FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Why is FUDforum one of the most (if not the most) secure forum out there
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon5.gif  Why is FUDforum one of the most (if not the most) secure forum out there [message #164484] Wed, 09 February 2011 07:37 Go to next message
pMay is currently offline  pMay   Germany
On your Wiki (sorry can't post Links) you say
that FUDforum is "one of the most (if not the most) secure
forum out there
".

I would like to know how you come to this conclusion?
What have you done to make it secure that other boards
do not have?

Thanks.
Re: Why is FUDforum one of the most (if not the most) secure forum out there [message #164485 is a reply to message #164484] Wed, 09 February 2011 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
Source code is compiled from location that is not reachable by the webserver.

Latest real known security hole was in version FUDforum version 2.0.2 in July 17th 2002. (As far as I know)

There was an issue up until version 2.7.1 for forums who allowed all forms of avatar uploads also, where one could upload a script and run things on the server.

There has previously been no plugin support, so there are no insecure plugins as of yet, while for other forums who sometimes have thousand different possible plugins, introduce a plethora of security issues. If we now should say that the limited choice of plugins is a good thing, I do not know hehe.

Quick google for security flaws in for example phpBB (which is a good forum software, do not get me wrong) you will find hundreds if not thousand different exploits over the years.

I am sure FUD has a few holes still and it will sting when they are found or new techs are developed to abuse them, but until then FUD is a nice friendly software =)

[Updated on: Wed, 09 February 2011 13:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Why is FUDforum one of the most (if not the most) secure forum out there [message #164498 is a reply to message #164485] Sat, 12 February 2011 03:45 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Judged on the amount of old forum versions still in use (which hackers apparently cannot take down) the software is above average secure.
Besides new features, there is no leverage we can use to force users to upgrade to newer versions.

PS: The fact that the software is mostly secure and encourages secure practices, doesn't mean that every FUDforum installation is secure. For a good start, read Securing.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Syndicatiob etween 2 forums
Next Topic: Delete a Large Number of Posts at Once
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:56:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01860 seconds