Thu, 04 November 2010 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
Hahaha, good answer!

Re: why the *&#$@ can I not post [message #163700 is a reply to message #163516] Wed, 24 November 2010 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tw_nick   United States

I certainly appreciate the value of having contributors and participants that represent a wide variety of people groups and ethnicities, and I realize this require language support to be broad. It's that kind of code development effort that makes this the best forum software solution I've found! Nevertheless, we need to consider the aversion to risk that is generally required in society today, which might preclude someone from opening a link (or an e-mail) that is in a language other than their own. I'll admit here, as I have elsewhere, that I'm an engineer and not a coder, so I have no idea what degree of difficulty it would entail to make this change. Nevertheless, I'll suggest it and let you who are smarter than I address it...

It seems to me that an e-mail alert sent to me, as a subscriber to a forum, would be delivered to me in the language that I indicated was my own in my profile preferences. For me, if it weren't obvious, that's English. However, when replies are posted to my submissions from users with other language preferences, my e-mail alert appears to come formatted in the language of the responder. Now, I'm not speaking about the content of their post -- the forum obviously isn't responsible for translating the posts themselves. I'm referring to the structure and formatting of the e-mail alert. For example, naudefj responded to one today, and the e-mail included "Onderwerp," "Van," and "Datum" instead of subject, from and date.

As a participant, I would hope that e-mails sent to me from the system would all be structured at least in a language I'm familiar with. (Fortunately, in this case with naudefj, I've done quite a bit of missionary work in South Africa.) Razz
Re: why the *&#$@ can I not post [message #163701 is a reply to message #163700] Wed, 24 November 2010 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hah, I'm starting to really enjoy this discussion Smile

PS: It's probably not that difficult to fix. However, please don't look at me.
icon6.gif  Re: why the *&#$@ can I not post [message #163703 is a reply to message #163700] Wed, 24 November 2010 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True that can be disconcerting at times, but alas it is not an issue that has been resolved yet!

Suffice it to say that all the languages are in the same place despite the users selected language when you are familiar with them it's quite easy to recognize them for what they are.

In most forums the users will use the same language so this should not be an issue normally, and there have been discussions about making automatic language conversions both in the selected language and translating the posts themselves.

For the most part though this is not a major problem, you will see it here more often than elsewhere because of the vast number of users from different countries.... Just look at the "Show what people are doing" some times and you will see.

Re: why the *&#$@ can I not post [message #163704 is a reply to message #163703] Wed, 24 November 2010 16:53 Go to previous message
tw_nick   United States

I would just like to see it addressed at some point in the future.

Please.
Por favor.
Asseblief.
Bitte.
S'il vous plaît.
Bevakasha
Itfaddelu.
Værsgo.
Kudasai.
Vær så snill.
Balii.
Poprosze.