FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Condensed Categories displaying "opened" when clicked
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Condensed Categories displaying "opened" when clicked [message #163845] Sat, 04 December 2010 23:23 Go to next message
wittrs is currently offline  wittrs   United States
Hi Frank.

Please don't feel the need to bother yourself with my constant ideas. I just wanted to deposit them here in the event you could find them helpful for the future.

One of the things that would be nice is if collapsed categories would display "open" when a user clicked the category name on page 1.

As it is now, pressing this:

http://seanwilson.org/temp1.png

Gives me this:

http://seanwilson.org/temp2.png

It doesn't seem all that helpful to press the category name if nothing really changes. The reason why I offer this insight is because I am thinking of new ways that I am going to use fudforum. I think that if the category and forum system is doctored a bit, I could use the software to archive anything -- my blogs, my course content, anything.

Anyway, yours still dreaming.
Re: Condensed Categories displaying "opened" when clicked [message #163850 is a reply to message #163845] Sun, 05 December 2010 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Great idea! Can you please test this patch for us?
http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=5086&view=rev
Re: Condensed Categories displaying "opened" when clicked [message #163863 is a reply to message #163845] Sun, 05 December 2010 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wittrs is currently offline  wittrs   
Hi Frank.

I don't know what to do with the file. It appears to be an index.php file that has the designation "t" at the end. I uploaded the file into the directory on my website where index.php is. Is that all I have to do? How do I get it to work?

Thanks and regards.
Re: Condensed Categories displaying "opened" when clicked [message #163864 is a reply to message #163863] Sun, 05 December 2010 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes, upload, rebuild and test.
Re: Condensed Categories displaying "opened" when clicked [message #163865 is a reply to message #163845] Sun, 05 December 2010 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... here is what I have done so far. I uploaded index.php.t in the same directory as index.php. I logged in and ran the forum consistency thing. I then clckced the condensed directory, and nothing changed (still condensed). So I tried running index.php.t directly from the browser window and got an error message.

I think the problem may be that I don't know how to "rebuild," as your last message says. What am I doing wrong?
Re: Condensed Categories displaying "opened" when clicked [message #163866 is a reply to message #163865] Sun, 05 December 2010 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You need to go to the Theme Manager and rebuild your themes.

Tip: If you upload the file with the forum's File Manager it will tell you what to do next Rolling Eyes
Re: Condensed Categories displaying "opened" when clicked [message #163867 is a reply to message #163845] Sun, 05 December 2010 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wittrs is currently offline  wittrs   United States
... sorry to be taking up so much of your time, Frank.

I remain, it seems, a complete imbecile. I rebuilt all the themes, yet nothing happened when I clicked the condensed directory (still condensed). I then tried to run the php.t from the browser, and received an error message. (For simplicity, let's call these steps -- rebuilding, clicking, and running from broswer -- MANEUVERS).

I then deleted the php.t and tried re-uploading with the file manager. I once again put it in the same directory as index.php (the web directory). I did not notice that it told me to do anything further.So I tried MANEUVERS. No change.

I did notice, however, that the php.t file permissions seemed different compared to other php files. So I made those match as well, and tried MANEUVERS. Still no change.

I must be doing something wrong. Something elementary. It seems even from the vantage point of a fool like myself, that the file php.t isn't getting "called" or something.

BTW, I also tried MANEUVERS on the default theme. I wanted to make sure my custom theme didn't rip out any of the wiring that it shouldn't have.

Once again, I do appreciate all of your help.
Re: Condensed Categories displaying "opened" when clicked [message #163870 is a reply to message #163867] Mon, 06 December 2010 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You need to upload it to the FORUM_DATA/src directory (the only directory that contains files of this type).
Re: Condensed Categories displaying "opened" when clicked [message #163873 is a reply to message #163845] Mon, 06 December 2010 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... it works, it works!!!

Victory! Laughing

Thanks for both your help and your script!
Re: Condensed Categories displaying "opened" when clicked [message #164242 is a reply to message #163850] Thu, 13 January 2011 16:19 Go to previous message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
naudefj wrote on Sun, 05 December 2010 00:48
Great idea! Can you please test this patch for us?
http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=5086&view=rev

I added this to one of my forums for a local countywide area, and used it to add some of the smaller township, towns and villages so they could have their own smaller section of the forum for their peculiar uses.

Looks like it might be useful.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Feature Requests for logs
Next Topic: Recovering Database After Botched Upgrade
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:36:57 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02555 seconds