FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Messages corrupted after importing from files
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Messages corrupted after importing from files [message #163972] Sun, 19 December 2010 16:12 Go to next message
_Eric_ is currently offline  _Eric_   Netherlands
My friend decided to switch providers and thought that copying all the files of his forum would be enough to restore the forum in a new installation. When this didn't work, he asked me for help. Luckily, I could save the database from a backup from his old provider.

In short, I have a download of the MySQL database and the files from the "messages" folder. I did a fresh installation of FUD 2.6 (the version he was using), imported the database through PhpMyAdmin and uploaded the message files. This worked quite well, except all the messages seem to be missing their first few characters (four or five I think). Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks!
icon6.gif  Re: Messages corrupted after importing from files [message #163973 is a reply to message #163972] Sun, 19 December 2010 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
I'd be happy to hear details about how to transfer files as you described, as for your problem I don't have a solution!

I assume you have already ran a consistency check and rebuilt your themes, so beyond that I can't help and I don't believe I've seen or heard of such a problem before.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Messages corrupted after importing from files [message #163974 is a reply to message #163973] Sun, 19 December 2010 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes, the files must be transferred in binary mode. Also ensure that no BOM markers were added.

You may also want to read "All my messages are empty, what is wrong?" in the FAQ for instructions on how to trace the message path.
Re: Messages corrupted after importing from files [message #163982 is a reply to message #163974] Mon, 20 December 2010 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
_Eric_ is currently offline  _Eric_   Netherlands
Both of you, thanks for your advice!

I finally got it fixed. When my friend backed up his files, he transferred the message files in ASCII mode. I removed all the extra line breaks this produces and uploaded the message files in binary mode. Now everything's fine! Thanks for the tip Naudefj!

By the way, I was mistaken that all the messages were missing their first characters. It just seemed that way, while actually all the messages were just showing wrong parts of the message files.
Re: Messages corrupted after importing from files [message #163983 is a reply to message #163982] Mon, 20 December 2010 14:59 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Excellent!
Now you just need to upgrade to FUDforum 3.0.0 and then to FUDforum 3.0.2 to enjoy the latest features and fixes.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Default login
Next Topic: Parse error
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 24 10:54:31 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02797 seconds