FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Announcements » Plugin Writing Contest (Win great prizes!)  () 2 Votes
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Plugin Writing Contest [message #164380] Wed, 02 February 2011 10:04 Go to next message
jm2morri is currently offline  jm2morri   
Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that my company Stratford Digital is sponsoring a FUDforum plugin writing contest. This contest is open to anyone who wants to participate. The rules are:

Prizes
  • 1st prize - $150US
  • 2nd prize - $100US
  • 3rd prize - $50US

Deadline
  • Submissions must be received by Frank (user naudefj) via email with a timestamp no later than 23:59:59 April 30, 2011

Judging
  • Frank (user naudefj) will be the sole judge of the submissions
  • his decision is final and binding

Payment
  • PayPal will be the only payment method used
  • payment will be made in $US and may be converted into local currency by PayPal
  • we will not send cash, cheques, money order, wire transfer or any other payment method other than PayPal

By submitting an entry into this contest you agree to these rules.

Good luck to everyone!

James.
Re: Plugin Writing Contest [message #164381 is a reply to message #164380] Wed, 02 February 2011 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Thanks James! Some additional rules to take note of:

1. All code submitted must be GPL licensed (we may want to include them in the upcoming FUDforum 3.0.3 release).
2. Contestants must please document their plugins on the wiki.

Information about writing plugins can be found on the wiki. Please ask if you need more details or plugin ideas. We are here to help you succeed.

Best regards.

Frank
icon14.gif  Re: Plugin Writing Contest [message #164382 is a reply to message #164380] Wed, 02 February 2011 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
Now that sounds like most excellent idea! Let's post this on all our forums for the widest possible distribution

Here's what I'm posting (Modified to work on forums without the wiki plug-in enabled):

Quote:
FUDforum Plug-in writing contest
Stratford Digital is sponsoring a FUDforum plugin writing contest. This contest is open to anyone who wants to participate. Full contest rules and prize list can be found HERE

Heres the copy paste code:
[url=http://www.stratforddigital.ca/]Stratford Digital[/url] is sponsoring a [url=http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/plugin]FUDforum plugin[/url] writing contest.  This contest is open to anyone who wants to participate.  Full contest rules and prize list can be found [url=http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=119834&start=0&]HERE[/url]

Anything else we can do to make this a resounding success?

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Plugin Writing Contest [message #164683 is a reply to message #164382] Sat, 26 February 2011 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I'm just curious if anyone plans on entering the competition?
If not, and you can code, I would very much like to understand why not.
On the other hand, if you just need ideas or assistance to get started, please shout so we can point you in the right direction.
Re: Plugin Writing Contest [message #164688 is a reply to message #164683] Sun, 27 February 2011 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trepstrer is currently offline  trepstrer   
I wanted to write a plugin for adding a karma feature per user. However as I understand, current plugin architecture allows changes only during template compilation. And for my plugin it requires also some javascript (AJAX) stuff and that's beyond current plugin capabilities. I'll write a patch probably.
Re: Plugin Writing Contest [message #164689 is a reply to message #164683] Sun, 27 February 2011 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
naudefj wrote on Sat, 26 February 2011 10:50
I'm just curious if anyone plans on entering the competition?
If not, and you can code, I would very much like to understand why not.
On the other hand, if you just need ideas or assistance to get started, please shout so we can point you in the right direction.

I have read a few responses where people intended to participate but like many things there is little visible action. Perhaps we should come out with suggestions for plug-ins we would like to see made available.

Personally I would like to see more available video imbeds perhaps a six pack of plugins for some of the more obscure video hosts, how about a plug-in allowing the addition of a slide show of photographs, Perhaps one for inserting random Jokes or quotes into posts or signatures (is such a thing even available?), how about one to add various news tickers... any other ideas.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Plugin Writing Contest [message #164701 is a reply to message #164688] Wed, 02 March 2011 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
trepstrer wrote:
I wanted to write a plugin for adding a karma feature per user. However as I understand, current plugin architecture allows changes only during template compilation. And for my plugin it requires also some javascript (AJAX) stuff and that's beyond current plugin capabilities. I'll write a patch probably.

A patch would be great, otherwise just document it as a manual action. We'll address it with the next release.
Re: Plugin Writing Contest [message #164827 is a reply to message #164701] Thu, 17 March 2011 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Some ideas for plugins that should only take a couple of minutes or hours to implement:

* Paypal - allow admins to add a paypal button to their forum to accept donations.

* Lightbox - embed jQuery to turn attachments into a pop-up image gallery/slider.

* Implement additional BBcode tags, like embedding videos (look at the youtube plugin).

* Invent a new CAPTCHA challenge to prevent non-humans from registering/posting to your forum.

Re: Plugin Writing Contest [message #165113 is a reply to message #164827] Wed, 27 April 2011 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Our first entry is Dayo's Fudla Plugin (a FUDforum to Joomla! bridge).

I hope we'll see more entries before the deadline on Saturday. If not, I will enter my own Dropbox and Ftp backup plugins to get to a total of 3 entries.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Plugin Writing Contest [message #167835 is a reply to message #165113] Wed, 17 October 2012 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shaman is currently offline  Shaman   Canada

It would be great if we had another of these.......... I'd like to see the youtube tag made standard and extended to allow embedding from vimeo as well.

Re: Plugin Writing Contest [message #167836 is a reply to message #167835] Thu, 18 October 2012 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Here is a new youtube_tag. plugin that will also recognize VIMEO tags for you to test:
http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=5552&view=rev
Re: Plugin Writing Contest [message #168058 is a reply to message #167836] Thu, 03 January 2013 17:55 Go to previous message
Shaman is currently offline  Shaman   Canada

I've already put the vimeo plug-in to use. And also patched it for metacafe.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: FUDforum 3.0.4.1 released
Next Topic: FUDforum 3.0.5RC1 released
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:12:46 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02767 seconds